Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm finally ready to spray my car. Hows this setup?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 07:17 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Letting off in the middle of a wheel stand WILL FOR SURE result in a busted oil pan, headers, steering rack etc.

Do not let off unless it is still in the air 150' plus down track and if you do, you need to act like your stomping a bug on the sidewalk and when you do it shift to second.

Or short shift it first and if that doesn't stop it from rising up more then stomp the pedal.

If you're running a slick like I think you are you don't want it to dead hook ever. If it does your going in a big wheel stand.

Keep some slip in it off the line and allow the tire to turn over physically 2-3 times on the line when you release the trans brake before the car moves. Painting a white swatch on the tire will really help you see this and apply more or less power depending on how much slip you get or don't get.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

150' out is way to late ot lift. catch it early anu more than 1.5' and its a waist any way. also its normally bad to pedal a nitrous car....
Old 08-14-2012, 03:48 PM
FormerVendor

Alright let it go on the bumper then

Don't pedal it or let it wheelie. See if you can ever get it to do that if you can let me know how

*Sarcasm*
Old 08-14-2012, 10:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want it to spin just a tad bit to keep from a monster wheelie. I know i will be in for a ride if it dead hooks. And it will be like that in BG next month.

We are testing again tomorrow. I am running a 62N/55F 24 deg, 110 cam 2 fuel and a br8fs plug.

Does anyone see a problem with this plug or fuel for this size shot?
Old 08-14-2012, 10:58 PM
9 Second Club

nope plug and fuel should be perfectly fine. goodluck
Old 08-15-2012, 08:55 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Alright let it go on the bumper then

Don't pedal it or let it wheelie. See if you can ever get it to do that if you can let me know how

*Sarcasm*

We have not been on the bumper in years and we don't pedel it much. get the supention right and tie the front down. the point is to catch it and lift before it gets to the bumper.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:20 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ShiznityZ28
We have not been on the bumper in years and we don't pedel it much. get the supention right and tie the front down. the point is to catch it and lift before it gets to the bumper.
I was just pointing out(sarcastically) that in a set-up that hasn't been near as ironed out or tweaked or owned for near as long as you guys have had the bird, that it's hard for either of those two things not to happen.

You guys are basically pro's. You can't expect someone like me or JR to be able to go out there and be perfect and nail it on the head and not "do what you're not supposed to do" once in a while.

I also don't think tying the front end down is necessary or needed if you have a properly valved front shock that can control the rate of rise correctly. Tying the front down IMO is a crutch for a shock that isn't doing its job. When you limit the travel of a shock and it tops out at that limited travel you're done transferring weight and if the track isn't on kill or you don't have the power you guys car makes it's most likely not going to work out in your favor. Just my opinion on that matter. I have a set of limiters still sitting in my tool box that I am only going to put on when I have completely exhausted my extension in my front shocks and I'm at the point where the front shock itself isn't able to control the rate of pitch rotation in the front end. Till then use the shock itself is my philosophy.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:33 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
I was just pointing out(sarcastically) that in a set-up that hasn't been near as ironed out or tweaked or owned for near as long as you guys have had the bird, that it's hard for either of those two things not to happen.

You guys are basically pro's. You can't expect someone like me or JR to be able to go out there and be perfect and nail it on the head and not "do what you're not supposed to do" once in a while.

I also don't think tying the front end down is necessary or needed if you have a properly valved front shock that can control the rate of rise correctly. Tying the front down IMO is a crutch for a shock that isn't doing its job. When you limit the travel of a shock and it tops out at that limited travel you're done transferring weight and if the track isn't on kill or you don't have the power you guys car makes it's most likely not going to work out in your favor. Just my opinion on that matter. I have a set of limiters still sitting in my tool box that I am only going to put on when I have completely exhausted my extension in my front shocks and I'm at the point where the front shock itself isn't able to control the rate of pitch rotation in the front end. Till then use the shock itself is my philosophy.
With exp a good driver can catch them before they get to high.
Your not really lifting just coming off the pedal enough to start bringing the front down as soon as it starts down get back on it.
No one knows this right away and likely you will go to the bumper a few times to figure all this out.
I can tell if its going to be a 1' wheelie I can ride out or one that will go to the bumper by how agressive the car is as soon as I let go of the button.

Steve is saying dont try and ride them out unless you want to hit the wall, the other car (someone almost hit me doing it) or flip that bitch like Kevin Neal.... catch it as early as you can and dont try to ride it out. my advice.

As far as limiters .....with radials you need them. the smaller the adjustments you can make with them the better they will work for you.
Only using shocks to keep front down is some **** the slick tire guys might get away with, I dont think you have a shot with a nitrous car worth a ****.
My advice, put them on now.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:27 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks for that advice man.
I was thinking I might be able to catch it before it's to late once I get used to it. You think travel limiters will really help? I see lots of cars using them and lots more not using them. I dunno what to think about that until I need to figure it out.

In the mean time, I went to IRP here in Indy tonight and it was good and bad.
First the bad... I got there and the n2o bottle was empty.. And I didn't bring the other ones....

The good...

It was a pb all around on motor.

So I made 3 na passes and it was a record setting day for me.....

1st pass
nothing special 14 psi in tires, 34 deg of timing, 4K launch. It back fired going into 2nd and spun just a tad bit but I was shocked at the et.

1.35 60', 6.21@109.02, 9.85@134.34.
This is a new pb et by .040. But not the 60'.

2nd pass I thought I was going to be spraying it until I cracked the bottle open and the psi gage did not even move. I knew I was fucked. So I was rattled a little by that and turned the **** off and lined up for a motor pull.
My crew did not know the n20 was off, they were expecting a killer n2o pass. It is jetted up to a 150 shot now.
Instead they got an eye full of wheels up motor pass....

1.30 60', 6.17@109.08 1/8, 9.80@134.38.
This is a new best all the way down the track on motor. 1.30 60' was freakin gettin it. I knew it was on a pass.

3rd pass.
I turned the launch up to 4300 and moved the timing +1 to 35deg.

1.30 60', 6.20@108.59 1/8, 9.84@133.95

I am sure if the spray was on it would of been on the bumper. I know it would have been 1.2x 60'. Not bad for a four year old garage built motor. I'm very pleased with it.

I'm getting the video off the gopro now.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:35 PM
10 Second Club

Tonight the car would of ran in the 9.0's with the other tune up. I bet it would of been a 8.9 something with the jet change.

I hope to get out next week if possible and test the new tune up. My local track is closed for the next month for the US Nationals. Time to let the big boys play.

On the good side of this, if there is no rain after the Nationals when we get back out there it will be record breaking 60' times. The track is killer after the Nationals.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:17 AM
9 Second Club

Put the limiters on.
You can leave them as loose as you want to but when you need them all you will have to do is adjust them.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:25 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks man. I think I'm going to make a set for my car.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:00 PM
10 Second Club

I'm working on a set on limitters right now out of some hardware I got a manards lol. I will post pics of this get up. I think it will work really well to limit the travel of the front end.

I got pics of the cut plugs from the last time I sprayed it. I will get them up shortly.

In the mean time we are set up to spray a 62N/55F. I think this should be dead on 9.0 with decent 60's. With great 60's this might go 8.90's or 80's.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:11 PM
10 Second Club

Here is a 1.30 60' motor pass.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:26 PM
10 Second Club

Old 08-23-2012, 09:29 PM
10 Second Club

A recent engine bay shot. I dig this pic.

Quick Reply: I'm finally ready to spray my car. Hows this setup?