Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tr6 ngk nitrous gap size for plugs

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 08:47 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lsxTAlemy
ANYONE have the BR6EFS pn or ngk num? there people here running tr6 all the way up to 200 shot !!!!
I stuck my finger in a light socket once, didn't mean it was a good idea though.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ANYONE have the BR6EFS pn or ngk num? there people here running tr6 all the way up to 200 shot !!!!

3177. As for the tr6 200 shot thing. All I can say is they are lucky
Old 12-17-2012, 09:41 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 60 Likes on 36 Posts

there people here running tr6 all the way up to 200 shot !!!!
I have never been thrown through the windshield of a car, but I still wear my seatbelt..............
Old 12-17-2012, 09:54 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool thanks! Much appreciated.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
I stuck my finger in a light socket once, didn't mean it was a good idea though.
im not trying to go against anyone. im just saying whats been done in my area. uv helped me out a ton on here and i take what u guys say and do it. personally dont like how the br7 drive around town but i still ride with them.

about the finger in the socket some people might just like that shock.

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
3177. As for the tr6 200 shot thing. All I can say is they are lucky
thanks man

Originally Posted by speedtigger
I have never been thrown through the windshield of a car, but I still wear my seatbelt..............
i understand, but if they tell u ur gonna be completely safe and u see lets say 30 people walk away with good results. why not !
Old 12-17-2012, 12:38 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im not trying to go against anyone. im just saying whats been done in my area. uv helped me out a ton on here and i take what u guys say and do it. personally dont like how the br7 drive around town but i still ride with them.
Its not the plugs its your tune that is the problem.

Have your tuner add some timing at idle and down low in the table to keep the plug clean and you will never have a problem.

Same with fuel, lean and clean.

Our car idles and drives fine with #11 plugs and C23 in it.
Give it what it needs.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:45 PM
Old School Heavy

You could try Br6 plugs but, on a 150 shot I think they will show too much heat.

i understand, but if they tell u ur gonna be completely safe and u see lets say 30 people walk away with good results. why not !
This is the thing. For your x amount of people who got away with it, how many sad stories are there? You can't look at one without the other. The three versions of the sad stories are:
  • "Where is my electrode? Do you think my motor will be okay?"
  • "Look at this plug, where did the porcelain go? I think my motor is blown!"
  • "I had detonation on nitrous. Damn, I should have never run nitrous!"
These are probably thread titles on here somewhere with the above names. LOL

Then in that thread you hear things like: What do you mean Tr6s are bad? That is what **** ran in his car. I don't know what my fuel pressure is. I don't know what my timing is. Then you hear: Read plugs? How do you read a plug? Etc. etc.

But hey. Each of us has our own way of doing things. Some people like me try to be as cautious as possible (because I have broken lots of **** in the past) and others take chances. You may do it and get away with it no problem. But I would hate it if you paid the price when you could have avoided it.

Since I have been running nitrous on this motor, I have pulled plugs after every first pass after a change. I read the plugs and compared them to all credible data on line. I know how clean the mixture is and where my timing mark is. I know how to spot signs of detonation or a green light for a little more timing. I say knowing is better than not knowing.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:01 PM
FormerVendor

You could try Br6 plugs but, on a 150 shot I think they will show too much heat.

This is the thing. For your x amount of people who got away with it, how many sad stories are there? You can't look at one without the other. The three versions of the sad stories are:
  • "Where is my electrode? Do you think my motor will be okay?"
  • "Look at this plug, where did the porcelain go? I think my motor is blown!"
  • "I had detonation on nitrous. Damn, I should have never run nitrous!"
These are probably thread titles on here somewhere with the above names. LOL

Then in that thread you hear things like: What do you mean Tr6s are bad? That is what **** ran in his car. I don't know what my fuel pressure is. I don't know what my timing is. Then you hear: Read plugs? How do you read a plug? Etc. etc.

But hey. Each of us has our own way of doing things. Some people like me try to be as cautious as possible (because I have broken lots of **** in the past) and others take chances. You may do it and get away with it no problem. But I would hate it if you paid the price when you could have avoided it.

Since I have been running nitrous on this motor, I have pulled plugs after every first pass after a change. I read the plugs and compared them to all credible data on line. I know how clean the mixture is and where my timing mark is. I know how to spot signs of detonation or a green light for a little more timing. I say knowing is better than not knowing.
GREAT post Tigger!
Old 12-17-2012, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I never said they were better I said I t been done and by multiple people do it and get away with it I'm super careful with my car I have to much time and dedication to it to just blow it up I filled what I read on here there are obviously people running disgustingly hard on here
Old 12-18-2012, 07:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I never said they were better I said I t been done and by multiple people do it and get away with it I'm super careful with my car I have to much time and dedication to it to just blow it up I filled what I read on here there are obviously people running disgustingly hard on here
Key phrase in your post is "get away with it". That is exactly what they are doing "getting away with it". There are alot of people that do not get away with it. Melt the strap, break off the porcelain, and who knows what else is what happens to the people you don't read about who burnt their **** up on TR6 plugs

You say you are super careful with your car, if so, just use the plug we tell you because we want you to be safe too.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
Key phrase in your post is "get away with it". That is exactly what they are doing "getting away with it". There are alot of people that do not get away with it. Melt the strap, break off the porcelain, and who knows what else is what happens to the people you don't read about who burnt their **** up on TR6 plugs

You say you are super careful with your car, if so, just use the plug we tell you because we want you to be safe too.
i doo. i ran 7 with 100 to 150 and now going to rum an 8 or 9 for the 200 hit .
Old 12-18-2012, 04:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I run TR6 since 4 years on a 150shot, dyno tuned, LS1 timing tuner..no problem so far. But TR6 does not last long in my case; under 5000 miles and they run like crap. I'll try BR7 next summer..

