Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid wiring question, just need quick answer

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 10:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Stupid wiring question, just need quick answer

My previous nos mini window switch took a **** on me after spraying the car one time on the dyno. Never even got a full pull as my clutch didn't like it.

Anyways, new clutch, now window switch is gone. Replacing it with a nitrous outlet window switch. I wired the previous switch following the nos diagram which only had one possible output to the relay(noids). Easy. With the wires cut and the bad switch removed I held the 12v power to the line ran to thee relay and armed the system. Click. Noids fire. This tells me that it was a power output to fire the solenoids. So I wired it up as so.

After I soldered the last wire, I armed the switch before heating the heat shrink. Click, and solenoids have power.

Obvious answer is to wire the relay to the ground output from the window switch, but I just want to make sure. Does the ground output provide constant ground but 12v power when the tps and rpm are within range?

A little explanation would be great. I'd rather not have to rewire it again, and this mishap has me doubting my judgement
Old 09-21-2012, 11:04 PM
12 Second Club

Guess I'm not stupid. The switch read 1.1.1 meaning the tps signal was met and rpms were in range.

I disconnected the solenoid to keep from burning it up, and got the window switch into programming mode. It came out of the box set up for a grounded tps sensor (which I had with the car off) and the rpm range started at 0 (clearly met that too). Got it fixed and had the wiring right in the first place but i sure am glad I didn't flip the switch for the first time with the car running -__-

I do however like the switch. Unlike my NOS switch, it shows whether you're at wot, inside rpm range, gear lockout status, and whether the system is firing all on the main screen. The programming is a little trick as the first three steps are all for a progressive unit. Unit is small and easy to locate wherever you'd like, and I'm sure I will like the gear lockout feature since I'm on a street tire
Old 09-23-2012, 02:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can you post some type of diagram of your setup of current wiring.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:13 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 03EBZ06
can you post some type of diagram of your setup of current wiring.
Just for the window switch? Or what? I can post the diagram that came with it; or are you asking for a paint masterpiece
Old 09-23-2012, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by derekbuckner1
Just for the window switch? Or what? I can post the diagram that came with it; or are you asking for a paint masterpiece
maybe just a pic of the window switch and part #. I have a NOS MINI and it triggers low amperage grounds for each stage. So, that goes to PIN85 of nitrous relay.

I want to make sure which Nitrous Outlet sw you have. Are you using the progressive/rpm combo? part#? If just a RPM window, I'm thinking you can use the PINK to PIN85.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:27 PM
12 Second Club

maybe just a pic of the window switch and part #. I have a NOS MINI and it triggers low amperage grounds for each stage. So, that goes to PIN85 of nitrous relay.

I want to make sure which Nitrous Outlet sw you have. Are you using the progressive/rpm combo? part#? If just a RPM window, I'm thinking you can use the PINK to PIN85.
I'm pretty sure I have the pink wire going to pin 85. I know I did use the pink wire as my output wire. I can check this evening. It's the nitrous outlet single stage rpm window switch. Not the progressive.

I'm sure mine is working now and was wired correct the first time, but now you have me slightly confused. If your NOS mini outputs a ground and connected to pin 85, why would I be using the same pin, but a 12v output line?
Old 09-23-2012, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm pretty sure I have the pink wire going to pin 85. I know I did use the pink wire as my output wire. I can check this evening. It's the nitrous outlet single stage rpm window switch. Not the progressive.

I'm sure mine is working now and was wired correct the first time, but now you have me slightly confused. If your NOS mini outputs a ground and connected to pin 85, why would I be using the same pin, but a 12v output line?
My mistake. When I looked at NO's progressive/rpm setup, the PINK=12V and the YELLOW=Ground. I would use the YELLOW to PIN85. I have not seen the wiring diagram of your particular switch, but my guess is you have

BLUE=TPS MICRO SW or TPS RETURN SIG
RED=POWER
BLACK=GROUND
PINK=12v, 1 amp output
YELLOW=GROUND 1amp output.

going to look and see if I can find a diagram of that switch.

Not sure how you wired up the setup. If you used both the YELLOW and PINK wires for the relay, it may not make a diff which PIN85 or 86 they are connected to.

In my case, I always use the arming power for the P86 of relay, using ground trigger from window switch to activate. Probably doesn't matter.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:03 PM
12 Second Club

My mistake. When I looked at NO's progressive/rpm setup, the PINK=12V and the YELLOW=Ground. I would use the YELLOW to PIN85. I have not seen the wiring diagram of your particular switch, but my guess is you have

BLUE=TPS MICRO SW or TPS RETURN SIG
RED=POWER
BLACK=GROUND
PINK=12v, 1 amp output
YELLOW=GROUND 1amp output.

going to look and see if I can find a diagram of that switch.

