Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous on Carb Setup

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitrous on Carb Setup

Ok. Trying to figure some things out for a car I'm building right now. Thinking about going with nitrous on the car, and have looked at quite a few things. Just trying to figure out where the lines get plumbed in to feed the fuel solenoids. I realize that the EFI cars can pull straight off the rail on the schraeder valve, but where would the pickup be on a carb. Also should I consider running an electric fuel pump with the nitrous setup? I don't have any kind of fuel pump right now for the motor, so I wouldn't be out of pocket anything if I need to get the electric pump.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:42 PM
SSU Moderator

The best way would be to run two tanks, two pumps, and two reg's. The less expensive way is to simply "T" or "Y" off the feed line and go to a separate regulator only, and have it feed the solenoid. Then you could tune the fuel side easier. But remember you are using the same pump so it must support the total HP from engine and nitrous. Or, you go do something in-between, like having two pickups (one tank), two pumps, and two reg's.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RyanJ
The best way would be to run two tanks, two pumps, and two reg's. The less expensive way is to simply "T" or "Y" off the feed line and go to a separate regulator only, and have it feed the solenoid. Then you could tune the fuel side easier. But remember you are using the same pump so it must support the total HP from engine and nitrous. Or, you go do something in-between, like having two pickups (one tank), two pumps, and two reg's.
ditto that.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

If I were to run a single pump to support the engine with nitrous, would I have to worry about the motor running way rich when I'm not spraying? I had thought about a seperate fuel system for the nitrous though with like a 3 gal. cell and 104 in it.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2002yroneformula
If I were to run a single pump to support the engine with nitrous, would I have to worry about the motor running way rich when I'm not spraying?
No not at all. You just have to run a more powerful pump.
I prefer to run two smaller pumps rather than one large one,
but no it will not make a carb run richer.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your running a low pressure fuel system? What I have done on a couple plate systems is basicly what was said above. Not knowing what car makes it harder to give ideas, but here I go. Because a plate sys I am assuming it's older and a mech fuel pump, so what I've done is add an additional pump (electric low press) in line before mech pump, tee supply line, then each has it's source and pump (fuel noid/carb). You can wire electric pump to manually start or to come on when n2o is activated: through arming toggle or wot switch. If your running a big shot then dual tank, dual pump and dual lines are in order. Hope this makes sense.

Edit: If you would like more specific responses give the engine, year, car info.

Last edited by Robert56; 02-22-2005 at 09:47 PM.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Robert56
Edit: If you would like more specific responses give the engine, year, car info.
Sorry, should have included that in my original post. It's a crate 350(service motor not ZZ350 or anything) and I've swapped in a small Comp Dual Energy cam(not sure on the specs, but it's very mild) from a 283 I was building to put in a 1927 Roadster. This is all going in a 72 Chevy Nova, and I'm still trying to decide on whether to retain the stock fuel tank or swap for a fuel cell. I'm looking to run between a 100-125 hp jetting. I'm guessing the motor will probably make somewhere around 300-325 without the nitrous and I'm shooting for just over 400 hopefully with the nitrous.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:41 AM
SSU Moderator

that hp goal isn't that huge, so you could still use one affordable electric pump for both engine and n2o (and no, the fuel pump has no effect on rich/lean; unless you run out of pump). Maybe a Holley black or their race pump hooked to the stock tank.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a holly red pump, going through a mallory return style reg for both the carb and my nitrous system, teeing off before the carb for the solenoids. In retrospec if i had a choice i would have gone with a holley bule pump the has no pressure relief valve.

Quick Reply: Nitrous on Carb Setup