Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

nitrous help before i get the tune???

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 07:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitrous help before i get the tune???

Hey wussup guys i got my car dynoed cam only last month and in the mean time I got a nitrous kit installed and my tuner said to come back for the nitrous tune when im ready so now im ready. He said that i could buy a IAT resistor switch to go from all motor tune to nitrous tune. Is this possible because ive heard that there is no timing table connected with the IAT with these cars. Expert advice thanks.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't even deal with that IAT crap. Just get you a timing tuner that way you will only pull timing when you activate the bottle.

Here you go

http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...26&section=141

the lingenfelter unit is easy to install. Just plugs into the wiring by the coil packs. It also has a launch control built in. Call Nitrous Outlet before you order because I think lingenfelter is re-designing that timing controller.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:43 AM
On The Tree

Yeah 87silverbullet you are right about a new version of Lingenfelter piece being in development. And you are entitled to your opinion about the IAT method. But the simple fact is that if the OP's tuner is familiar with a different, more cost-effective method of pulling timing, it may very well be an option to do it that way. The IAT resistor mod, as it may be called, simply allows a person to pull a set amount of timing with the flip of a switch, since these cars have a table in the PCM that explicitly references the Intake Air Temperature reading and adds or in this case, SUBTRACTS from the total delivered spark advance. The switch controls a circuit that throws a relay and puts a resistor of a specified value into the PCM's IAT circuit, and the tuner references the IAT SPARK ADVANCE CORRECTION table at the correct values in order to reduce total timing advance.

Last edited by KFZ)^; 04-25-2011 at 02:07 AM. Reason: added another pic
Old 04-25-2011, 08:26 AM
Launching!

ok thanks 87silverbullet and KFZ)^. So really what i heard wasnt true about I cant go and buy a IAT resistor for him to use for the tune.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by KFZ)^
Yeah 87silverbullet you are right about a new version of Lingenfelter piece being in development. And you are entitled to your opinion about the IAT method. But the simple fact is that if the OP's tuner is familiar with a different, more cost-effective method of pulling timing, it may very well be an option to do it that way. The IAT resistor mod, as it may be called, simply allows a person to pull a set amount of timing with the flip of a switch, since these cars have a table in the PCM that explicitly references the Intake Air Temperature reading and adds or in this case, SUBTRACTS from the total delivered spark advance. The switch controls a circuit that throws a relay and puts a resistor of a specified value into the PCM's IAT circuit, and the tuner references the IAT SPARK ADVANCE CORRECTION table at the correct values in order to reduce total timing advance.

To change the timing to spray more nitrous, do you have to go back to the tuner or do you just change the resistor to a different value?
Old 04-25-2011, 11:05 PM
On The Tree

The resistor doesn't have to be changed. The timing is pulled via the tune - See the table in the pic.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:25 AM
TECH Veteran

So I would have to have tuning software and a laptop to keep accessing the timing tables myself when I am tuning my nitrous by reading the plugs? Or I would have to the tuner on hand or keep going back to him?

For somebody who doesn't have any tuning software, the timing box would be easier for a newb or even a more experienced racer to pull timing for the nitrous plus you're back on motor tune once the nitrous button is released.

Can you make it flip back back and forth when needed with out having to use the software? I am just asking because some guys want to be able to flip back and forth instead of being stuck on their nitrous timing all the time.

Being a street racer the timing box works for me. When I have to go to a race immediately and I know who I am up against and I change my nitrous shot I can change my timing in 3 seconds.

I like the IAT idea because I could ramp it back in on the big end from what I see on the pic that was posted, but then I would need tuning software. I guess that will come later down the road.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:00 PM
On The Tree

No u really couldnt ramp it back in on the big end because the resistor would make the IAT think its at XXX*F and u would pull timing in that cell... The IAT trick is kinda cool but i have heard a few issues with it before, But like i said i "heard"... I use to fog mine in my airbox a LONG time ago and logged the spark advance and IAT to see where it was at in Temperature vs. Cylinder AirMass (g/cyl) cells and pulled my timing in those cell's.. Worked pretty well for me but need to keep an eye on the IAT Temperatures..