Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Price difference.....Direct Port vs Wet Kit.......

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 07:10 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Price difference.....Direct Port vs Wet Kit.......

First, my fully forged iron 390ci is the engine......

It's at 10.8:1 compression, other than that everything else is in my sig. And yes....lol....I still have cheesy LS1 heads and stock TB. I could upgrade the heads to ported L92's and L76 intake if you think it'll make a worth while difference.

Anyway........

How big of a shot should I go and still not be close to pushing the limits, I want a lot of wiggle room. Is 200 no problem at all with my engine....?

Also, I'd go Direct Port if the cost isn't WAY WAY more than a wet kit.......

OR......will a wet kit do me totally fine...and there's absolutely no reason to waste the time and money on a DP set up.

Thanks for any input.......

Old 07-23-2013, 08:42 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was your engine built for nitrous, what ring gaps? With good tuning and proper fueling I'm sure you can run 200 but don't just start there. If you plan to run 200 or less a single nozzle is fine. I would run a mild shot until you get some good heads. What is your fuel system right now? Do you plan to pull it from the rail? Hopefully your 4l60 is built well.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a direct port refers to how the nitrous is put into the engine.

wet kit refers to using a fuel solenoid to add fuel for nitrous and not using the cars computer to add the fuel.

As far as how much nitrous you can use on your engine, it is going to depend on how your engine was spec'd and assembled. The ring gap being one of the biggest factors.

Once you figure out how your engine is setup you can decide on what type of kit you want. Anything thing 200 and down is fine with a plate kit. Much over 200 I personally would go with a direct port kit. Direct ports run about $1000 more than a plate kit.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:28 PM
Banned

Well, the engine was bult for boost. 20psi was the plan.....and still is. I'm just not able to get the Modular Turbo TT kit right now, maybe early next year.

So if the rings were set up for boost, is that the same as for nitrous.....?

AES is sending me my build sheet tomorrow so I will know the ring types and gaps.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dynospeed
Was your engine built for nitrous, what ring gaps? With good tuning and proper fueling I'm sure you can run 200 but don't just start there. If you plan to run 200 or less a single nozzle is fine. I would run a mild shot until you get some good heads. What is your fuel system right now? Do you plan to pull it from the rail? Hopefully your 4l60 is built well.

Big bad 4L80E going in......

Old 07-24-2013, 11:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS6427
Well, the engine was bult for boost. 20psi was the plan.....and still is. I'm just not able to get the Modular Turbo TT kit right now, maybe early next year.

So if the rings were set up for boost, is that the same as for nitrous.....?

AES is sending me my build sheet tomorrow so I will know the ring types and gaps.

I would think so since they gapped the rings for a power adder. The best thing to do is to ask the engine builder, you have and are in contact with them already.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Silver408z
I would think so since they gapped the rings for a power adder. The best thing to do is to ask the engine builder, you have and are in contact with them already.

Oh, I know how the DP works.....tapping the jets into the intake. I'm just wondering if for just a 200 shot, if I should just use a wet shot. But if a DP port set up will make it safer, more equal distribution to each of the 8 cylinders, etc........I'll go for it.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:31 AM
11 Second Club

Direct port is safer for the engine at higher H.P. levels.. Lower H.P. Shot is best with a N20 Nozzle. You will need at least a Racetronix 255 Walbro intank Fuel pumo with the Heavy duty Hotwire Fuel pump Harness upgrade kit. That should be good for 600 total RWHP
Old 07-27-2013, 01:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by NOS LS1
Direct port is safer for the engine at higher H.P. levels.. Lower H.P. Shot is best with a N20 Nozzle. You will need at least a Racetronix 255 Walbro intank Fuel pumo with the Heavy duty Hotwire Fuel pump Harness upgrade kit. That should be good for 600 total RWHP
I already have the Racetronix fuel system, but it was their system from back in 2002. I'll upgrade if needed.

So you're saying don't go with a DP set up for just a 200 shot.....?

Quick Reply: Price difference.....Direct Port vs Wet Kit.......