Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

few simple nitrous questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default few simple nitrous questions

so im building an ls1 for a buddys project and he wants a heads/cam ls1. im going to probably just port the stock heads and set it up with nice aftermarket cam, not sure on cam selection yet. he wants a small shot of nitrous, something in the 100 or less range. possibly even a hidden system, he hasnt decided yet. so since ive never messed with the bottle before figured id ask the experts. is there any special pistons i should be looking for? what about fuel system? right now im looking at texas speed for a rotating assembly package, but dont know what pistons to get. my options are

wiseco flat top -3.2cc
wiseco dish -11cc
wiseco dish -25cc
malhe flat-4cc
diamond flat -2cc
diamond dish -3.6

far as rods go should i be looking for H or I beam, and what company is generally preferred?

thanks for any help
Old 07-21-2012, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

100hp of nitrous can be sprayed on a stock honda piston. I would evaluate the goals for the car. If he never really wants to spray more than 100hp ( Which I doubt ) build it like it was NA.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by w3s1c0a5t
100hp of nitrous can be sprayed on a stock honda piston. I would evaluate the goals for the car. If he never really wants to spray more than 100hp ( Which I doubt ) build it like it was NA.
well in the event that he doesnt what pistons would be a good choice for the future if he jets the nozzles for a bigger shot? if not then im assuming the malhe pistons would be fine?
Old 07-21-2012, 06:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by usnfenix
well in the event that he doesnt what pistons would be a good choice for the future if he jets the nozzles for a bigger shot? if not then im assuming the malhe pistons would be fine?
Whats a big shot? 250? 350? 500?

This is a package remember. What CC are the heads? What fuel is the car going to run on? Are you going to run a stand alone fuel system for the nitrous? What cam?

Trust me. Figure out what the goals are for the car and work on getting the entire motor setup to reflect it. Not as simple as just picking the parts one at a time.

If you get the whole car in line with what you want, it will fly.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:12 PM
10 Second Club

If he is going to stay under 800rwhp I'd stick with an H-beam from Callies.

Either the Wiseco flat top or the Diamond flat top would be my choice.

BTW you build a nitrous motor pretty close to how you would build a N/A motor, the only thing that would change would be the cam and dynamic compression and the piston and rod strength and design for the amount of nitrous to be used. Ring gap will obviously change as that is part of the piston package.

Head and intake wise there wouldn't be much if any difference.

You might would end up with different sized valve reliefs for that different cam, but with a car that sees the street more than the track I doubt it.

Last edited by Fbodyjunkie06; 07-21-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Whats a big shot? 250? 350? 500?

This is a package remember. What CC are the heads? What fuel is the car going to run on? Are you going to run a stand alone fuel system for the nitrous? What cam?

Trust me. Figure out what the goals are for the car and work on getting the entire motor setup to reflect it. Not as simple as just picking the parts one at a time.

If you get the whole car in line with what you want, it will fly.
knowing him he wouldnt run higher than a 200 shot max. other things i havent worked out yet are head choice and cam choice. most likely getting it all from texas speed with one of there head and cam packages. fuel is 93 octane would be a pump gas car. far as fuel system i havent worked that out yet. my knowledge of ls motors is all in n/a and FI setups. im new to nitrous
Old 07-21-2012, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by usnfenix
knowing him he wouldnt run higher than a 200 shot max. other things i havent worked out yet are head choice and cam choice. most likely getting it all from texas speed with one of there head and cam packages. fuel is 93 octane would be a pump gas car. far as fuel system i havent worked that out yet. my knowledge of ls motors is all in n/a and FI setups. im new to nitrous
If your doing pretty much all your business with TSP ask them. They have done this before.

Junkie's opinion is pretty inline with what I think as well and what I am fairly sure TSP will tell you. I would go with the wiseco piston that got me to the dynamic compression ration I wanted with the H/C package I had chosen. Let it eat after that.

Another person you may want to ask for some his opinion is the tuner. He may feel a little more confident with one setup over another. He is the guy that has to make it all work right.

P.S. Tell him to put on some big boy pants and put a real jet to it.

Kidding of course.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:49 PM
10 Second Club

If your doing pretty much all your business with TSP ask them. They have done this before.

Junkie's opinion is pretty inline with what I think as well and what I am fairly sure TSP will tell you. I would go with the wiseco piston that got me to the dynamic compression ration I wanted with the H/C package I had chosen. Let it eat after that.

Another person you may want to ask for some his opinion is the tuner. He may feel a little more confident with one setup over another. He is the guy that has to make it all work right.

P.S. Tell him to put on some big boy pants and put a real jet to it.

Kidding of course.
Great minds think alike.