Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Little help here. Wet or dry? I'm new to this stuff.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 10:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Little help here. Wet or dry? I'm new to this stuff.

I plan on getting a nitrous kit for my car very soon. I hear to get a dry kit from some and others say wet. I'm very new to spray, so could you guys help me out here?!! I'm not looking to spend a ton of money. I can always get more for the kit down the road. Like bottle heater,ect... I just want to spray.lol
Old 07-18-2010, 12:34 PM
Teching In

You can use the search function, theres alot of stuff on wet vs dry.

Basically, it is the same thing, except wet you are introducing FUEL on top of nitrous through a solenoid and line.(you have to tap into fuel line or get a reservoir)

With dry, you have to spray before the MAF which reads that theres more & colder "AIR" passing through. The MAF in turn tells the injectors to spray more fuel to match the increase in air. So with dry you are relying more on your computer. There is such a thing as the HSW controller which takes care of the increase in fuel necessity electronically, allowing you to be able to spray your dry kit from anywhere.

I'm picking up a kit probably next week. For me, I'm going as simple as possible.

-Tank
-Lines
-Solenoid
-Jet/Nozzle
-Arming switch
-NAWZ BUTTON
Old 07-18-2010, 12:45 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm gettin a kit to hsw has them on sale dry for 289.99 does not come with a window switch.I do not know a lot about the gas but my friend does he told me if your gonna stick with a small shot 75 or 100 dry is the easiest to install. Some say dry some say wet . I'm going dry hsw has there all out parts kit that comes with everything you need to run a safe set up . Give them a call there customer service is great
Old 07-18-2010, 12:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it really depends on how much you're gonna let the "go fast" bug carry ya.
If you plan on not going too nuts and want to keep it fairly inexpensive and simple, go dry, it's good to about 125 pretty safely (always assuming you have enough fuel pump).

Wet kits to me hit harder, and are more upgradable. They're easier to tune the fueling without having tuning software or taking it in for tuning. Since you're paying for 1 more solenoid and extra hoses/fittings/relays, the up-front cost is a bit more though.

Either kit you should have a way to pull timing. Many sponsors here have aftermarket timing tuning kits if you want to just be able to arm it and go.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by V-10 Killer
Either kit you should have a way to pull timing. Many sponsors here have aftermarket timing tuning kits if you want to just be able to arm it and go.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't pulling the timing a few degrees just a precaution up to a certain point?

Anything less than 150 dry shot should be just fine correct?
Old 07-19-2010, 10:03 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OnYoGooch
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't pulling the timing a few degrees just a precaution up to a certain point?

It has been debated quite a bit, some say it's ok, some say no. Some people are content trusing the factory knock sensors if anything goes awry.
But let me ask it this way, if you're getting towed back home with a damaged engine, would a few hundred dollar safety item have been worth it? If you don't get one right away, I would at least recommend budgeting one in before purges, bottle openers, bottle heaters, etc...but that's just my opinion, and we all know what opinions are like
Old 07-19-2010, 10:07 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1gt2nv
I plan on getting a nitrous kit for my car very soon. I hear to get a dry kit from some and others say wet. I'm very new to spray, so could you guys help me out here?!! I'm not looking to spend a ton of money. I can always get more for the kit down the road. Like bottle heater,ect... I just want to spray.lol
What is done to your car modification and fuel delivery wise?
What are your future plans with the car?
What are your tuning capabilities?

Dave
Old 07-19-2010, 10:32 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by OnYoGooch

Back in the day with the LS1 using good gas and the correct plugs it was common to be able to spray up to a 100-150 with out the need to pull timing on some cars. We still always varified. Once the LS2 was introduced that changed alot. We started seeing cars from the factory with some degree of knock retard on a factory tune N/A. My LS3 camaro only likes 24 degrees N/A so to spray on the factory tune with out removing timing may have vary well been a piston killer.

With todays technology and tuning capabilities there is no reason not to spend a few extra dollars and time and make sure the tune is correct for the job.. If you cant afford to make sure the tune up is right dont spray... You surely can not afford to put a motor in it...

Dave
Old 07-19-2010, 04:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
What is done to your car modification and fuel delivery wise?
What are your future plans with the car?
What are your tuning capabilities?

Dave
The car has all the bolt ons you can do.
Stock fuel system. Future mods are cam/heads/stall.
I have nothing to tune the car with at this time.
Will get a dyno tune down the road.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:40 PM
FormerVendor

With the stock fuel system and bolt ons you should be ok for a 100 hp. Add a race tronix kit and the stock bottom end will easily take 150.00.

Based off what you have told me I would do a wet single nozzle or plate system. You will have the ease of tuning the airfuel in by simply just changing out the fuel jet. No need to worry about injectors as you move up in the power level. You can easily add a lingenfelter to remove timing and you have full tuning ability with out having to get in the pcm.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:53 PM
11 Second Club

I would always better be safe than sorry. I prefer the wet plate kits and will always pull timing.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:11 AM
TECH Regular

Do it right ( Nitrous Outlet Specific Package )
Old 07-22-2010, 08:03 AM
FormerVendor

I would recommend going with Dave's wet vehicle specific system. Not only does it look awesome it performs even better. Plus if you ever decide to go with a NANO it looks killer with Daves setup