Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 trans am with nitrous ( recomendations please)

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014 | 11:34 AM
TECH Veteran

He could probably lean his out more and go faster plus its safer for him. If his fuel solenoid got stuck or just didn't come on his motor will probably live. Yours on the other hand with using the timing to make power, you will hurt a piston if the fuel solenoid fails.

I have ran 9 degrees pulled on a 150 shot. Does that sound crazy to you? Guess what though, I was going just as fast as the guys with 6 or 5 degrees pulled on the same shot so where is the harm in that plus I'm still on the safer side?

I say run the LNC timing box.
Old 01-06-2014 | 11:47 AM
10 Second Club
10 Year Member20 Year Member

For all saying wet is safer cause what if a fuel injector sticks and cause you like to know how much fuel is being added, what happens if the fuel noid fails? If a dry kit is tuned with a MAF, then when you turn the kit on and read a higher airflow, it'll add the fuel just like it would NA. I trust fuel injectors over a solenoid.
Old 01-06-2014 | 12:07 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
He could probably lean his out more and go faster plus its safer for him. If his fuel solenoid got stuck or just didn't come on his motor will probably live. Yours on the other hand with using the timing to make power, you will hurt a piston if the fuel solenoid fails.

I have ran 9 degrees pulled on a 150 shot. Does that sound crazy to you? Guess what though, I was going just as fast as the guys with 6 or 5 degrees pulled on the same shot so where is the harm in that plus I'm still on the safer side?

Agreed. You're taking heat out of the motor. Its a no brainer.
Old 01-06-2014 | 12:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ddnspider
For all saying wet is safer cause what if a fuel injector sticks and cause you like to know how much fuel is being added, what happens if the fuel noid fails? If a dry kit is tuned with a MAF, then when you turn the kit on and read a higher airflow, it'll add the fuel just like it would NA. I trust fuel injectors over a solenoid.
They both have their pros and cons. I prefer wet kits but that is me.
Old 01-06-2014 | 12:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've ran both wet and dry, and never had any issues with either. If they are both set up right, proper safety accessories, proper tune, etc...they both are equally safe IMO
Old 01-06-2014 | 01:03 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet

I am not trying to be a smart-aleck...I share knowledge when I know and learn when I don't. Trying to get educated here.

Pulling 9 degrees while on a 150 hit doesn't sound crazy if you are using a controller. What other advantages are there for running the controller? Are there any?

Help me understand where pulling the timing out through HP Tuners is unsafe. Is the only added benefit a second layer of protection for the rare case of a fuel solenoid failure? That's awful expensive safety insurance if that's the only benefit.
Old 01-06-2014 | 01:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by high impact
I am not trying to be a smart-aleck...I share knowledge when I know and learn when I don't. Trying to get educated here.

Pulling 9 degrees while on a 150 hit doesn't sound crazy if you are using a controller. What other advantages are there for running the controller? Are there any?

Help me understand where pulling the timing out through HP Tuners is unsafe. Is the only added benefit a second layer of protection for the rare case of a fuel solenoid failure? That's awful expensive safety insurance if that's the only benefit.
When you are being safe in pulling 9 degrees, your motor will be a dog if you didn't have the LNC box only pulling timing when you spray. So, now imagine pulling 9 degrees with HP tuners and trying to do a burnout, see where I'm going?

I never said pulling timing thru HPT would be unsafe.

If you want to throw cost in there, what about the guy who has neither the LNC or HP tuners? Which is cheaper now?
Old 01-06-2014 | 02:10 PM
10 Second Club

I completely understand 9 degrees is an insane amount of timing to pull when n/a - I'd never pull that much in an n/a tune. Our cars aren't doggy at all the way my son and I are doing it and we learned this from Ed Hutchings. I'd like to see a reputable tuner log proven dyno results of the amount of HP drop n/a vs nitrous tuning this way. I predict not more than 5 hp loss. A guy without HP Tuners can have a tuner on a dyno do this for him. Imo a modified nitrous car needs a custom tune regardless. Although earlier in the thread Brandon from n2o mentioned reloading the stock tune for only 100 shot but I wouldn't want to do that with the op's mods list and wouldn't feel safe doing that with a cam.

It seems the consensus could be either way is fine as long as the tune is either spot on or on the safe side. another variable to consider is what is that 5 hp loss worth to someone? It may very well be worth the cost of a controller to regain the little hp loss and additional safety margin if one is looking for max effort.
Old 01-06-2014 | 02:23 PM
TECH Veteran

I completely understand 9 degrees is an insane amount of timing to pull when n/a - I'd never pull that much in an n/a tune. Our cars aren't doggy at all the way my son and I are doing it and we learned this from Ed Hutchings. I'd like to see a reputable tuner log proven dyno results of the amount of HP drop n/a vs nitrous tuning this way. I predict not more than 5 hp loss. A guy without HP Tuners can have a tuner on a dyno do this for him. Imo a modified nitrous car needs a custom tune regardless. Although earlier in the thread Brandon from n2o mentioned reloading the stock tune for only 100 shot but I wouldn't want to do that with the op's mods list and wouldn't feel safe doing that with a cam.

It seems the consensus could be either way is fine as long as the tune is either spot on or on the safe side. another variable to consider is what is that 5 hp loss worth to someone? It may very well be worth the cost of a controller to regain the little hp loss and additional safety margin if one is looking for max effort.
Its not 5 hp. Been there done that. 28 rwhp loss on the dyno with the colder plugs and 6 degrees pulled.
Old 01-06-2014 | 02:57 PM
FormerVendor

I believe you've got me confused with someone else.
Old 01-06-2014 | 03:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Back when I tried a n/a run on nitrous tune in my Mustang ( I had 4 degrees pulled on a 100 shot) I could feel a noticeable difference. I have to agree it's much greater than a 5 hp loss. I mean you can't actually notice a 5 hp loss lol
Old 01-06-2014 | 06:53 PM
12 Second Club

kinda do agree with a solenoid failing over a injector.. what other safetys can I have with a dry ?

I know wet u can have fpss

I got a tuner for the tunning
Old 01-07-2014 | 02:01 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by brandon@nitrousoutlet
I believe you've got me confused with someone else.
My sincerest apologies - i did have you mistaken for someone else. You are my "go to guy" and will be ordering more parts from you by the end of winter. Once again I apologize.
Old 01-07-2014 | 02:21 PM
FormerVendor

My sincerest apologies - i did have you mistaken for someone else. You are my "go to guy" and will be ordering more parts from you by the end of winter. Once again I apologize.
No sweat bro!

Quick Reply: 98 trans am with nitrous ( recomendations please)