Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Someone tell me how to get a Nitrous Mother Bottle

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 07:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone tell me how to get a Nitrous Mother Bottle

I am located in the Charlotte NC area and Airgas and Praxair will only sell to a business. They also require a site review so there is no way around this. Are their other companies that I should check with? Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:52 AM
FormerVendor

I haven't heard of not being a business causing an issue getting Nitrous. As long as you follow their lists of requirements you should be fine, and most of the requirements are safety issues that should be done anyway (that's what the site visit is for). If you have a local welding supply store I would ask them who they use or if they can get it for you.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:00 AM
12 Second Club

would like to hear where guys are getting them from
Old 08-19-2016, 03:54 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

We have bought nitrous mother bottle from welding supply places for 15+ years and never had an issue. Most of the ones I bought were just under my name and not in a business name. Some welding suppliers wont let buy them and make you lease them but I always managed to find a place that would sell them to me vs lease.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe contact a local speed shops that carries nitrous and see if they'll get you a mother bottle under their account? We've done that in the past. We also got it from praxair, but had a company name and never ran into the issue you're having.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

I ran into the same thing when I called Airgas in the city where I lived. They wanted me to be a business and they said they had to do a site visit. Really got the run-around from them. Just for fun I called another Airgas in the area and they told me just to come in and pick it up. No business, no visit. And just for fun their bottle with nitrous in it was significantly cheaper than the first one! My wife and I ended up ironically buying a house and moving to the other city (just lucky) so it's not an issue now.

Call other Airgas places. You might find one that will help you. Just because one wouldn't surprisingly doesn't mean the others won't.

Scott
Old 08-22-2016, 04:29 PM
Teching In

Call a few local welding gas supply dealers in your area.... One of them will hook you up ....
Old 08-28-2016, 08:23 PM
Teching In

Still working on this. Praxair allowed me to complete an application and is going to let me lease a bottle for $60 and pay about $210 for a 70# bottle. I think that was the size but I cannot remember. However, It has been almost 2 weeks and nothing has happened yet. We will see.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:21 AM
FormerVendor

I'm glad to hear that you finally found someone. It can take a little bit of time to get the account setup sometimes, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Let me know if you ever need anything and I'll do all I can to help you out!
Old 08-30-2016, 05:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AJatNitrousOutlet
I'm glad to hear that you finally found someone. It can take a little bit of time to get the account setup sometimes, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Let me know if you ever need anything and I'll do all I can to help you out!

Thanks. I got an e-mail today from Praxair indicating that my bottle had been ordered and should be here in the next few days.

I purchased your gravity feed kit, but it is my understanding that all of the bottles that Praxair leases include siphons. I guess that I won't be able to get all of the nitrous out of the bottle, but is there anything special that I need to consider using a mother bottle with a siphon.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:43 AM
FormerVendor

Just keep the mother bottle warm, and the bottles you're filling cold. It should transfer pretty easy whether it does or doesn't have a siphon tube. It may be worth checking into one of the mother bottle heaters that ARC offers-
Old 08-31-2016, 01:42 PM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lamboworld
Thanks. I got an e-mail today from Praxair indicating that my bottle had been ordered and should be here in the next few days.

I purchased your gravity feed kit, but it is my understanding that all of the bottles that Praxair leases include siphons. I guess that I won't be able to get all of the nitrous out of the bottle, but is there anything special that I need to consider using a mother bottle with a siphon.
It would be better to see if you can get the bottles without the siphon tubes. When gravity feeding the tubeless bottles are preferred.

-Chris
Old 09-09-2016, 08:23 PM
Teching In

It has taken a month, but I have finally got confirmation that my 64 Nitrous mother bottle is finally ready to pick up. Unfortunately, there is not option to get a bottle without a tube so I guess that I need to figure out how to get as much Nitrous out of the bottle as I can. Would love to hear some ideas. I have purchased a fill kit, so I guess that I am ready to go.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Put your nitrous bottle in the freezer the night before. When we do that it literally takes about 10 seconds to put 10 pounds in your bottle. We also use the gravity feed kit but our mother bottle has no siphon. It may never be an issue but a mother bottle has the potential to blow off it's burst valve if the temperature and pressure get too high. I have ours secured to the wall in our shop so that ifor it would pop it wouldn't torpedo itself into the car. Just used some chains and attached it to some wall studs. Might be overkill but better to be safe then sorry.

Scott
Old 09-17-2016, 06:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Have you ever verified the weight on the " frozen bottle" method? There are two shops in town that supply nitrous where I live. That being said , the only way I've ever gotten a 10 lb bottle was through a pump station . My best ever from the shop that freezes them was 6.5, but it could solely be the owner and not the method itself
Old 09-17-2016, 08:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Dennis5374
Have you ever verified the weight on the " frozen bottle" method? There are two shops in town that supply nitrous where I live. That being said , the only way I've ever gotten a 10 lb bottle was through a pump station . My best ever from the shop that freezes them was 6.5, but it could solely be the owner and not the method itself
Yes. I weigh it as I fill it to know when I have ten pounds in it and then after it comes back to the temperature in my shop I weigh it again. If you got 6.5 pounds I'd find anot her shop.

Quick Reply: Someone tell me how to get a Nitrous Mother Bottle