Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truth about nitrous effects on pistons.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 01:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Truth about nitrous effects on pistons.

Hey, I have a pretty general question... I've browsed the stickies and searched but couldn't really find anything.

I know that under correct timing, CR, AFR, tune, etc a turbo car's pistons can last very long, won't slowly tear them apart. Is this true for nitrous? From my understanding, nitrous is basically just oxygen, basically a chemical turbo? But it's a violent reaction.. So can you set, for example, an ls2 goat up with a 150 shot and it not slowly develop holes in your pistons? or is there simply no way around it with nitrous.

Thanks,
Ricky
Old 05-23-2010, 11:00 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It only hurts pistons if the tune up is wrong.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:15 AM
Teching In

so the engine will have stock reliability is ran correctly.

Is a 150shot on an ls2, out of this category?
Old 05-23-2010, 11:56 AM
Launching!

I also have read post after post on the same subject before I got a kit.. I've learned is really about risk vs reward. Smaller shots activated at proper RPMs with proper electronic safe guards=lower risk. The bigger the shot at lower RPMs=higher risk. Seems like multiple factors go into the actual risk of failure. Devices can fail, engine physicaly can't handle the shot, A/F problems(lean or rich), but most common is a bad tune with 2 big of a shot. I just keep reading and learn something new everyday.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

you can also run a progressive unit and have it come on at 10% and gradualy elevate to 100% if you are worried about the violence of the initial hit
Old 05-23-2010, 02:19 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ATVracr
It only hurts pistons if the tune up is wrong.
And on that note, its not just nitrous that hurts pistons. You can blow an NA motor up with the wrong tune, a stock crate engine with the wrong tune. All piston related.

We have a dipshit at work that preeches dope destroys pistons and its stupid to run it on/in your car. There is no arguing with his old bastage *** either becuase he is ignorant to understand the real affects.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:33 PM
Teching In

So running a 150shot can be done on an LS2 reliably. Very cool. I have alot to learn, but that's great to hear.

1904, do you run a progressive shot?
Old 05-23-2010, 09:03 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=Obsidiansixer;13371057]So running a 150shot can be done on an LS2 reliably. Very cool. I have alot to learn, but that's great to hear.

The best part is you can drive all day NA putting very little stress on equipment. Then with the flick of a switch and with the proper electronics you can spray the crap out of it safley!!
Old 05-24-2010, 03:25 AM
Teching In

I can imagine the only time I'd use it is for drag racing. N/A on public roads.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

yes with the proper tune up and equipment you shouldnt have a problem. Ive been spraying my SS with a 150 wet kit since 58k and now it just rolled 136k. No problems with it at all except tires and a clutch now and then. LOL
Old 05-24-2010, 06:50 AM
TECH Resident

I run a progressive on one of my cars, it makes almost 800 rwhp. So on the street, or a crappy track, it's nice to be able to launch the car at a lower percent & allow it to ramp to prevent tire spin.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Obsidiansixer
So running a 150shot can be done on an LS2 reliably. Very cool. I have alot to learn, but that's great to hear.

1904, do you run a progressive shot?
nah i got a good deal on a n20outlet dual channel windowswitch so i picked it up
prolly later down the road im a get a progressive when i go into bigger shot range
Old 05-25-2010, 09:22 PM

its best to run a smart system if you are new to the game, bottle pressure and the temp out side will efect everything, the longer ur in it the more you want to meet ur piston in person, i dont want this to turn into another brand fight but a zex kit it u dont plan on going over 150 is a great system. bottle heater is not the best but it is safe, a heater with a pressure switch is best, takes zex forever to get up to temp. but the system will adjust is you are ever lower on the pressure. I noticed somthing thow.... ur pic shows a turbo system???? i hope u know if that is the same car ur gana juice then,,,,, yea.... maybe a diferent car, but if it aint then you may want to rethink this. A major tune will have to be done to keep that together.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:31 PM
Teching In

Lol, thats my turbo V6. Almost done btw!!!! Hoping for 550rwhp & 10's. :]

I DD a 320k mile 1998 firebird. Lol, it's falling apart, I need a new DD. It's gonna be LSX. bolt ons and 150shot is the setup I was gaining for.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:05 PM
9 Second Club

I used to go through a 15lb bottle every week. That got expensive.

Some basic rules of thumb on Nitrous:
1. Retard ignition timing by 4-8 degrees (1 to 1-1/2 degrees timing retard per 50 HP gain)
2. Be safe and use better fuel on nitrous. Anything above say 125 shot use some 100octane to be safe. I used 125 on pump gas all the time with no issues
3. Don't user nitrous for more then say 15 seconds. Nitrous creates increased cylinder pressures which caused a lot of heat. With lots of heat you can cause pre-ignition or worse full detonation. The longer you keep the juice on the hotter the motor gets until things are glowing red hot and you jump into full detonation and KABOOM!
4. The hypereutectic pistons that come stock in a lot of cars are really hard and don't like detonation at all. They aren't forgiving at all will shatter if full detonation occurs.
5. Check your spark plugs often and consider a colder plug.
6. Nitrous should only be eneabled above a certain RPM (say 3000) make sure you have an RPM switch to enable it. Having nitrous backup into your intake can cause a nasty bang. A guys hood almost landed on my car once on a drag strip run due to that.
7. Nitrous tends to shock your drivetrain. Make sure you have the hardware to handle the power.

I went Turbo because I loved the power all the time and it seemed like I was running out of it way too often.

Make sure you have a Fire Extinguisher handy also.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYAI0rwRsbU&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1cPuJza_Aw&NR=1
Old 05-26-2010, 09:25 PM
Teching In

Great info! if there a way to guaruntee that it doesnt puddle up in the intake?
Old 05-26-2010, 09:54 PM
9 Second Club

I always thought it was the fuel that was puddling on the intake. If for example you didn't purge your nitrous and it had air in it. You're putting lots of fuel in there with no nitrous. Or if you bog the motor you could also cause fuel to puddle in there.

Here's a link to some pretty good information:
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ely/index.html
Old 05-26-2010, 11:57 PM
Teching In

wow great link man!

Thanks a ton!

So all in all, I should be fine.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Obsidiansixer
Hey, I have a pretty general question... I've browsed the stickies and searched but couldn't really find anything.
This question is asked all the time, its just not worded as fancy. People just normally say can my car handle this amount of shot? or what are the affects of this amount of a shot? or what do i need to run this size shot of no2? Its all the same so yes the stickies and all these threads have your answer already if you really think about it.
You should post your v6 buildup in the FI section if you havent and get some pictures too, now there is a good thread to start...

Quick Reply: Truth about nitrous effects on pistons.