Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NX tech tip ( mounting the bottle)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 11:30 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb NX tech tip ( mounting the bottle)

Ok we are going to start with some simple tech and get more detailed as time goes on. Mounting of the nitrous bottle may seem to be a simple job but not done properly can result in poor nitrous performance. All nitrous companies 10lb automotive systems have a tip tube or a siphon tube inside the bottle. The inlet of the siphon tube must all ways remain covered by liquid nitrous. The siphon tubes inlet orientations matches the bottle valves outlet. They reference the bottle outlet so you can quickly see how to mount your bottle.
Most Camaros mount their bottle into the spare tire area. The bottle valve goes towards the front of the car and the outlet is aimed down. Also the bottle valve must be higher than then the bottom of the bottle.
Mounting the bottle in the rear sideways. The bottle valve should be aimed slightly to towards the rear of the car. Around 5’ o’clock position. Again the valve will be higher then the bottom of the bottle.
Mounting the bottle standing straight up. The bottle valve should be aimed towards the rear of the car.
If the bottles are mounted into any other orientation, under heavy launches the siphon tube can become uncovered and cause performance decease.
In all these cases a blow off fitting should be used.

Ricky
Old 01-10-2005, 12:27 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Good stuff, Ricky! Thanks! This right here is why NX is the best in the biz. Customer service without even asking!

Old 01-10-2005, 12:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

deinitely good stuff for the n2o LOL.good stuff Ricky.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

good info . . . would you happen to have cutaway pics of what the tubes look like - just curious.

Also, are they fixed all the way to the bottom of the bottle, or do they move around? (I had a pos NOS bottle that you could hear it when you moved the bottle) How close to the bottom of the bottle are the tubes and are they straight down or angled?

keep up the good work and thanks for the info
Old 01-10-2005, 12:49 PM
12 Second Truck Club

The siphon tubes, on the valves that I've replaced, have all been fixed to the valve. They reach almost all the way to the bottom and are straight for about 2/3's to 3/4's of the way down then angle to sit in the bottom corner of the bottle.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:24 PM

The siphon tubes are not fixed to the bottom. But they are real real close. The moving around can happen IF the tube comes loose at the valve side connection. If the bottle is empty bone dry nothing in it, and the refill station guy just slams open the valve. You may hear a loud ding. this is wear the incoming pressure as made the dip tube bounce off the side wall.
cut away pics, no problem have them hopefully by the end of the day. Now if I just figure out how to post them hear. lol, can someone pm me the information.
Ricky

Originally Posted by MeanWS6
good info . . . would you happen to have cutaway pics of what the tubes look like - just curious.

Also, are they fixed all the way to the bottom of the bottle, or do they move around? (I had a pos NOS bottle that you could hear it when you moved the bottle) How close to the bottom of the bottle are the tubes and are they straight down or angled?

Old 01-10-2005, 02:24 PM
11 Second Club

It makes it really hard to read the pressure guage thru the speaker hole. I twisted my bottle just enough to see the guage. Is this going to be a problem?
Old 01-10-2005, 02:54 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by NXRICKY
Mounting the bottle in the rear sideways. The bottle valve should be aimed slightly to towards the rear of the car. Around 5’ o’clock position. Again the valve will be higher then the bottom of the bottle.
Could you explain that a little better?

the bottom of the bottle should be facing the passenger side taillight and the valve should be facing the driverseat?
Old 01-10-2005, 03:22 PM

It makes it really hard to read the pressure guage thru the speaker hole. I twisted my bottle just enough to see the guage. Is this going to be a problem?

A little turn in the bottle will not hurt as long as the bottle is full. The lower the level the great the chances are of uncovering the inlet to the tip tube.
Ricky

Could you explain that a little better?

the bottom of the bottle should be facing the passenger side taillight and the valve should be facing the driverseat?

Sorry about that it would matter which way you are looking at it.

Ok the side ways mounting. The valve is on the passenger side of the car and the bottom of the bottle is on the drivers side. ( the bottom of the bottle is the large flat area).
Now you are standing on the passenger side of the car, looking at the top of the handwheel. The bottle valves outlet or bottle nipple is aimed slightly to the rear of the car. 7 o clock. If you were looking from the drivers side it would be 5 o'clock.
The main thing here is to think what happens to the liquid nitrous on launch, how does it move in the bottle. The opening to the dip tube all ways needs to be in liquid for best performance. And since liquid will try to go backwards that is were you will want the dip tube.

