Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spraying in 5th .. BOOOOM ??? ..

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 02:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spraying in 5th .. BOOOOM ??? ..

Hi N2O Guys,

Just cannot get to sleep cause of the horror stories I heard about a backfire that might be occurred when spraying in 5th gear with gear ratio of 3.42

Some say that the 5th is overdrive gear and with 3.42 rear gear ratio the engine is actually spinning slower than the wheels. Which can cause the fuel and N2O to load up in the cylinders and then I will lose my NICE LOVELY $800+ PORTED FAST INTAKE, $250 MAF, Lid, might be the engine or the car itself

Current Suggestions :-

- Not Spraying in 5th !.. while the race ( against a bike ) will required to do that 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th ..
- Going with a lower numerical gear in the rear to avoid spraying in 5th .. but I will lose my acceleration N/A

The car is 01 SS M6 with mods in sign ( Bolt-ons ) only plus the below nitrous system

NO 92mm Wet Plate System with C16 in NO Standalone fuel cell
I didn't forget the MUST list ( Progressive Controller, Timing Control, Bottle Heater, FPSS ... ) Also BR7EF and BR8EF are kept in stock in my home

So guys are these only rumors about nitrous from FI guys or it is real ?? .. and what do you think ??

Last edited by Cold Zero; 07-14-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:01 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like BS to me.

7500 RPM 194.97 MPH
7000 RPM 181.98 MPH
6500 RPM 168.98 MPH
6000 RPM 155.98 MPH
5500 RPM 142.98 MPH
5000 RPM 129.98 MPH
4500 RPM 116.98 MPH
4000 RPM 103.99 MPH
3500 RPM 90.99 MPH
3000 RPM 77.99 MPH

Going by 26" tires, 3.42 gear and .87 trans gearing as long as your over 100 mph I'd say your OK spraying it..... you should be 130mph or better before you shift to 5th.

Alot of stuff to consider when spraying for that long (2nd gear thru 5th) ... #1 would be heat, longer you spray it the more heat you build.
Bottle drop has to be alot also.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ATVracr
Sounds like BS to me.

7500 RPM 194.97 MPH
7000 RPM 181.98 MPH
6500 RPM 168.98 MPH
6000 RPM 155.98 MPH
5500 RPM 142.98 MPH
5000 RPM 129.98 MPH
4500 RPM 116.98 MPH
4000 RPM 103.99 MPH
3500 RPM 90.99 MPH
3000 RPM 77.99 MPH

Going by 26" tires, 3.42 gear and .87 trans gearing as long as your over 100 mph I'd say your OK spraying it..... you should be 130mph or better before you shift to 5th.

Alot of stuff to consider when spraying for that long (2nd gear thru 5th) ... #1 would be heat, longer you spray it the more heat you build.
Bottle drop has to be alot also.
Thanks for your reply ATVracr

Don't you think using C16 in standalone will help to eleminate that heat built ?
Old 12-15-2010, 03:43 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Cold Zero
Thanks for your reply ATVracr

Don't you think using C16 in standalone will help to eleminate that heat built ?
It will help but no matter what the longer your in it the more heat your making. Maybe spray 3rd - 5th instead. LOL !
Old 12-15-2010, 03:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ATVracr
It will help but no matter what the longer your in it the more heat your making. Maybe spray 3rd - 5th instead. LOL !
3rd to 5th and the bike will reach the end race distance alone like there is no SS racing him . LOL !
Old 12-15-2010, 06:05 PM
9 Second Club

3rd to 5th and the bike will reach the end race distance alone like there is no SS racing him . LOL !
More nitrous 2nd-4th then !!

With 3.42's that thing should go 150+mph in 4th ... what kinda race is it? 1st one o 200mph?
Old 12-15-2010, 06:21 PM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

As ATV said. Much more heat build up. Your tune will need to be very conservative for that. I would pull a few degrees out for whenever you are pulling that long.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:25 PM
TECH Regular

Put a 28" tire on the car and spray 2nd through 4th, spraying all the way through 5th is gonna build alot of heat (like stated above)^^. It will take you quite a bit longer to get all the way through 5th and compared to the other gears.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

dont know about the 5th gear, but i had a backfire in 4th and i lost the backside of my intake, that was with a spot on tune and a 150 shot,i THINK what happened is i lost the fuel pump and nitrous puddled up in the cylenders
Old 12-15-2010, 08:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Current Suggestions :-

- Not Spraying in 5th !.. while the race ( against a bike ) will required to do that 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th ..
- Going with a lower numerical gear in the rear to avoid spraying in 5th .. but I will lose my acceleration N/A
There is nothing wrong with spraying in 5th if you are at WOT and don't skip gears. As long as the RPM's are high, not a problem.
I think you should go to a 3.73 or even a 4.10 gears, depending on how long is going to be the race (you need to find the highest acceleration up to 5th gear).

