Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bottle Heater/Bottle Opener Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005 | 05:50 PM
Teching In

Default Bottle Heater/Bottle Opener Question

I've got another newb question for you guys.

From everything i've read, its not a good idea to run your bottle heater while your bottle is closed (remote opener closed in my case). This makes sense, since the pressure sensor for the heater is usually mounted on the line.

So my question is, is there is any way to montier the pressure INSIDE the bottle, rather than on the line? The reason I ask is because I'd like to be able to turn the heater on while driving on the street, and in case I want to use the N2O, be able to hit my remote opener, and be ready to spray. I would rather not have the bottle open at almost all times, which would put undo stress on the nitrous solenoid and if I dont use the spray, it wastes the N2O in the main feed line (assuming its purged at the next use b/c its not up to temp).

The only place I can think to montier the pressure inside the bottle would be to mount the pressure sensor on the blow down/burst disc fitting on the valve. Is this acceptable?

Let me know what you guys think.
Old 01-18-2005 | 05:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

NX and many others make a bottle valve, that has a port for gauges, or pressure sensors that work with the bottle off.

Ryan
Old 01-18-2005 | 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Spencer
I've got another newb question for you guys.

From everything i've read, its not a good idea to run your bottle heater while your bottle is closed (remote opener closed in my case). This makes sense, since the pressure sensor for the heater is usually mounted on the line.

So my question is, is there is any way to montier the pressure INSIDE the bottle, rather than on the line? The reason I ask is because I'd like to be able to turn the heater on while driving on the street, and in case I want to use the N2O, be able to hit my remote opener, and be ready to spray. I would rather not have the bottle open at almost all times, which would put undo stress on the nitrous solenoid and if I dont use the spray, it wastes the N2O in the main feed line (assuming its purged at the next use b/c its not up to temp).

The only place I can think to montier the pressure inside the bottle would be to mount the pressure sensor on the blow down/burst disc fitting on the valve. Is this acceptable?

Let me know what you guys think.
Dynotune makes a bottle heater that you have to run with the bottle open, BUT, it shuts off at a PRESSURE, not temp. I would HIGHLY suggest it (I have it).
Old 01-18-2005 | 06:49 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Yes, you have a few options. Put the pressure switch in the side of the valve, in the extra port. this way you can have your bottle valve closed and still heat it up. What others do typically is to simply turn on the heater with the bottle closed and get it hot. Be for warned that if you forget to shut the heater off it will continue to try and heat the bottle and never shut off the heat.
Now that your bottle is hot, shut off the heater, only open the valve if you want to play. Your best bet is to mount it in the port and forget about worring of the overheat issue.

Dan
Old 01-18-2005 | 06:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by slow
NX and many others make a bottle valve, that has a port for gauges, or pressure sensors that work with the bottle off.

Ryan
Is that the stock bottle valve or another valve you have to buy separately?

On my NX valve, there is the blow down/burst disk port, is that what you are talking about?

Dynotune makes a bottle heater that you have to run with the bottle open, BUT, it shuts off at a PRESSURE, not temp. I would HIGHLY suggest it (I have it).
Yea, I plan to run a heater that uses a pressure sensor. I believe both NX and Dynotune heaters use a pressure sensor (which are the two options I'm considering).

Aside from that, I just want to know if there is a way to hook up the pressure sensor to read the pressure inside the bottle, rather than the pressure of the main feed line.
Old 01-18-2005 | 06:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DynotuneN2O
Yes, you have a few options. Put the pressure switch in the side of the valve, in the extra port. this way you can have your bottle valve closed and still heat it up. What others do typically is to simply turn on the heater with the bottle closed and get it hot. Be for warned that if you forget to shut the heater off it will continue to try and heat the bottle and never shut off the heat.
Now that your bottle is hot, shut off the heater, only open the valve if you want to play. Your best bet is to mount it in the port and forget about worring of the overheat issue.

Dan
Thanks Dan, thats what I was looking to hear.

I just wanted to make sure it was OK to mount the pressure sensor on the extra port. Had no clue if that port should only be used with the burst disk/blow down. First nitrous install jitters....
Old 01-18-2005 | 07:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

your valve should have a port on the side if its an DynoTune or NX bottle. The port has a hexagon plug screwed into it. NOT the blow-off port.
If you do not have this port on the side then you would need a new valve that has the port. What bottle do you have?
Dan
Old 01-18-2005 | 07:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DynotuneN2O
your valve should have a port on the side if its an DynoTune or NX bottle. The port has a hexagon plug screwed into it. NOT the blow-off port.
If you do not have this port on the side then you would need a new valve that has the port. What bottle do you have?
Dan
Its a fairly new NX 15lb bottle. I snapped a couple quick pics of the bottle/valve. It looks like I only have the outlet port to the main feed line, and the port for the burst disk/blow down tube. No 3rd port.
Attached Thumbnails Bottle Heater/Bottle Opener Question-image002r.jpg   Bottle Heater/Bottle Opener Question-image003r.jpg  
Old 01-21-2005 | 11:13 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Your right, I do not see a extra port on the side of the valve. Very weird, though NX standardized on the good valve....You can upgrade the valve? Let me know...
Dan