Sponsored by:

Nitrous disc

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitrous disc

Hi
1)what are the causes if the burst disc(cap) blowing up ?
2)what will happen if the burst disc(cap) blew up ?
3)what will happen if the nitrous vent out of the nitrous bottle into the car ?
tanks
Old 12-28-2010, 11:03 AM
Teching In

The disc is a safety device designed to relieve pressure in the bottle before it reaches the point where the bottle itself fails. Properly installed, it shouldn't pop unless bottle pressure exceeds its rating (usually 3000 psi) but if the fitting is over-torqued, it can rupture at a lower pressure.

NHRA rules say that any time a nitrous bottle shares the same space with the driver - in other words, there is no solid firewall or barrier between it and the passenger compartment - you must have a blowdown tube to direct the outlet of the safety release outside the car. This is because a blown burst disc will cause the entire contents of the bottle to empty in a matter of 1-2 seconds, which will displace all the air inside the car and has the potential to asphyxiate you.

Even if the bottle is in a separate trunk, a blowdown tube is a very, very good idea.

The only times I have seen burst discs go have been when somebody has defeated the safety thermostat on an electric bottle heater and left it on - check this out:

http://techweasel.blogsome.com/2009/...-happy-ending/
Old 12-28-2010, 11:10 AM
TECH Resident

^^^^^^^Correct on Most^^^^^ Only thing that I don't agree with is the time it takes to evac all the nitrous in the bottle, I have seen them take as much as a min to empty on a 10# bottle. They do make 4500 psi burst disc, but that's kinda stupid imo because there is no need to run pressure that high.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 885 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by G8GT7
Hi
1)what are the causes if the burst disc(cap) blowing up ?
2)what will happen if the burst disc(cap) blew up ?
3)what will happen if the nitrous vent out of the nitrous bottle into the car ?
tanks
3)You will probably wreck your car or at the very least **** your pants.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by krissoto
^^^^^^^Correct on Most^^^^^ Only thing that I don't agree with is the time it takes to evac all the nitrous in the bottle, I have seen them take as much as a min to empty on a 10# bottle. They do make 4500 psi burst disc, but that's kinda stupid imo because there is no need to run pressure that high.
It depends on how the disc actually ruptures, but yah. Best case is a slow release, but planning for the best case is not my usual policy :-)

Also NEVER EVER EVER use a disc rated for more than the test pressure of the bottle! If you're blowing 3k discs in a nitrous bottle (which shouldn't ever be above 1300 psi unless it's being abused/overheated) something is wrong, and you need to fix it, not defeat the safety device.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:43 AM
FormerVendor

Didn't you already ask this question? I could have sworn I read this before...but I guess I read alot of the same stuff over and over on here.

1) Over-pressureization, or improper torque when installing burst disc can cause the burst disc to rupture.
2) Your bottle empties quickly.
3) Your car becomes engulfed with nitrous vapor. I recommend using a blowdown tube to evacuate the nitrous out of the vehicle if this scenario occurs.

Nick
Old 12-28-2010, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Nick@HSW
Didn't you already ask this question? I could have sworn I read this before...but I guess I read alot of the same stuff over and over on here.

1) Over-pressureization, or improper torque when installing burst disc can cause the burst disc to rupture.
2) Your bottle empties quickly.
3) Your car becomes engulfed with nitrous vapor. I recommend using a blowdown tube to evacuate the nitrous out of the vehicle if this scenario occurs.

Nick
what do you mean by improper torque ?
ok and is it true that the nitrous bottle blows if it not certified I heard one accident with someone here
thanks
Old 12-28-2010, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

thank you all
Old 12-28-2010, 01:39 PM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok and is it true that the nitrous bottle blows if it not certified I heard one accident with someone here
thanks
If you over torque old style valve's cap's they will blow prematurely.

This is something we looked at and redesigned on our lightning valve. If you run NX its not something you will have to worry about.

Not being certified means just that, it is not certified and should not be ran. Most will not fill the bottles anyway.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:56 PM
Teching In

thanks
Every five years, you should have the tank hydrotested and recertified. All that means is that it's filled with water and run up to a specified test pressure to make sure the integrity of the tank hasn't been compromised. Not having it checked won't cause it to fail - it's just a way to identify bottles that have problems before they fail in service.

Look at the rounded shoulder of your nitrous bottle. It will have a month and year code stamped into it. Five years from that date, it's due for testing. Any good welding supply place can get it done for you, and it should cost around $20. A bottle that isn't abused (physical damage, but more often heating it with a torch) won't wear out, but whoever fills your bottle has no way of knowing how it's been treated. The stamp at least tells him it's been pressure tested at some point in the last five years.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:26 PM
On The Tree

I heard that a 10lb bottle blew up and there was a thread about it months go but why did it blew up ?
Old 12-29-2010, 11:29 AM
Teching In

I heard that a 10lb bottle blew up and there was a thread about it months go but why did it blew up ?

There's a couple of "famous" nitrous bottle failure stories that have gone around the net... First one I remember was the guy with the Maxima who wired up a bottle heater to bypass the thermostat and ended up with the back end of his car peeled like a banana. Then there's these pics:

http://techweasel.blogsome.com/2008/...rously-stupid/

Recently there was an incident where a bottle "fell over and blew up" in somebody's shop, and of course the ADRL fatality...

http://www.dragzine.com/features/edi...ottle-at-adrl/

The take-away from all of this is that any pressurized gas needs to be treated with respect - millions of people handle and use all different kinds of pressure tanks safely every day, but if you get complacent or stupid, they can kill you. Bottles don't just explode for no reason; without exception, these "accidents" are the direct result of mishandling or abuse.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:29 PM
FormerVendor

I have seen people first hand freeze the bottle and put 11 plus pounds in it to receive more capacity and blow the disc when it is cold.

Also, even though they are 3k burst discs many will blow way before it approaches 3k. More then likely it will blow around 1400 with a full heated bottle.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:03 AM
On The Tree

thanks all

anyone car to give an example of why do nitrous bottle blows up
Old 12-31-2010, 12:06 AM
TECH Resident

most I hear is that, the guys using a torch to heat their bottles, while using it somehow weakens the metal or something creating a weak spot, and being the bottles are pressurized, ***** gonna blow.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:13 PM
Chris@NitroDaves

Originally Posted by Brad@NANO Direct
I have seen people first hand freeze the bottle and put 11 plus pounds in it to receive more capacity and blow the disc when it is cold.
I've seen this aswell.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:17 PM
Chris@NitroDaves

thanks all

anyone car to give an example of why do nitrous bottle blows up
Someone Doubles up on the Safety Disc's

Heating it with a torch creating a weakened state over time

Dropping the bottle more than once from an elevation weakening the bottle

Getting a corrosive substance on it

Just a few examples that can cause the bottle to let go.

Quick Reply: Nitrous disc