The only problem I see is the duration of the race, You will spray nitrous for too long. Even if you have 2 bottles to avoid nitrous starvation, you will overheat the engine, because nitrous isn't supposed to be used for that long.

Find what works best, spraying 2nd, 3rd and 4th vs 3rd, 4th and 5th
I think if you spray 1st and even 2nd you'll only spin the tires.

How big is the shot? Which tires you're using?
You can try going for a smaller shot to use it for longer, or install a water-meth kit to cool the engine
It's going to be a tough race anyway.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:13 PM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

Originally Posted by MontecarloDrag
There is nothing wrong with spraying in 5th if you are at WOT and don't skip gears. As long as the RPM's are high, not a problem.
I think you should go to a 3.73 or even a 4.10 gears, depending on how long is going to be the race (you need to find the highest acceleration up to 5th gear).

The only problem I see is the duration of the race, You will spray nitrous for too long. Even if you have 2 bottles to avoid nitrous starvation, you will overheat the engine, because nitrous isn't supposed to be used for that long.

Find what works best, spraying 2nd, 3rd and 4th vs 3rd, 4th and 5th

You can try going for a smaller shot to use it for longer, or install a water-meth kit to cool the engine
Not sure where to start but...

There is a problem spraying in 5th gear. That is high load being placed on the motor. This will demand a more conservative tune up to keep parts alive.

Nitrous starvation? I take this as pressure drop. This isnt too much of an issue in keeping the motor alive. It will decrease some performance however.

Nitrous can be used for any length of time if setup properly. We have lots of users that use them for Top speed runs, even in the salt flats. It just takes the right parts and tuneup.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:57 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NitrousExpress
There is a problem spraying in 5th gear. That is high load being placed on the motor. This will demand a more conservative tune up to keep parts alive.

Nitrous starvation? I take this as pressure drop. This isnt too much of an issue in keeping the motor alive. It will decrease some performance however.

Nitrous can be used for any length of time if setup properly. We have lots of users that use them for Top speed runs, even in the salt flats. It just takes the right parts and tuneup.
I agree with most of this, but He asked if 5th gear+nitrous=blown engine. Thats not the case, not necessarily.

Sadly, 4th and 5th gear is where hes going to need nitrous the most, because he won't be able to keep up with the bike without it.

I think with proper rear gears and nitrous he may even win.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:42 PM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

Originally Posted by MontecarloDrag
I agree with most of this, but He asked if 5th gear+nitrous=blown engine. Thats not the case, not necessarily.

Sadly, 4th and 5th gear is where hes going to need nitrous the most, because he won't be able to keep up with the bike without it.

Im not sure where where I disagreed with that statement. Quite the opposite.

Do you even know what bike this is?
Old 12-16-2010, 02:11 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NitrousExpress
Im not sure where where I disagreed with that statement. Quite the opposite.

Do you even know what bike this is?
No, but bikes are too damn fast at top speed.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:58 AM
TECH Regular

More nitrous 2nd-4th then !!

With 3.42's that thing should go 150+mph in 4th ... what kinda race is it? 1st one o 200mph?
We talk to bike owner ( Sarad 750 ) and he refused to race from a dig .. he wants rolling 80 KMH (50 MPH ) up to 800 Meter ( 1/2 Mile ) that's mean I will not need to run full 5th band .. But just to finish the determined distance

We raced a 750 Sarad form a dig up to More than 1/4 Mile in my friend's Mustang LX ( 125 shot ) and here the result

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qum43ShMHc

It seems like we need to test the car with sprayed 2nd, 3rd, 4th and see if we can keep up to 800 meter ( 1/2 mile ) or not while we reached that limit of 4th N/A at 700 Meter ) otherwise we need to start without spray from 2nd and arm the system in 3rd and 4th

