Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best NOS Ingition Coil

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 10:15 AM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Best NOS Ingition Coil

Hi All, the Ignition of a NOS filled cylinder including the fuel/air mixture can increase the demand on the Ignition System.

SURE some here just reduce the SPG. (Spark Plug Gap)
THIS IS NOT the best method as the Arc Duration may be too long, past thirty degrees.
The best method is to fit a High Energy Coil, one such as the IGN-1A.

Would there be a better coil to fit ?

Mike Themos, Nitrous Supply, and the creator of NOS in 1978 now sells the IGN-1A coil/LS coil kits, a qualified distributor.

PLEASE all who fit this coil, the IGN-1A, should INCREASE the NOS retard by 1.5 to 2 degrees greater than normal due the the higher burning rate in the cylinder.

Lance
Old 05-12-2017, 10:27 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My factory coils are pretry cheap still. Now maybe when I grow up and run 400 and more that might be a worthwhile investment.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:20 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Lance, you have a complete setup of coils, custom Firecore50 wires, and the harness/bracket to fit an LS1 valve cover correct?

Can you pm the price for this setup?
Old 05-24-2017, 08:38 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Lance, I've seen you talk about these coils a lot.
I noticed you mention running plugs with a very large gap on turbocharged applications with these coils.

Would there be noticeable benefit running these and a .045"+ gap over running D585 coils with a .028" gap?
Old 05-24-2017, 09:26 AM
FormerVendor

Default NOS Plug Gap

Hi Joe, I have my own "585" with 10% more mJ and voltage.
This is could test in my CO-2 Chamber, though your question is for the Delphi Spec output ?

My "gut" is NO as the Delphi Spec 585 is a ten (10) amp coil @ 103 mJ.
The coil may not spark at .045" SPG though this has a LOT do do with the Coil Dwell and Cylinder Pressure.
The IGN-1A is a twenty five (25) Amp coil with 285 mJ @ 8.5 mS Dwell.
The turns ratio is also different to allow for a higher voltage 75 vs 85.
The IGN-1A has a Rare Earth magnet in the lamination.

Now for you SPG question : NOS + fuel/air has a faster burn rate.
Thus a WIDER SPG is MUCH better for a NOS filled cylinder.
This is RPM dependent though a 6000 RPM, with the 585, the SPG .028", the Arc Duration is GREATER that the specified 30 degrees of crankshaft rotation specified by Ricardo.
Example : A SPG of .025" will have 2x the Arc Duration of a .065" SPG if the coil can "keep up".

If your question was IGN-1A @ .045" vs D-585 @ .028" = Yes with correct Dwell Settings

DANGER ! : You must use MORE Spark RETARD of Two Degrees (2*) if you make this coil upgrade.

Lance
Old 05-24-2017, 11:43 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Lance, I saw on YB guys talked about the IGN-1A as the best option for folks with the Holley Dominator EFI as well since it doesn't play nicely with the stock LS coils. That was a couple of years ago, but I don't know if anything has changed there. But another advantage to the coil.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:24 AM
FormerVendor

Default Holley TTL

Hi Jake, yes Doug Flynn (Holley) has bought coils from Pantera EFI.

At that time he stated the same.

I "tecked" in for his needs made some observations AND now believe the GEN-IV firmware upgrade has fixed those problems.

The Holley GEN-IV has a MAP/BOOST/DWELL object, a good way to "throttle" a coil.

Lance
Old 05-25-2017, 12:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,218 Likes on 782 Posts

So, just to pick your brain. WHY is a larger gap/more spark energy beneficial Lance?

The spark plug's only job is to initiate a flame kernal in the cylinder that can then take off and burn the entire charge. I understand that a wider gap is beneficial for 2 reasons. First, the distance between the ground and the electrode increases (obviously) thereby decreasing the interference around the initial flame kernal. It doesn't "intrude" on the flame and lets it grow faster before the ground strap begins to leech away heat and slow the physical progression of the flame as well.
Secondly, the higher energy of the arc, the more heat transfer into the fuel/air charge and a larger/faster beginning flame kernal.

The reason many have "spark blowout" and are forced to decrease plug gap is because as the air is compressed and superheated, it requires more energy to create an arc between through the charge. Things such as Paschen's law can explain this mathematically (although it's quite a bear to do).

Are these the main factors playing into the success of the increased output of the coils, or are there additional benefits you'd like to mention?
Old 05-26-2017, 11:43 AM
FormerVendor

Default SPG + Arc Duration

Hi Maroon, I would like to thank you for the request as I have explained this above but in a way not clear.

ARC DURATION IS EFFECTED BY SPARK PLUG GAP.

The Paschen "law" has little concern for IC engine ignition quality.

This law concerns the BEGINNING of the ARC.

MY observation is a MUCH LOWER VOLTAGE after the ARC is established with higher current flow.
This is an important part of the ignition sequence, that length of arc.
The fuel/air is spinning in the combustion chamber AS OBSERVED BY MYSELF, Tim Wusz, etc. at the Union 76 R/D in Yorba Linda, CA.
This observation FOUND a "comets tail" inside the chamber with the head at the SPG.
One now is able to understand that ONE SHORT SPARK WILL NOT IGNITE ALL THE FUEL/AIR in the chamber.

ARC DURATION is related to RPM, the requirement of 30 degrees of crankshaft rotation for that Arc.

NOW the Spark Plug GAP has a great effect that length.

When the Gap is too small, that arc will be GREATER than the 30 degrees WASTING current flowed into an ignited chamber.

OK, did I do better ?

Lance

Quick Reply: Best NOS Ingition Coil