Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Cold Fusion Bottle Opener(discussion)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 01:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on Cold Fusion Bottle Opener(discussion)

Opener

What do you think of it?
Who is running one of these?

The price is Sooooo attractive
Old 02-09-2005, 01:35 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

I have always believed that should be a crime to call a solenoid a remote bottle valve . But I have seen a 12-18hp loss on the 150 shot. Surging issues on larger power levels. On the smaller shots I am sure it would not hurt near as much and for the money hmmmm?
Ricky
Old 02-09-2005, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

We dyno tested the remote opener and for the record there was "0" HP loss. I do not know what you used in your testing but clearly its not one of our openers. Please test the product before passing judgement on a product you personally have no knowledge of RICKY!!!!!Furthermore, I will gladly provide the dyno results...A safety valve needs to open and close fast. With a valve style opener if you need it to close it happens instantly. For the record, I would rather sell a product that will prevent engine damage than one that take 4-6 seconds to close meen while your picking up your engine parts off the ground.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by NXRICKY
I have always believed that should be a crime to call a solenoid a remote bottle valve . But I have seen a 12-18hp loss on the 150 shot. Surging issues on larger power levels. On the smaller shots I am sure it would not hurt near as much and for the money hmmmm?
Ricky
Originally Posted by wholesalenitrousmike
We dyno tested the remote opener and for the record there was "0" HP loss. I do not know what you used in your testing but clearly its not one of our openers. Please test the product before passing judgement on a product you personally have no knowledge of RICKY!!!!!Furthermore, I will gladly provide the dyno results...A safety valve needs to open and close fast. With a valve style opener if you need it to close it happens instantly. For the record, I would rather sell a product that will prevent engine damage than one that take 4-6 seconds to close meen while your picking up your engine parts off the ground.
Woo now hang on there cowboy.. I re-read my post and no where in there do I mention I tested your product nor did I pass any judgement. I simply stated on our tests we notice a hp loss and surging issues on bigger hp levels. In fact for the money hmm was meant as a not bad thing, I have to think about stuff like that.

So I have a few questions
What power level did yall test at?
I am confused is your prodcut a safety vavle or a remote bottle valve?
How does your valve prevent engine damage?
4-6 seconds whats that?.
Correct me if I am wrong doesn't all caps mean your yelling at me, whats up?
And I do have complete Knowledge on the part we tested.
No need for dyno sheets; can I purchase one of your opener directly from you or do I have to go throu a dealer. I'm cool with putting on the dyno, maybe this new solenoid is better then the old ones and for the money hmmmmm.
Ricky
Old 02-09-2005, 11:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NXRICKY
Woo now hang on there cowboy.. I re-read my post and no where in there do I mention I tested your product nor did I pass any judgement. I simply stated on our tests we notice a hp loss and surging issues on bigger hp levels. In fact for the money hmm was meant as a not bad thing, I have to think about stuff like that.

What power level did yall test at?--100hp, 150hp & 200hp
I am confused is your prodcut a safety vavle or a remote bottle valve? either or. the valve closes instantly when power is cut off. so, it can be used as a safety devise in the event you need to cut off nitrous supply.
How does your valve prevent engine damage? as stated in previous answer.
4-6 seconds whats that?. the time it takes a valve style opener to completely close the bottle valve.
Correct me if I am wrong doesn't all caps mean your yelling at me, whats up?not yelling. did not notice the caps was on.
No need for dyno sheets; can I purchase one of your opener directly from you or do I have to go throu a dealer. I'm cool with putting on the dyno, maybe this new solenoid is better then the old ones and for the money hmmmmm. your welcome to purchase oneof ours from a dealer or direct. Also, you can purchase one from Edlebrock since its the exact same.
Ricky
What power level did yall test at?--100hp, 150hp & 200hp
I am confused is your prodcut a safety vavle or a remote bottle valve? either or. the valve closes instantly when power is cut off. so, it can be used as a safety devise in the event you need to cut off nitrous supply.
How does your valve prevent engine damage? as stated in previous answer.
4-6 seconds whats that?. the time it takes a valve style opener to completely close the bottle valve.
Correct me if I am wrong doesn't all caps mean your yelling at me, whats up?not yelling. did not notice the caps was on.
No need for dyno sheets; can I purchase one of your opener directly from you or do I have to go throu a dealer. I'm cool with putting on the dyno, maybe this new solenoid is better then the old ones and for the money hmmmmm. your welcome to purchase oneof ours from a dealer or direct. Also, you can purchase one from Edlebrock since its the exact same.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

OK... So for the guy running the 100-125 shot, would the noid system be a good choice?