As ATV said. Much more heat build up. Your tune will need to be very conservative for that. I would pull a few degrees out for whenever you are pulling that long.
Now another expert is saying no in 5th .. so I think the below idea sounds the way to go

Put a 28" tire on the car and spray 2nd through 4th, spraying all the way through 5th is gonna build alot of heat (like stated above)^^. It will take you quite a bit longer to get all the way through 5th and compared to the other gears.
Thanks 03supercobra .. it seems the only way to go .. thanks for pointing me to that .. it will be much better than gear change .. really appreciated

dont know about the 5th gear, but i had a backfire in 4th and i lost the backside of my intake, that was with a spot on tune and a 150 shot,i THINK what happened is i lost the fuel pump and nitrous puddled up in the cylenders
That's why Fuel Pressure Safety Switch is a cheap insurance .. hope the backfire didn't damage anything or only the intake ?

150 shot and I'm running 275/40 17 MT tires .. It seems the 28" tire is the way to go

the race gonna start in 2nd, I have good tire and suspension mods .. also progressive controller is there to soften the hit if needed

Actually I'm not looking to win .. a close race is enough, it will not be for cash

Again thanks guys for sharing such great information and ideas ..

Last edited by Cold Zero; 12-16-2010 at 06:55 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

We talk to bike owner ( Sarad 750 ) and he refused to race from a dig .. he wants rolling 80 KMH (50 MPH ) up to 800 Meter ( 1/2 Mile ) that's mean I will not need to run full 5th band .. But just to finish the determined distance

We raced a 750 Sarad form a dig up to More than 1/4 Mile in my friend's Mustang LX ( 125 shot ) and here the result

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qum43ShMHc

It seems like we need to test the car with sprayed 2nd, 3rd, 4th and see if we can keep up to 800 meter ( 1/2 mile ) or not while we reached that limit of 4th N/A at 700 Meter ) otherwise we need to start without spray from 2nd and arm the system in 3rd and 4th

Now another expert is saying no in 5th .. so I think the below idea sounds the way to go

Thanks 03supercobra .. it seems the only way to go .. thanks for pointing me to that .. it will be much better than gear change .. really appreciated

That's why Fuel Pressure Safety Switch is a cheap insurance .. hope the backfire didn't damage anything or only the intake ?

150 shot and I'm running 275/40 17 MT tires .. It seems the 28" tire is the way to go

the race gonna start in 2nd, I have good tire and suspension mods .. also progressive controller is there to soften the hit if needed

Actually I'm not looking to win .. a close race is enough, it will not be for cash

Again thanks guys for sharing such great information and ideas ..
are you crazy... if your wondering what might happen to your car .. or thinking hmmm i might break my car .... i know damn sure i would be racing for cash... but to each his own
Old 12-16-2010, 11:50 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1986irocz28
are you crazy... if your wondering what might happen to your car .. or thinking hmmm i might break my car .... i know damn sure i would be racing for cash... but to each his own

I race for fun not for cash, and down here races for cash are rare ( 1 race for cash might be happened a year ) ... and it will only ended up making hates amoung race cars owners and I don't like that
Old 12-16-2010, 12:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Let me give you a good piece of advice.

And it's very simple.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER give anyone the race that they want. If you do you are giving up a chance at the win. Even if it's just for fun.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I raced a GSXR1000 up to about 150-160 one day a few years ago. We went from a roll and I sprayed 125 dry shot 3rd - 5th. I had no issues whatsoever and the guy on the bike couldn't believe how I pulled on him.

I also had a 9" rear with 4.11's. The car had full bolt-ons and was cam only at the time.

My best advice is if you're worried about spraying your car then don't do it. A race isn't worth blowing something up if you can't afford it.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I race for fun not for cash, and down here races for cash are rare ( 1 race for cash might be happened a year ) ... and it will only ended up making hates amoung race cars owners and I don't like that
It's the complete opposite here... or at least back in the day when I hung around that scene more often. A free race isn't worth the risk. The compensation/reward has to be worth even taking the car out of the garage.

Quick Reply: Spraying in 5th .. BOOOOM ??? ..