Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

N2O in a Car Wreck

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 06:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default N2O in a Car Wreck

Will having an N2O bottle in your back seat/trunk increase the danger of explosion/fire in the event of a car wreck?
Old 04-01-2005, 06:37 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sharpe
Will having an N2O bottle in your back seat/trunk increase the danger of explosion/fire in the event of a car wreck?
Common since would be that it depends on where you get hit i would say.. But yea, Im sure you might get a fire if all elements are right. You would have a greater chance if it was back by the spare tire for a small explosion. If it ignites between the rear seats from a wreck that i dont know if you would live to tell about anyways.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:58 PM
BMN
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

N2O is NON-FLAMIBLE. Wont blow up with a firey blaze. It will prolby blow out the flame and freeze what ever is on fire from the gas that leaked out of the tank from impact.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:55 PM
10 Second Club

Well, comming from a non N2O guy, I guess I got proved wrong. Well, there is your answer. Sorry for the ignorance. Was just thinking a flammable substance.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:56 PM
FormerVendor

N20 is an inert gas.....non-flammable
Old 04-01-2005, 09:50 PM
12 Second Truck Club

yeah, what they said.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:18 PM
TECH Veteran

I knew that N20 was non-flammable, but I still wasn't sure that it wouldn't react the same in a car fire as fire in the cylinders.

So, if the bottle gets hit really hard, say if you dropped it off an overpass, or shot it with a gun, it won't blow up, right? But, what if you threw it in a fire?

The N2O helps pack more oxygen into the cylinders, therefore allowing a bigger explosion, right? But, it's the gasoline (or whatever), oxygen, and the spark that are exploding; N2O just makes that explosion bigger, right?

So, if that were true, if you sprayed it in a fire, wouldn't it make it bigger?

So, I ask again, in the case of a car wreck, does an N2O bottle directly increase the chance of danger?
Old 04-01-2005, 10:38 PM
Staging Lane

My biggest concern would be that the bottle itself is mounted sufficiently well enough to prevent it from becoming a projectile easily capable of crushing your skull......
Old 04-01-2005, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

or the bottle itself getting hit and blows aluminum shrapnel at 1000psi!

Old 04-01-2005, 10:51 PM
12 Second Truck Club

if you throw your bottle in a fire, or your car is burning to the ground, it could blow up if the blowoff fitting fails. I don't think much would happen if you dropped it off an over pass except it might dent the bottle or if it landed on the valve, it could break and expell all the nitrous.

generally speaking, if you're in a wreck bad enough for your bottle to become an issue, you have much worse problems. make sure your bottle is securely mounted so it doesn't become a projectile like X-ZZ4 said.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

So, if that were true, if you sprayed it in a fire, wouldn't it make it bigger?
like stated before i think it will put the fire out. i believe it is only effictive in a closed controlled environment.this remindes me of parties at my house. i get a lighter and the N2O bottle out and people freek out. next time i will heve to spray it on the fire.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:14 PM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Nitrous in non flamable owever it is under HIGH pressure. this could make it explode (not fire type explode) under very high temperature or contact (fire or hard contract) thus making it send shrapnel sp? at a very high rate which I am sure could kill you or cause a lot of pain.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Magic Chicken
if you throw your bottle in a fire, or your car is burning to the ground, it could blow up if the blowoff fitting fails.
Meaning, if N2O escapes and interacts with the fire...

Originally Posted by Magic Chicken
generally speaking, if you're in a wreck bad enough for your bottle to become an issue, you have much worse problems.
Problems I don't want compounded by a N2O fueled explosion!

Originally Posted by sleepersilverado
i get a lighter and the N2O bottle out and people freek out. next time i will heve to spray it on the fire.
Do that. If you live, report the results of your research.

Now that everyone has the "N2O IS NON-FLAMMABLE!!!11" stuff out of their system, let me make a statement:

I think an N20 bottle, when exposed to flame, becomes a bomb, and a car that is filled with N20 from a breached or leaking bottle is likely to super nova if introduced with even the smallest fire.

Why is that statement incorrect?
Old 04-01-2005, 11:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by yak
Nitrous in non flamable owever it is under HIGH pressure. this could make it explode (not fire type explode) under very high temperature or contact (fire or hard contract) thus making it send shrapnel sp? at a very high rate which I am sure could kill you or cause a lot of pain.
So you are saying that it does increase your chances of danger in a wreck. We are under the same impression.

Looks like we will be reading about sleepersilverado in the Darwin Awards...
Old 04-01-2005, 11:39 PM
TECH Regular

Meaning, if N2O escapes and interacts with the fire...

I think an N20 bottle, when exposed to flame, becomes a bomb, and a car that is filled with N20 from a breached or leaking bottle is likely to super nova if introduced with even the smallest fire.

all it "should" do is blow out the rupture disc and expell the gasses. Thats why the burst disc is there to prevent it from becoming a bomb.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It would increase the available oxygen in the interior. This would help any fire that is burning to burn better/faster. So, though it won't burn directly, it will accelerate the combustion of anything that happens to be on fire in the area.

This should help.

http://www.inchem.org/documents/icsc/icsc/eics0067.htm

Or.

Although N2O does not enter the biological oxidising processes, it is a powerful oxidant i.e. it strongly supports any combustion process. It is absolutely wrong to assume that it will prevent fires and explosions by dilution of oxygen. It is as effective as oxygen in producing explosive mixtures.
From here:

http://www.nda.ox.ac.uk/wfsa/html/u18/u1810_01.htm

Last edited by trackbird; 04-01-2005 at 11:49 PM.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

There is a LOT of misinformation in this thread.

Nitrous does not affect a fire until it reaches a specific temperature and it splits the elements apart. I want to say ~500*F.

Spraying a campfire, lighter, etc with nitrous will NOT accelerate it into a fiery blaze, except maybe a slight increase b/c of added oxygen. (almost negligible gains..)
Old 04-02-2005, 12:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Thanks for the links trackbird. The second was a bit too much for me tonight, but the first was bite-sized enough to swallow.

My statement seems to be standing as people have only provided information to support it rather than deny it.

Old 04-02-2005, 12:28 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Sharpe, I was not talking about if the gas was released and interacted with the fire. I was talking about bottle explosion due to pressure if the burst disc failed and did not blow off.

How about this, if you're that afraid of nitrous, don't use it. If you're prone to car wrecks, don't use it. For that matter, if you're prone to car wrecks, don't drive. Are you worried about your gas tank exploding if you get in a wreck? You have a much better chance of that happening than a nitrous related casualty due to a wreck. Or if you want, wear a fire suit and a kevlar vest and helmet and get a fire suppression system for your car in the EXTREMELY UNLIKELY event that your nitrous bottle blows up or makes an already blazing inferno even worse. But if it came down to that, you're freaking dead anyway without nitrous so who cares!

Just my opinion.

Old 04-02-2005, 12:40 AM
Teching In

ok, i may be wrong here. I know that the nitrous can not ignite, but if it sits inside of a fire, wouldn't the pressure in the bottle build up until the bottle explodes sending pieces all over. This is assuming of course you don't have a blow down tube. I could be way off with this since I am new to the nitrous scene. Just wondering, Fire would cause the gas inside the bottle to expand till it had now where else to go and if there is no relief valve then that bottle would have to blow right???