Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Total timing for 200 shot?? what fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 11:15 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Total timing for 200 shot?? what fuel?

I have a ls1 with forged pistons and rods, ms3 cam, 243 heads, and its at 11.1-1 compression. i am looking to spray a 200 shot at it and just wanted to know what you guys were running for timing and what fuel you guys were running. i am currently on 62n 34f with 19 degrees total timing, will i be ok running 93 oct on a 200 shot? thanks for the help guys.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:57 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

total timing is irrelevant...every engine is different
Tune from your plugs...
and you can do pump gas with a 200 shot....but your tune needs to be good.

you should be on br6efs or br7efs plugs
shooting for 12.0~12.5 AFR ish to start...
and your plugs will tell you if you are too much timing or too hot of a plug or too much or too little fuel....

generally it is 2* per 50HP of nitrous...and then an extra 2* for safety
so total of -10* from your best Motor spark on the Dyno or track (and not just max spark it makes before knock).

put in clean plugs, do a run down the track... shut her down and pull the plugs...
lather, rinse, repeat until Happy with results.

you can also usually see when its done making power by watching your MPH... assuming nothing stupid happens, you will see either an increase or decrease of MPH with timing changes... when you stop going faster, you can stop adding timing...
and go by MPH because ET can change pretty easily by MPH will usually still be consistent.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:31 PM
Launching!

thank you for your advice, the only problem i am having is that i do not have tuning software to take with me to the track and i do not have the knowledge to tune my own car. other than changing jets and checking afr. could i base my nitrous tune off mostly afr?
Old 05-08-2012, 03:55 PM
8 Second Club

I would try to find somebody locally ish that you could throw a few dollars to go to the track with you change your timing as needed...
I would not tune off of AFR only...
yes it has been done...but that doesnt make it right...especially if you only have one wideband doing one side of the headers....
I know a lot people that have destroyed engines because one side looked good on the wideband, and the other side was either really lean or really rich
A lot of people spray a wet kit using the stock fuel rails and the banjo fitting on the rail itself to get to the fuel side...and they have no idea that their system sucks out so much fuel it causes a pressure drop and suddenly you have drivers side Just fine, and passenger side really really lean.....
Old 05-08-2012, 10:27 PM
Teching In

So if you dont pull the fuel off of the rail and dont have a stand alone fuel system for nitrous where do you pull the fuel from?
Old 05-08-2012, 10:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by soundengineer
I would try to find somebody locally ish that you could throw a few dollars to go to the track with you change your timing as needed...
I would not tune off of AFR only...
yes it has been done...but that doesnt make it right...especially if you only have one wideband doing one side of the headers....
I know a lot people that have destroyed engines because one side looked good on the wideband, and the other side was either really lean or really rich
A lot of people spray a wet kit using the stock fuel rails and the banjo fitting on the rail itself to get to the fuel side...and they have no idea that their system sucks out so much fuel it causes a pressure drop and suddenly you have drivers side Just fine, and passenger side really really lean.....

I gotcha. I have my o2 sensor right in the middle of the y pipe where to 2 pipes connect so hopefully that helps.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Ryan
So if you dont pull the fuel off of the rail and dont have a stand alone fuel system for nitrous where do you pull the fuel from?
Injectors provide the fuel enrichment for the nitrous in a dry application.

If your not pulling from the rail, or a stand alone then that's the only other option I am aware of.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:59 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by n2ols1cam
I gotcha. I have my o2 sensor right in the middle of the y pipe where to 2 pipes connect so hopefully that helps.
it can be deceiving and inconsistent in that spot...
one bank is rich, the other is lean, it will seem ok... but its not.

you really need to read the plugs to know what is up..
also, a wideband cant tell you if one hole is hot or cold...which can be a fueling issue, or a spark issue, or airflow and distribution problems, or a plugs issue, or any combo of that stuff...
Old 05-09-2012, 10:30 AM
Launching!

ok. i will read the plugs and hopefully everything will be ok on the amount of timing im on when i go to the track. if not, it looks like im done for the day.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are going to go to a 200 shot you need to be safe and pull a little more timing and put it back as you read the plugs
Old 05-09-2012, 03:10 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by n2ols1cam
I have a ls1 with forged pistons and rods, ms3 cam, 243 heads, and its at 11.1-1 compression. i am looking to spray a 200 shot at it and just wanted to know what you guys were running for timing and what fuel you guys were running. i am currently on 62n 34f with 19 degrees total timing, will i be ok running 93 oct on a 200 shot? thanks for the help guys.
My first nitrous motor was the exact same setup. On difference was that I had a NX direct port. I pulled 10 degrees to start and ended up at 8 degrees total. I ran the NGK 7s (I think BR7E) gapped at 28. This was on 93 octane gas pulled from the fuel rail. I did have a 255lph fuel pump. I must have sprayed the little 346 at least 50 times. Only thing it ever hurt was the tranny and 12 bolt rearend.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:22 AM
10 Second Club

nxz28 what kinda times did you run on ms3 ls1 w/ 200 shot.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about running a small stand alone tank with 110 octane in it, so every time you spray you'll reduced the chance of detonation...I would think a gallon of race gas would last long in a stand alone setup.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:36 AM
Teching In

I'm building a stand alone right now for my g8. I make 426+ rwhp on motor. Ran 11.68 on motor. Ran 10.95 on a 100 shot plate kit. It pulls to much fuel from the rail on tha 150 shot. So I'm adding a 1 gallon safe cell from nx. It has the cell, pump, guage, regulator, and fuel line to run to the nitrous. I'm filling it with c16 in the tank and running a 200 shot. Going to pull 8 degrees to start with br7ef plug gapped at .032. But that's track only. Maybe even a 250 shot if my afr is good. Still stock long block
Old 12-12-2013, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by silverz28camaro
What about running a small stand alone tank with 110 octane in it, so every time you spray you'll reduced the chance of detonation...I would think a gallon of race gas would last long in a stand alone setup.

It is all according to how big of a shot you are spraying, whether a single fogger or direct port kit, and how slow or fast your car is running. Just check it after each pass and make sure to have a gallon or two extra with you for the first outing.

Quick Reply: Total timing for 200 shot?? what fuel?