Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which to do first???
Cam
54.17%
Spray
45.83%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Cam+spray guys, if you were to do it again....

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 02:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Cam+spray guys, if you were to do it again....

What would you do first the cam or spray??? The set up I've wanted to do ever since I bought her and after some research was putting a cam in and spraying I'm in need of some modding soon since my bro bought a terminator and I'm having a hard time deciding which mod to go with first. He's just got an exhaust and CAI but I'm sure he'll be putting in some pullies in the next few months so I'd like to give him some good competition. I've been almost full bolt-ons for a while and I think it's the perfect time to do a little upgrade
Old 08-03-2010, 03:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Id make sure the rest of your driveline can handle the spray. Clutch, rear, etc.....Also depends on what you plan to use the car for, digs, rolls......I love having the cam and having the power all the time not just when the bottle is full and recently the price of N20 has gone up so ive been lazy getting my bottle filled. Its a blast when you need it but pain to get it filled sometimes, plsu there is nothing worse then getting your *** busted because the bottle is empty. You cant use the ricer excuse either when it happens lol.

If you dont think youll have money for a while after a cam then do spray first since itll be more bang for your buck.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:55 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 01SuperSport
What would you do first the cam or spray??? The set up I've wanted to do ever since I bought her and after some research was putting a cam in and spraying I'm in need of some modding soon since my bro bought a terminator and I'm having a hard time deciding which mod to go with first. He's just got an exhaust and CAI but I'm sure he'll be putting in some pullies in the next few months so I'd like to give him some good competition. I've been almost full bolt-ons for a while and I think it's the perfect time to do a little upgrade
I can only give you my personal experiences and see if it's the route that best suites you. I started with just bolt-ons such as LTs and lid and went 12.82 on a soft launch due to the 10bolt (went 13.0 on street tires). Then I went with adding just a cam and went 12.3. Very soon after I broke the 10 bolt then went with a Moser 9, virtually no changes to the car but just rear I went 11.92 because I could actually launch the car. Then as weather got better and my driving I went an 11.75 on ET Streets. Started tearing up clutches so I switched to an auto. The auto went about the same NA times as the 6sp so I was happy with the swap. Recently I just got my N20 installed and my first pass out the gate on a 150 shot with less than pristine conditions I went a 10.9.

My suggestion is always buy a part for the future, not for the moment. Been there done that and then bought the new part I really needed. Good Luck!
Old 08-03-2010, 07:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the order in which I did the mods to my car.

HPTuners
N2O
Headers/exhaust
Built tranny/converter
Cam
Intake
Suspension
Bogarts

Next saga is installing my ported heads within a couple of weeks.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:41 AM
TECH Resident

Once you get Nitrous in your blood, it is hard to get out. The $$$$ will be the deciding factor before you actually start thinking about a turbo. I love the squeeze....
Old 08-03-2010, 11:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 02 BLK WS6
Here's the order in which I did the mods to my car.

HPTuners
N2O
Headers/exhaust
Built tranny/converter
Cam
Intake
Suspension
Bogarts

Next saga is installing my ported heads within a couple of weeks.
Damn I had the same exact list except I'm currently stuck on the built trans/converter. If your drivetrain can handle it(no 10 bolt lol) I'd go with the spray first. It's not permanent power but it's a lot more "bang-for-buck," much easier to install and the gains are much greater(when you actually need it).
Old 08-03-2010, 12:23 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Quick Sh0t xMLx
Damn I had the same exact list except I'm currently stuck on the built trans/converter. If your drivetrain can handle it(no 10 bolt lol) I'd go with the spray first. It's not permanent power but it's a lot more "bang-for-buck," much easier to install and the gains are much greater(when you actually need it).
I'm still sporting a 10 bolt. A 9'' is one of the last things on my list.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:46 PM
TECH Resident

[QUOTE=Carter01;13684730]My suggestion is always buy a part for the future, not for the moment. Been there done that and then bought the new part I really needed. Good Luck![/QUOT

^^^Yea when I first started research on the forums I learned this and it really is the best tip you can get which I've been doing. I just put in a built tranny and a stall to compliment the cam I'm going to put in in the fututre. My drivetrain should be fine besides the 10 bolt. Just don't know what I want to put in first
Old 08-03-2010, 03:46 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the input so far guys!!!!!
Old 08-03-2010, 03:49 PM
TECH Resident

Don't know what I want first a nice lopey idle or a bottle in between my back seats
Old 08-03-2010, 03:52 PM
On The Tree

Both at the same time so you only have to get tuned once.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I did spray first since I go to the track more. A cam is more fun on a street car in my opinion. Since you live in the valley, I'd do a cam and enjoy going to Bobs Big Boy on friday nights.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:30 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by chevynation
Both at the same time so you only have to get tuned once.
That's what I wanted to do but since I go to school and not working much do to the economy I have to pick one of this mods to have fun with for a while

Last edited by 01SuperSport; 08-05-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:34 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TA1364
I did spray first since I go to the track more. A cam is more fun on a street car in my opinion. Since you live in the valley, I'd do a cam and enjoy going to Bobs Big Boy on friday nights.
Since I don't go to the track and usually just cruise it and have friendly races with some of my friends that's sounds like a good idea
Old 08-06-2010, 09:17 AM
12 Second Club

It was really a 50/50 for me. the cam, if youre going with a big one, has other things involved. like driving characteristics, and awesome sound. spray will behave mostly the same either way.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99_Z_155
It was really a 50/50 for me. the cam, if youre going with a big one, has other things involved. like driving characteristics, and awesome sound. spray will behave mostly the same either way.
Yea I'm really 50/50 with the decision. The cam that I plan to put in is the one you've got so it's not too big and will hopefully tighten up and work really well with my converter.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:48 PM
On The Tree

keep in mind if you do a cam you'll be looking at some money spent on tuning. if you want the car to idle right and get full power from the cam your going to need tuning so factor that in. i just did a cam, lt headers, exhaust, plate kit, dry shot, 60lb fuel injectors, plugs, plug wires, ls7 clutch, ls2 flywheel, and alll the supporting mods for a cam, such as a new oil pump, push rods, dual springs, ti retainers, and the car made almost 400 on motor and over 500 on spray
Old 08-06-2010, 05:21 PM
TECH Resident

^^^That's why I'm asking which one you guys would do first if you could do it again

Last edited by 01SuperSport; 08-06-2010 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:33 PM
TECH Resident

Refilling the bottles gets old. It's not as fun when the bottle pressure is low.

The order I bought parts in
LS6 intake, full exhaust, tune
converter
transmission rebuild
cam
N20

Plan ahead like someone else mentioned.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01SuperSport
^^^That's why I'm asking which one you guys would do first if you could do it again

i guess im not much help... i did all of that at the same time. i can see why its a hard choice but both have there ups and downs. do the nitrous first and then when you get your cam you'll be ready to get your tune.

Quick Reply: Cam+spray guys, if you were to do it again....