Pro's and Con's I see for both..
NX ----------------- CF
Pro: Looks Trick! Pro: Quick Close
Con:Slow reaction, Con: Possible power losses??(questionable),
bottle mounting limitations(due to how far it protrudes

Personally I am leaning towards the noid based opener...
It gets the job done, and it's cheaper too..

I would like to see some "Dynotune" representation in here too.
I still need more info on these setups to make a decision..
Dyno sheets, Vids, R&D notes..etc..whatever.

There's nothing wrong with people who stand behind their product
Old 02-10-2005, 12:32 AM
On The Tree

Cold Fusion is what Anderson Racing in Clinton IL uses for ALL of there nitrous kits. if they run em, i'd trust em with my life (which is why i bought the direct port kit)
Old 02-10-2005, 11:28 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

RedLT4Mike,
Thanks for asking for us! I would not have a problem using the solonoid opener that Cold Fusion, Edelbrock or we sell for that matter. Though it cant compare to the best one on the market http://www.speedshop.org/store/scrip...p?idproduct=16

Surging, HP loss is typically only seen when you use a solenoid opener like the NOS brand that has a small orifice opening and was not manufactured for this purpose. Not sure they still sell it. The Cold Fusion, Edelbrock, Dynotune solenoid style opener does not surge or result in a HP loss because the solenoid has a 1/4" orifice amongst other features! I just checked out the details on Cold Fusions web page and they have some additional info that may be helpful.

Summary and since you did mention Cold Fusion first - I would not have a problem buying their product.

Dean
Old 02-11-2005, 08:05 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DynotuneN2O
RedLT4Mike,
Thanks for asking for us! I would not have a problem using the solonoid opener that Cold Fusion, Edelbrock or we sell for that matter. Though it cant compare to the best one on the market http://www.speedshop.org/store/scrip...p?idproduct=16

Surging, HP loss is typically only seen when you use a solenoid opener like the NOS brand that has a small orifice opening and was not manufactured for this purpose. Not sure they still sell it. The Cold Fusion, Edelbrock, Dynotune solenoid style opener does not surge or result in a HP loss because the solenoid has a 1/4" orifice amongst other features! I just checked out the details on Cold Fusions web page and they have some additional info that may be helpful.

Summary and since you did mention Cold Fusion first - I would not have a problem buying their product.

Dean
Let me ask you this, the reason I would buy a remote bottle opener is to never have to go in my trunk and open that bottle manually, so would you say that this solenoid type bottle opener is safe enough to leave the bottle open all the time and we have no concerns about leaking? Because if not then how is this any different than just another solenoid in the line? And if this is safe enough why not just replace the solenoids with this altogether?

Thanks.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not to be a ***, just stating the obvious.

the 'noids are what cuts the nitrous instantly.

the bottle VALVE is what keeps the supply closed when the car is off, you're away, whatever...

noids fail
seals leak

valves are 10 times more reliable.

you want it to cut off in a instant? use a a noid

you want to be able to open and close the bottle remotely, TURN THE VALVE.

just my take on the obvious.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey Mike please feel free to defend your products as anyone should but havent you learned by now what getting an attitude will get you on this site? I use a 10# TNT bottle and I would rather have to modify the NX "remote bottle opener"
(which I had to do) which is a proven design and doesnt look like crap(like the noid versions do in my opinion) than use a noid version that in the past has been proven to cause a loss in HP and cause a surging affect. Now the one you have may not have any of those problems but there are some that do and that may make your look bad to soem people!
Old 02-11-2005, 05:55 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Talking

i am using one of them noids and i havent had a prob yet.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's one of them there valves. It's a different brand (industrial) but does'nt get hot and is a third line of defense on n20 bleed (reduant n2o noids). I leave bottle mech valve open all the time (couple years) and anytime I start car 12v switched ign allows instant open, allways ready. One more thing to add, I don't think it looks bad at all.

Old 02-13-2005, 04:02 PM
Staging Lane

do any sponsors care to comment on the safety of this type of opener?
Old 02-13-2005, 10:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing about the industrial noid, it's SS outside and inside (I polished it). Very good quality.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:16 AM
On The Tree

All of our solenoids are stainless steel bodies...
Old 02-14-2005, 08:12 AM
Staging Lane

Well I am still not sold on using a solenoid as a bottle opener. If that were the case then we could just let the solenoids underneath our hood hold the nitrous back all the time an never have to worry.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:23 AM
10 Second Club

I'm assuming that the noid style opener is electrically held open. If this is true what keeps the noid from burning up? if not can how does it work? just curious.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:01 PM

The noid we tested in the past only used power to open. The noid has a latching point. Power one way piston lifted and lockedin. reverse the switch power would release and the piston would close.
Ricky
Old 02-14-2005, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would feel way more comfortable with the valve style opener. Just my opinion.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Cold Fusion Bottle Opener(discussion)