Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are my options for running a tad lean with a Halo bar dry shot

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 02:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are my options for running a tad lean with a Halo bar dry shot

I had my tuner log some passes while spraying a 100 shot through the halo bar and he said the afr was too lean at 13.5 afr.

Na it's tuned for 12.8-12.9 at 26 degrees.

I use a timing tuner to pull 4 degrees when I spray and it was pulling 2.5-3.00 degrees due to knock.

What are my options at this point? An hsw interface?
Old 03-12-2013, 02:51 PM
Staging Lane

Stand alone fuel cell with some c16 call it a day!
Old 03-12-2013, 03:23 PM
11 Second Club

Would running race gas let me get away with that lean of a mixture?
Old 03-12-2013, 03:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What timing tuner do you currently have?

How do you like the Halo/dry setup?
Old 03-12-2013, 03:41 PM
11 Second Club

What I use is called the "timing tuner with n20 controls" it works great for timing and window switch.

A lot of people don't like/understand dry shots and but some people do. I think they're not bad for small hits.

The halo is allegedly nice cuz it is supposed to give you perfect afr. But since it's not in my case I'm a little disappointed. I'd rather not ruin my na tune so I can spray
Old 03-12-2013, 03:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by its turbo time
What I use is called the "timing tuner with n20 controls" it works great for timing and window switch.

A lot of people don't like/understand dry shots and but some people do. I think they're not bad for small hits.

The halo is allegedly nice cuz it is supposed to give you perfect afr. But since it's not in my case I'm a little disappointed. I'd rather not ruin my na tune so I can spray
I'm new to nitrous, so I hope you don't mind if I pick your brain. My car is a bolt-on/cam car. I have Accel 44lb/hr high independence injectors (not on the car) at home, so if I went with the Halo/dry kit, would those injectors be enough ? There would be no need to get a new fuel pump/hard wire kit since the dry kit doesn't spray fuel with it, right? I'm just trying to see which way is going to be the most economical for me. I just figured since I already have the bigger injectors, maybe the Halo kit is what I need. 150 shot will be the max I'd spray.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:50 PM
11 Second Club

You have enough injector with the 44 lbers, but you will need more fuel pump as the dry shot still uses more fuel. It just goes through the injectors instead of separately.

What spark plugs?

Last edited by its turbo time; 03-12-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

You have enough injector with the 44 lbers, but you will need more fuel pump as the dry shot still uses more fuel. It just goes through the injectors instead of separately.

What spark plugs?
Ok, that makes sense. I wasn't sure if an upgraded fuel pump was needed with a dry kit or not. Right now, just running NGKTR5 plugs, but will run the BF7 plugs when I add nitrous.

Either way, the Timing Tuner Device you have looks like it's a really nice setup. It will pull timing and act as a window switch and also does some other things. How would you rate it? Wouldn't the Harris Speed Works Interface do the same thing?
Old 03-12-2013, 04:12 PM
11 Second Club

The interface does all that and allows you to fine tune your afr. In my opinion it's a superior product.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

The interface does all that and allows you to fine tune your afr. In my opinion it's a superior product.
Thank you. I'm glad I ran onto this thread. This sounds like what I need to safely run nitrous on my setup. Plus, this device kills two birds with one stone and allows me to optimize my tune N/A and on spray.

I see you're from around the St. Louis area; ever make it down to Gateway?
Old 03-12-2013, 06:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Thank you. I'm glad I ran onto this thread. This sounds like what I need to safely run nitrous on my setup. Plus, this device kills two birds with one stone and allows me to optimize my tune N/A and on spray.

I see you're from around the St. Louis area; ever make it down to Gateway?
Ill be at gateway this friday actually. You?

The only problem with the interface is that hsw went out of business so theyre no longer being made.

I just ordered one of the last three that scoggin dickey had. If you want one too id order soon, if not now lol.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ill be at gateway this friday actually. You?

The only problem with the interface is that hsw went out of business so theyre no longer being made.

I just ordered one of the last three that scoggin dickey had. If you want one too id order soon, if not now lol.

I will be heading down there some this spring and summer. I'm about an hour and a half from St. Louis.

The HSW Interface isn't made anymore, but the other one that you have is still being made, right? I will be getting one of them once I get all my nitrous parts bought. If you decide you don't want yours anymore, shoot me a PM and I'll buy it off you.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:41 AM
11 Second Club

They do still make the timing tuner as far as I know. I'll let you know if I decide to sell mine.

I'm not sure exactly how the interface will work for me, but I might keep both systems for the time being.

Shoot me a pm when you make it up to gateway either way tho.

Are you in the Facebook car group MO Horsepower?
Old 03-13-2013, 09:00 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I responded to your pm with some questions.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

They do still make the timing tuner as far as I know. I'll let you know if I decide to sell mine.

I'm not sure exactly how the interface will work for me, but I might keep both systems for the time being.

Shoot me a pm when you make it up to gateway either way tho.

Are you in the Facebook car group MO Horsepower?
I will PM you when I make it up to Gateway. Hopefully by then, I've got a good nitrous setup to run.

I'm not in the Facebook car group, but the next time I get on there, I'll look for it.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you could put an adjustable fp regulator on and bump the fp by ~8% on nitrous and dial it in that way. it would be a little rich at idle and burnout but you could dial it back to drive around... easy way to get around retuning your self on and off spray. or have someone fix the issue in the tune...
Old 03-14-2013, 04:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Someone mentioned something about getting a second IAT sensor and use a dedicated IAT sensor, which will pull timing if you trick it into thinking the ambient temps are high? Does this make sense and has anyone done this?

Quick Reply: What are my options for running a tad lean with a Halo bar dry shot