Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long can you spray nitrous......roll race....?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 04:01 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default How long can you spray nitrous......roll race....?

I'm curious....if I built a fully forged iron block LQ9 like my LQ9 390ci, but 11.5:1 compression and sprayed a dual stage 400 shot....

Can it be sprayed long enough to complete a 50mph-180mph roll race...?

Or is that too long to spray.....? How can you cool a shot like the boost guys do with meth or water?

Is there a head lifting problem with 4-bolt heads with a 400 shot?

We have the block, we are planning on building a max effort N/A engine as many cubic inches as we can go as to not make any weak points.

Or, should we get an aluminum block and resleeve it and build a 434ci....then spray that with the dual stage 400 shot?

We want a roll race beast.

Old 12-13-2015, 04:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I can't speak for a 400 shot, but at a 100 shot I sprayed all through 5th gear on my Mustang. That was like 60 to 160. No issues when I did that but I only did it the one time
Old 12-13-2015, 04:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
I can't speak for a 400 shot, but at a 100 shot I sprayed all through 5th gear on my Mustang. That was like 60 to 160. No issues when I did that but I only did it the one time
How many seconds do you think you sprayed...?

Old 12-13-2015, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tuneup better be spot on and realistically you aren't going to be on the full 400 the entire hit so I would think it would be fine
Old 12-13-2015, 05:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
How many seconds do you think you sprayed...?

Hard to say but I'd say a good 20-25 seconds maybe. 5th gear was pretty long
Old 12-13-2015, 05:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

I always assumed every nitrous car sprayed the entire run. What am I missing?
Old 12-13-2015, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want to spray nitrous without any issues

1- As your nitrous psi not below 900PSI you're fine .
2- people says 10-20seconds that's wrong
3-When you spray the fuel PSI will be the same . The Nitrous PSI will drops each second .
4- there's cars can spray on 5 gears and cars backfire depends on the nitrous PSI
Old 12-13-2015, 07:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by PONTIAC SLP

3-When you spray the fuel PSI will be the same . The Nitrous PSI will drops each second .
4- there's cars can spray on 5 gears and cars backfire depends on the nitrous PSI
So basically just make sure you have enough nitrous to maintain pressure through the run and it's safe for long pulls? For example on the OP's big nitrous shot he'd need like 2 15lb bottles run together?
Old 12-13-2015, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i foulded out plugs everytime i sprayed in 5th and that was a 100 shot
Old 12-14-2015, 04:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PONTIAC SLP

So during a sprayed run, if the psi starts to drop off......what happens that can cause a problem or cause engine damage?

I would think you would just start to lose power gradually as psi dropped..........NO...?

Im asking the question of "how long" can I spray because I'm wondering if damage can occur from spraying too long. Like heat build-up, etc.....

And if heat is the issue, is there a way to cool the air/nitrous charge like the boost guys do with meth and water......?

Also....is a nitrogen push system worth the extra expense?

Old 12-14-2015, 05:34 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS6427
So during a sprayed run, if the psi starts to drop off......what happens that can cause a problem or cause engine damage?

I would think you would just start to lose power gradually as psi dropped..........NO...?

Im asking the question of "how long" can I spray because I'm wondering if damage can occur from spraying too long. Like heat build-up, etc.....

And if heat is the issue, is there a way to cool the air/nitrous charge like the boost guys do with meth and water......?

Also....is a nitrogen push system worth the extra expense?

I think you would end up running more and more rich as the nitrous psi drops. The same amount of fuel is gona go through the fuel jet no matter what but as the bottle runs out you get less and less nitrous with the same amount of fuel.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have sprayed my stock bottom end on a 150 through 5th many times with zero issues.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by badformulaLS1
I think you would end up running more and more rich as the nitrous psi drops. The same amount of fuel is gona go through the fuel jet no matter what but as the bottle runs out you get less and less nitrous with the same amount of fuel.
Ok, but this is a safe situation. Rich is better than lean.

So now....whats the max amount of seconds can a shot be sprayed.....without causing any damage....?

