Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How big a shot can my fuel system support?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 01:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How big a shot can my fuel system support?

I just picked up Zex wet kit, I'm going to be installed it sometime this month. My car has FIC 42 lbers and a unhotwired Walboro 255 pump, how big of a shot will it support?
Old 10-25-2011, 04:09 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It should be able to support the max shot that kit can flow, which is about 150
Old 10-25-2011, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm going to start with a 75 shot just for the install and to work out any bugs.

If i want to to up the shot Zex is flywheel rated i believe so the 175 jet is more like 150 to wheel. how much n/a power will i loose by just pulling timing?

Car makes 466 by the way. Dont know if i can add a timing module like the Lingenfelter onto this zex kit.

The manual says 6 degrees of timing.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:56 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, the zex 175 is about 150 to the wheels and the most those solenoids will flow. You shouldn't lose too much power n/a if you're going to be on a nitrous tune, but if you go with the lingenfelter you can pull timing only when you're going to spray. 6 degrees would be safe to start with. Get a colder plug in there too.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:03 AM
Staging Lane

I believe is 1 degree for every 50 shot... yes you will loose power maybe 10to 20 HP.. I felt mine right away, untilled I bought the msd digital6 box
Old 10-26-2011, 06:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rmata
Yeah, the zex 175 is about 150 to the wheels and the most those solenoids will flow. You shouldn't lose too much power n/a if you're going to be on a nitrous tune, but if you go with the lingenfelter you can pull timing only when you're going to spray. 6 degrees would be safe to start with. Get a colder plug in there too.
When I start it off on the 75 what plugs should i have in there? I already have a brand new set or tr6's gap to 50 sitting in my shop.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1hotlt1
I believe is 1 degree for every 50 shot... yes you will loose power maybe 10to 20 HP.. I felt mine right away, untilled I bought the msd digital6 box
The rule of thumb is 2 for every 50. On an ls car you will not lose that much hp. I pulled 6 degrees on a 150 shot but didnt hit the nitrous on a dyno pull and I lost 7 hp on the dyno and that 7 hp could be from anything. It could of been the car cooling down between dyno runs or a change in the weather.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by My6speedZ
When I start it off on the 75 what plugs should i have in there? I already have a brand new set or tr6's gap to 50 sitting in my shop.
Throw them away get a br7ef and gap them to .032 since you will be going to a 150 shot later.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
Throw them away get a br7ef and gap them to .032 since you will be going to a 150 shot later.
THIS!!!! ^^^^^^^

Put the 7's in there, Pull the timing, clean the fuel up, and start adding timing back in it till your trap speed drops off and back the timing back down a degree or two and youre good. CHECK YOUR PLUGS AFTER EVERY RUN! There are a ton of threads about how to read plugs. I would invest some time into that. The better its tuned, the faster you will go and the longer the motor will last.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont know if Frost has any available but i use the black box he sent me a while ago when i flip the switch on for my nitrous it will go to nitrous tune and then when i turn off the switch to the nitrous it will go to max n/a tune, best of both worlds.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by armyboyatc
THIS!!!! ^^^^^^^

Put the 7's in there, Pull the timing, clean the fuel up, and start adding timing back in it till your trap speed drops off and back the timing back down a degree or two and youre good. CHECK YOUR PLUGS AFTER EVERY RUN! There are a ton of threads about how to read plugs. I would invest some time into that. The better its tuned, the faster you will go and the longer the motor will last.
Can i just do runs on the dyno? or does it need to be at the strip? I have no tuning software to pull it while at the strip.