Not sure how you wired up the setup. If you used both the YELLOW and PINK wires for the relay, it may not make a diff which PIN85 or 86 they are connected to.

In my case, I always use the arming power for the P86 of relay, using ground trigger from window switch to activate. Probably doesn't matter.
Your wires are correct. I didn't use the yellow ground wire, just the pink 12v output. Ill have to take a loot at the relay to see what pins they are connected to. Thanks for the help getting any wiring issues ironed out before I head back to the dyno.

So I have the power output to the same pin that my nos mini was connected to. I didn't mess with the relay at all. And that is wrong?
Old 09-23-2012, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

So I have the power output to the same pin that my nos mini was connected to. I didn't mess with the relay at all. And that is wrong?
The NOS MINI outputs a GROUND. The Nitrous Outlet PINK outputs 12V. The YELLOW wire would be the one to use since it outputs ground.

In theory, the way its wired now, nothing should happen since both poles of the relay (85 and 86) are positive.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:29 PM
12 Second Club

The NOS MINI outputs a GROUND. The Nitrous Outlet PINK outputs 12V. The YELLOW wire would be the one to use since it outputs ground.

In theory, the way its wired now, nothing should happen since both poles of the relay (85 and 86) are positive.
I think the only reason I'm so confused right now is because I know my nos mini was wired correctly and worked fine. When I disconnected the wires, I touched a 12v power lead to the wire going to the relay and it clicked, telling me I needed a power output. To me, that makes sense... And the fact that the relay was powered when the window switch powered the relay when it was configured wrong.

I'm not saying I'm right by any means, it just seemed the the little test showed I need power and want to make sure it's wrong before I mess with it.

You're 100% sure the nos mini is a ground output?
Old 09-23-2012, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here is a copy of the NOS MINI(15974) instructs:

Old 09-23-2012, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think the only reason I'm so confused right now is because I know my nos mini was wired correctly and worked fine. When I disconnected the wires, I touched a 12v power lead to the wire going to the relay and it clicked, telling me I needed a power output. To me, that makes sense... And the fact that the relay was powered when the window switch powered the relay when it was configured wrong.

I'm not saying I'm right by any means, it just seemed the the little test showed I need power and want to make sure it's wrong before I mess with it.

You're 100% sure the nos mini is a ground output?
I see what your saying, but I can't explain that one! If PIN85=Positive input required, what is the PIN86 connect to?
Old 09-23-2012, 02:45 PM
12 Second Club

I see what your saying, but I can't explain that one! If PIN85=Positive input required, what is the PIN86 connect to?
I will check the relay this evening. I just set t window switch to activate at 0 rpms, put my foot to the floor with car on but not running and got a click. So it's working but I'm definitely going to figure out the relay situation.

Also, my wiring diagram in the instructions looks much different than yours. I couldn't find in my directions whether it was 12v or ground out (didn't make sense) but ill look again. I'll try and post up my NO diagram and NOS diagram tonight as well. I'm still confused
Old 09-23-2012, 04:35 PM
12 Second Club

Looks to me like my nos switch was a 12v 1a max output. As is the nitrous outlet one. The only diagram showin PIN numbers is the one fr the NO window switch. Looks like I have it all right, and its working. Maybe you have a different NOS switch. If I'm reading something wrong, please just let me know.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks to me like my nos switch was a 12v 1a max output. As is the nitrous outlet one. The only diagram showin PIN numbers is the one fr the NO window switch. Looks like I have it all right, and its working. Maybe you have a different NOS switch. If I'm reading something wrong, please just let me know.
I see the problem. We have different controllers. I have the NOS MINI (15974) and you have NOS WOT/RPM (15982).

The way you have it wired looks correct to me and after looking at the online instructs for the 15982 controller, confirms it also.

NOS MINI:
http://www.holley.com/15974NOS.asp

2STAGE WOT/RPM:
http://www.holley.com/15982NOS.asp
Old 09-23-2012, 09:31 PM
12 Second Club

I see the problem. We have different controllers. I have the NOS MINI (15974) and you have NOS WOT/RPM (15982).

The way you have it wired looks correct to me and after looking at the online instructs for the 15982 controller, confirms it also.

NOS MINI:
http://www.holley.com/15974NOS.asp

2STAGE WOT/RPM:
http://www.holley.com/15982NOS.asp
no worries. it explains why i was confusing myself so much. thanks for the input

Quick Reply: Stupid wiring question, just need quick answer