Old 12-14-2015, 01:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no rich is not a safe situation
Old 12-14-2015, 01:42 PM
Staging Lane

pressure drop is the enemy. the more volume you have the less pressure drop you'll see. so running larger/multiple bottles will really help avoid that. also a progressive controller will help
in my mustang i used a 20 lbs bottle and a jacobs mastermind. made a pretty consistent and reliable setup.

Last edited by Tanus; 12-14-2015 at 01:48 PM.
Old 12-14-2015, 01:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jblankenship
no rich is not a safe situation
But lean means meltdown of the internals....pistons melt....right?

What bad thing can happen if you slowly start to run rich....? Won't you notice the power loss and just lift your foot off the pedal...?

Old 12-14-2015, 02:28 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Spraying long distances introduces the extra challenge of keeping the combustion chamber cool. As vehicle speeds increase, loads increase as does residual heat buildup. If you cannot keep the combustion chamber cool, the head will begin to melt near the spark plug area.

As for the argument of which is safer, rich or lean, they both can get you into trouble.

Here is one of the most experienced and knowledgeable people in the world on the subject on nitrous a/f mixtures:

Originally Posted by Monte Smith
I personally, have NEVER burned up anything by being too lean.

You know, we talk about this all the time and make comparisons, but it is pretty much accepted, that a nitrous engine, is still a N/A engine and you tune it as such. So if you were running down the track on motor and your fuel pump quits, you have just run that engine as lean as lean can be. Did you hurt it..........highly unlikely. No fuel, nothing to burn, no heat. A nitrous motor is the same way.......too little fuel, it has nothing to burn, so it just makes no power, it does not eat parts.

I am sure, make that, I KNOW, that others will not agree and we hear stories of "I had a clogged fuel jet, burned my motor up", etc, etc, etc. All I can say, is that I have been using nitrous, for more than 30 years and I can say with conviction, that I have NEVER burned up a motor with a lean tune, nor have I had a piece of trash, or whatever, in a fuel jet, hurt anything. But that's just me..............lol

When people do attempt to get their tune more in line, by cleaning it up and fail to take additional timing out, is usually when the damage happens. Then they incorrectly deduce, that they got it too lean.

Monte
Old 12-14-2015, 02:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Spraying long distances introduces the extra challenge of keeping the combustion chamber cool. As vehicle speeds increase, loads increase as does residual heat buildup. If you cannot keep the combustion chamber cool, the head will begin to melt near the spark plug area.

As for the argument of which is safer, rich or lean, they both can get you into trouble.

Here is one of the most experienced and knowledgeable people in the world on the subject on nitrous a/f mixtures:
Interesting.

Well, in this day and age of technology....I assume there's got to be some kind of sensor/computer that monitors A/F during a hard run, and if it goes either way out of safe parameters it will just shut down everything.....?

During a roll race with no traffic in sight....that would be harmless...Just roll to a stop.

Old 12-14-2015, 02:58 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Is this for the 390" engine in your signature?
Old 12-14-2015, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by badformulaLS1
So basically just make sure you have enough nitrous to maintain pressure through the run and it's safe for long pulls? For example on the OP's big nitrous shot he'd need like 2 15lb bottles run together?
If bottle is full and PSI not below 900 it will be safe all the pull, Also in overdrive ratio , A lot of people facing backfire with high shots or small shots due steady fuel PSI and below 900 PSI Nitrous , High shots nitrous flowing faster that means faster PSI going down , For example if the Nitrous PSI is steady same as Fuel psi steady u can run 1 minute without any issues also in overdrive ratios .

For me personally for my new build i'm running Dual stages direct port 300 1st and 300 second and it's for rolling street race , I can spray as i'm not under 900 PSI and each stage has separate 12lbs carbon fiber bottles .

Attached Thumbnails How long can you spray nitrous......roll race....?-dp-arp-1-nx.jpg   How long can you spray nitrous......roll race....?-arp-dp-2.jpg   How long can you spray nitrous......roll race....?-arp-nx-3.jpg   How long can you spray nitrous......roll race....?-ws7-exterior-arp.jpg  

Quick Reply: How long can you spray nitrous......roll race....?