Originally Posted by karpetcm
I dont know if Frost has any available but i use the black box he sent me a while ago when i flip the switch on for my nitrous it will go to nitrous tune and then when i turn off the switch to the nitrous it will go to max n/a tune, best of both worlds.
I've read about this on his site and i was wondering if you have to cut the car off or does it change on the fly?
Old 10-26-2011, 05:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was never told you have to cut the car off, just told as soon as you flip the switch on for the nitrous it changes the tune.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by karpetcm
I was never told you have to cut the car off, just told as soon as you flip the switch on for the nitrous it changes the tune.
How does this work? Dont you change the map's then arm the nitrous? How would it be wired directly to the nitrous system? and if your spraying a 75 dry shot, I wouldn't think you would need to pull that much timing if any at all hardly.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have seen many 150 hits tuned on the dyno but the BEST way to tune it is at the track. If u don't have HP tuners or a friend who has it then just have ur local reputable speed shop set it up for you.

The major difference is a dyno pull is about 3-4 seconds give or take and then u go out to the track and run it on the nitrous for 10 or 11 seconds. So u could be showing the heat on the plug just before the bend on the strap and have everything lookin good on the dyno and then u go out to the track and run it for 10 seconds and and the plugs show more heat into the bend of the strap which indicates u have too much timing in it which is bad. Too much timing on nitrous kills motors. I don't think u will hurt anything. I'm confident a reputable speed shop will do it right and tune it safe. I'm not trying to worry you, just trying to show u the most correct way and educate you lol.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im 10 minutes from PCMforless and Heintz racing. I'm going to have one of them tune, i'll discuss with them maybe doing a time trial 1/8 mile run on the dyno. Spray it through to gears maybe something like that. I know Alvin just did that nice 408 in the dyno section that was spraying a 250 shot i believe i think i will be ok with having them tune it, just want to make sure i know how to keep things safe and to what to pay attention to. Nitrous is far from a set and forget type thing.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by My6speedZ
Im 10 minutes from PCMforless and Heintz racing. I'm going to have one of them tune, i'll discuss with them maybe doing a time trial 1/8 mile run on the dyno. Spray it through to gears maybe something like that. I know Alvin just did that nice 408 in the dyno section that was spraying a 250 shot i believe i think i will be ok with having them tune it, just want to make sure i know how to keep things safe and to what to pay attention to. Nitrous is far from a set and forget type thing.
Yeah, get your tuner to tune it for the nitrous and when he is done, take it to the track and put a fresh set of plugs in it, make a pass and immediately after the pass, shut the car down and pull a plug and look at it or post a picture of it on here. I will be happy to look at it and hopefully ATVracer or ShiznittyZ28 will look at it and tell you what they think. They know their stuff when it comes to nitrous.

I know it sounds like a lot of work but if you want it to be safe then that is the best way to do it. The reason I say double check your tuners work is because no one cares about your motor more than you do. Not sayin that he is shitty or anything, dont get me wrong there BUT the best way to find out EXACTLY what is goin on is to test it in a real world environment.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah, get your tuner to tune it for the nitrous and when he is done, take it to the track and put a fresh set of plugs in it, make a pass and immediately after the pass, shut the car down and pull a plug and look at it or post a picture of it on here. I will be happy to look at it and hopefully ATVracer or ShiznittyZ28 will look at it and tell you what they think. They know their stuff when it comes to nitrous.

I know it sounds like a lot of work but if you want it to be safe then that is the best way to do it. The reason I say double check your tuners work is because no one cares about your motor more than you do. Not sayin that he is shitty or anything, dont get me wrong there BUT the best way to find out EXACTLY what is goin on is to test it in a real world environment.
good advice there.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's not overly complicated or involved, which piston? isn't there one that's known to go lean?

P.S. how do you like your spohn solid motor mounts, i just installed a set and a ES tranny mount but i havent gotten to drive on them yet I'm thinking i'm going to LOVE it
Old 10-29-2011, 06:30 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

why don't you travel a little farther to RPM Motorsports in Garner, NC.. one of the fastest nitrous cars in the country and held some records for awhile I believe.. thats who I'll be using for my nitrous tune
Old 10-29-2011, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by djfury05
why don't you travel a little farther to RPM Motorsports in Garner, NC.. one of the fastest nitrous cars in the country and held some records for awhile I believe.. thats who I'll be using for my nitrous tune
thats good to know thanks