Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous bottle opener opinions please...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Nitrous bottle opener opinions please...

NOS bottle opener (solenoid) vs. NX opener. Pros and cons of each?
Old 06-28-2005, 05:59 PM
11 Second Club

dyno-tune's doesnt fit all the bottles...you have to make sure it'll work for the bottle you have.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:36 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm an NOS guy. I like my bottle opener. Though (no offense to anyone) everybody here swears by NX and kinda looks down upon NOS.

have both of them had problems? yes.

so to be non sided, buy whatever one is your favorite color or on sale lol
Old 06-28-2005, 07:59 PM
FormerVendor

A few off the top of my head. You won't see any HP loss when using a solenoid style opener from the companies listed below. Each one is nice and has its place. It just depends on what you want it to do. Do you just want it to open your bottle? Do you want something that will be able to shut off the supply of nitrous almost instantly in an emergency?

Pros of solenoid style (from Cold Fusion, Edelbrock and Dynotune)
Quick Close

Cons of solenoid style
Manually open and close your bottle valve (don't leave your bottle open and just use the solenoid)

Pros of bottle valve opener
Physically opens the bottle valve

Cons of bottle valve opener
Takes a few seconds to close (around 4)
Old 06-28-2005, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you mount your bottle behind drivers seat on driveshaft hump, you will not need remote bottle opener and you can see your pressure gauge very easily. I made a custom little steel stand to mount my bottle.

But if I had to choose, it would be NX.

Last edited by gollum; 06-28-2005 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:22 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

If you want the best here it is (Designed and Manufactured by Dynotune)
Full Billet constuction
Quick release head, no tools needed to remove the opener!
Open access to all ports
Built in carry handle
Drive gear doubles as manual valve handle!

http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store...p?idproduct=16

Dean
Old 06-28-2005, 08:42 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I personaly prefer the NX remote opener.
I do not care for the solenoid style openers.Regardless what anyone says it does change the flow of the nitrous.Im sure on a street car application not enough to tell.

I would use the gear style opener ,Dyno Tune or NX,before using the solenoid style.
Dave
Old 06-28-2005, 09:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's my take. I have used a few different types. I like the NOS Pinch Valve style for a couple reasons. One, no constant voltage to hold noid open, like the rest of the electric types. Two, because it is instantly on or off, and it acts as a safety shut off (mech doesn't). I have never heard of the NOS being a restriction, check the orifice size out sometime. The one problem they have is after a period of use they can leak slightly, however, this is usually reported on noids that have been in use for years, and a rebuild is in order. The draw back for me is the fact that I haven't been able to make it auto open and close, like below. Manual on/off only, don't forget to open bottle like I have.

The next one I would chose is Dyno Tune. It has a small inner plunger that opens and allows pressure to equalize, then the full size plunger opens (more efficent and less wear/tear). Eventhough it's a constant voltage type, it has a small amp draw compared to others. This type you can set-up to automaticaly open then close concerning ignition on then off.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:18 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have helped numerous people that have had problems with the NOS style opener not opening all the way causing flow restriction,also leaking and jusr finally giving up.I have never used one but hwen you talk to hundereds of people a month the people let you know real quick whats working and whats not.I have personaly had to many complants on them.I call that real world testing.Im sure as long as its working properly its ok.However the way I see it is why buy a part twice.Then it cost more.
Just a personal opinion.
Dave
Old 06-28-2005, 09:38 PM
Teching In

I have the NX opener and love it
Old 06-28-2005, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys. Dyno Tune or NX it is.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:51 PM
TECH Resident

You do know NOS makes a bottle opener that actually opens and closes the valve as well right? I have a brand new one for sale if you are interested.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
I have helped numerous people that have had problems with the NOS style opener not opening all the way causing flow restriction,also leaking and jusr finally giving up.I have never used one but hwen you talk to hundereds of people a month the people let you know real quick whats working and whats not.I have personaly had to many complants on them.I call that real world testing.Im sure as long as its working properly its ok.However the way I see it is why buy a part twice.Then it cost more.
Just a personal opinion.
Dave
That's true, but these have been on the market for many, many years. Just check E-bay out sometime, as many people buy used that have been in service for ? years. New compared to used is a different story. Every noid built has a fail rate. Just like your lifetime warranty on NX noids to be rebuilt; when needing rebuilding does this mean they are pieces of crap? It's a maintance thing on all noids.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Noids can be Roids!
Old 06-29-2005, 09:11 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

This is why you would want to use a real remote bottle open. And as far as time goes its 2.2-2.5 seconds with our opener set properly. We just tell you to hold the botton for 3 seconds as a for sure thing.

Ricky
Old 06-29-2005, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

lol.... anyone have any pix of the nx opener? ive never used any of this stuff.. im old skool, give me a plate kit and i'll tune it low psi and itll run the number. Since this car is a street car I would like the spray to be readily available (never needed it available, since ive only had race cars) so I think a remote gauge, and remote opener would be nice, but with those things, and the blowdown tube, and the transducer from the bottle heater, it just seems like it would be a PROJECT just to get the bottle out and filled everytime. how hard is it pull a bottle with all of those things hooked up?
Old 06-29-2005, 12:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here's one I used in the past. Not a name brand, but rather an industrial noid used the maritime bussiness. I have left my bottle open (mech valve) with this noid for upto six months at a time. I had it wired so that anytime the ignition was on the bottle was open (noid didn't get hot either). When ignition was turned off, bottle closed. The mechanical type bottle openers are fine, however, for me the added clutter for a system on display was the down side. On my Z06 I don't need a bottle opener as I can reach the mech valve easly, but I like the allways ready factor and may change out my NOS valve for this reason (I have to remember to click on/off).
Old 06-29-2005, 12:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Robert56
Here's one I used in the past. Not a name brand, but rather an industrial noid used the maritime bussiness. I have left my bottle open (mech valve) with this noid for upto six months at a time. I had it wired so that anytime the ignition was on the bottle was open (noid didn't get hot either). When ignition was turned off, bottle closed. The mechanical type bottle openers are fine, however, for me the added clutter for a system on display was the down side. On my Z06 I don't need a bottle opener as I can reach the mech valve easly, but I like the allways ready factor and may change out my NOS valve for this reason (I have to remember to click on/off).
I like it.
Where did you get the marine one??
My NOS noid goes out much too often.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

here is my whole set up, it is like the fifith picture down is is the newer NX syle opener, and it is sick I love it nitrous pic
it is some older pics, but you'll get the idea.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is tehre any difference in the purple NX Bottle Opener, vs. the Black one. ie. Is one NEWER/Better or is it just for looks?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Nitrous bottle opener opinions please...