I use 2-3 bottlers/year and never had any problem with a TR6 gone bad or blowing up. Just saying.. I'm not a nitrous pro, thats for sure. I want to go up to a 175 next year.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:10 PM
FormerVendor

i doo. i ran 7 with 100 to 150 and now going to rum an 8 or 9 for the 200 hit .
You really don't need a 9 or even an 8 for a 200 hit unless you're running 11.5:1 compression or higher(or thereabouts). If you're going to drive it to the track and back doing it with a BR7 would be easier for you and the way the car drives.

That said I drove my -8's on the street and after leaning it out to 14.3-14.8 at idle and giving it 16-22 degrees at idle it would take a while for them to foul.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:15 PM
Old School Heavy

You really don't need a 9 or even an 8 for a 200 hit unless you're running 11.5:1 compression or higher(or thereabouts). If you're going to drive it to the track and back doing it with a BR7 would be easier for you and the way the car drives.

That said I drove my -8's on the street and after leaning it out to 14.3-14.8 at idle and giving it 16-22 degrees at idle it would take a while for them to foul.
I have wondered if I might go to a #8 plug for a 200 shot. When do most guys step up to an 8?
Old 12-18-2012, 09:15 PM
FormerVendor

I have wondered if I might go to a #8 plug for a 200 shot. When do most on guys step up to an 8?
How high is your compression?

I should also add to my last post...i really don't think everyone should run out and spray 200 hits on br7s and say it's OK because I told you so. If it was my car, I would do it like I did 8-9/10 out of the time when I'd drive my car to the track and spray it and that's run tr55s on the street( stock compression) and 8s on a 200 shot then change back to your tr55 to then drive home. That is what I'd recommend but some people don't want to hassle with it and don't care so run the br7 , but only up to a 200 shot.

Last edited by Sales@Tick; 12-18-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:26 PM
Old School Heavy

How high is your compression?
10.9:1. It is an LQ9 with 243s. So basically and iron LS2.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:45 AM
FormerVendor

10.9:1. It is an LQ9 with 243s. So basically and iron LS2.
What kind of fuel do you run at the track or would you run with the 200 shot?
Old 12-20-2012, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks ill go by that. i don't mind changing plugs that's the main reason i took off my AC system. so much easier to mess around with the plugs. im running the tr5 now and ill run the 7 when at the track up to 200 hit im looking for 250 end result. i should be at stock compression i have ported polished resurfaced 241s and the ms3 cam... 5000 converter only going 150 on the 5000
Old 12-20-2012, 05:57 PM
Old School Heavy

What kind of fuel do you run at the track or would you run with the 200 shot?
I have been running mostly GT260 (100 octane) or VP100 mixed with whatever pump 93 is left in the tank when I drive to the track. If I do decide to shoot for the 9s and throw in the 80n jet tune, I will probably put 110 in for safety. Depends on how the plugs look if I step up to the low 70s jetting. The plugs look really good now with the 63n/53f tune and 21 degrees. The timing mark is just a little wider than the anode and not quite to the bend in the electrode. What do you think?
Old 12-21-2012, 07:23 AM
FormerVendor

I have been running mostly GT260 (100 octane) or VP100 mixed with whatever pump 93 is left in the tank when I drive to the track. If I do decide to shoot for the 9s and throw in the 80n jet tune, I will probably put 110 in for safety. Depends on how the plugs look if I step up to the low 70s jetting. The plugs look really good now with the 63n/53f tune and 21 degrees. The timing mark is just a little wider than the anode and not quite to the bend in the electrode. What do you think?
The way you describe the look of the plugs sounds like it's where it should be currently. I don't really go by "the timing mark needs to be in the bend or before it theory". If the car is running great where it is right now with it before the bend, and it's going the MPH you want it to, and it's got the E.T. you want it to, there is no reason to add anything to it. It's always better to run it with lower timing, and a leaner air/fuel mixture than to run it rich with more timing in it.

If the car runs good with the plugs looking the way they do, then I would continue to shoot for that plug reading no matter the tune-up.

With what you're currently doing the BR7 is fine, when you decide to go to that 80n jet tune-up though, take some 1049's with you and swap them in before you make a pass with the 80n jet. Again if the person is willing to swap out the plugs at the track before and after, then do it right.

That said there will be guys that just DO NOT want to change their plugs and throw a fit at the thought of it because of the way the car drives after the plugs load up making it run like it shouldn't. For those guys that are like that and feel that way, they could run a BR7 up to a 200 shot. I would not run any jet larger than that on a BR7 in an LS engine.

Quick Reply: tr6 ngk nitrous gap size for plugs