Ricky
Old 01-10-2005, 03:42 PM

Here is the pic of a cut away bottle.
Ricky

Originally Posted by MeanWS6

Attached Thumbnails NX tech tip ( mounting the bottle)-bottle-siphon.jpg  
Old 01-10-2005, 03:55 PM
I ruin the end of films...

Interesting picture. I think that solves one of the problems I couldn't figure out w/ my old setup.

I'm guessing since most bottles are made by the same companies, the orientation of the siphon tube in regards to the outlet of the valve is usually the same, right?
Old 01-10-2005, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by mongse
Interesting picture. I think that solves one of the problems I couldn't figure out w/ my old setup.

I'm guessing since most bottles are made by the same companies, the orientation of the siphon tube in regards to the outlet of the valve is usually the same, right?
Correct.
Ricky
Old 01-10-2005, 04:02 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Don't quote me on this, but I don't think bottles and valves are made by the same companies (Luxfer and Catalina make 99% of the bottles, not sure who makes the valves). Not 100% sure on that, and I'm sure I will be corrected if wrong.

All valves (unless custom) have the same siphon tube orientation (I've worked with NX and NOS valves). It is possible to remove the siphon tubes or buy valves without siphon tubes and you can position them which ever way fits your application as long as you remember which way you installed it.

Last edited by Magic Chicken; 01-10-2005 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:01 PM
Staging Lane

Default Any problem????

How about mounting the bottle upside down with the siphon tube removed? This is how I have it on my Pro-Street bike.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:41 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Magic Chicken
Don't quote me on this, but I don't think bottles and valves are made by the same companies (Luxfer and Catalina make 99% of the bottles, not sure who makes the valves). Not 100% sure on that, and I'm sure I will be corrected if wrong.

All valves (unless custom) have the same siphon tube orientation (I've worked with NX and NOS valves). It is possible to remove the siphon tubes or buy valves without siphon tubes and you can position them which ever way fits your application as long as you remember which way you installed it.
So I should be able to remove my valve and twist my tube so that is perpendicular to the blow off vavle rather than the way it normally is?
Old 01-10-2005, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by matty169
How about mounting the bottle upside down with the siphon tube removed? This is how I have it on my Pro-Street bike.
That is fine if the bottle is set up that away. Not sure how many cars bottles are upside down, but the liquid is were you need it.
Ricky
Old 01-10-2005, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Tiger2o69
So I should be able to remove my valve and twist my tube so that is perpendicular to the blow off vavle rather than the way it normally is?
Sure if it does not brake. Reminder this is an aluminum tube, I myself have turned it 90' and then marked the bottle with a black sharpie. Bottle outlet had to go in this (honda) a certian way and the only fix to do properly was to twist the tube. Now the problem, if you twist it and forget or worst stress the tube and it breaks it could be come expensive.
So why do you want to aim it with the blowdown, just curious.
Ricky
Old 01-12-2005, 09:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NXRICKY
Mounting the bottle standing straight up. The bottle valve should be aimed towards the rear of the car.

Ricky
Would it also be a good idea to mout the bottle at a slight angle as well so the bottom of the bottle is slightly angled towards the rear of the car or would it be okay as long as you turn the bottle a little so the syphon tube is towards the rear instead of straight down?

Did that make sense?
Old 01-12-2005, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Wile_E
Would it also be a good idea to mout the bottle at a slight angle as well so the bottom of the bottle is slightly angled towards the rear of the car or would it be okay as long as you turn the bottle a little so the syphon tube is towards the rear instead of straight down?

Did that make sense?
That would be fine if you have the room.
Ricky
Old 01-12-2005, 09:54 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Wile_E

Did that make sense?
Whatever you can do to make the siphon tube the rear most part of the bottle will be advantageous. That way when accelerating the nitrous will be pushed towards the siphon tube and keep it fully submerged.

Quick Reply: NX tech tip ( mounting the bottle)