Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam only z06 need N20 advice.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cam only z06 need N20 advice.

ok a bit over 400rwhp now cam only.. i just found out i inherited a daily driver. so i think i'll put a bottle on the z06 after the aussie clutch goes in next weekend.

i still haven't decided to go NX wet or TNT F1.. but i wanted to know.. i plan to go through probably 1 to 2 bottles a month. what shot will be realtively safe?
100, 125, 150??

also what fuel pump should i upgrade too.. eventually i'm going to add afr 205cc heads so that will bump the fuel requirements a bit.

also the neccesity list.. window switch, tr6 plugs, fuel pump.. anything else? progressive controller? if i do a 125 wet (probably highest i'll go) is it safe to spray that off the bat at 3,000rpm.

Yea i've searched but this is a specific application.. so was just wanting input from anyone that has already gone down this road. thanks!

Kirk
Old 07-19-2005, 03:26 PM
SDB
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get teh racetronix plug n play kit for fuel pump...
Then you can spray all you want (at least up to 250 shot easily)...including your other proposed mods

Get the new corvette MAf kit from NX..really nice piece (I think it fits Zo6 MAF, not toally sure though). Get the bottle opener, heater, purge, etc from NX. Get a timing tuner (fullthrottlespeed.com) for rpm window switch and timing adjsutment. TR6 plugs gapped at .038, change the fuel filter as well for safety, and you should be good to go.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:38 PM
TECH Addict

A 100 shot will be safe and you won't need an aftermarket fuel pump. Get a window switch, don't spray below 3000 RPM. Get a FPS switch, a WOT switch, bottle heater and purge.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Elite_Hot_Rod
A 100 shot will be safe and you won't need an aftermarket fuel pump. Get a window switch, don't spray below 3000 RPM. Get a FPS switch, a WOT switch, bottle heater and purge.
I agree, Id go with the TNT 100 wet. It will be more than enough for ya with a Z06 making 400rwhp NA...

Well at least for a while. If you go with a FPS stay away from the POS hobbs switch that NOS sells....
Old 07-19-2005, 05:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by cantdrv65
I agree, Id go with the TNT 100 wet. It will be more than enough for ya with a Z06 making 400rwhp NA...

Well at least for a while. If you go with a FPS stay away from the POS hobbs switch that NOS sells....
Yea who does make a good FPSS? I have the NOS one and it clicks on and off!!
Old 07-19-2005, 05:11 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ravenous T\A
Yea who does make a good FPSS? I have the NOS one and it clicks on and off!!
NX (Nitrous Express). From what I've been told, all of their components are top-notch.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea i know of 3 people including Ravenous that have had that clicking on/off even when there is enough fuel.

so i'll get the car tuned for the right air/fuel on the dyno before i spray it on the street and do an air fuel guage i guess. .if the FPS switch does that i'm gonna toss it. lol
Old 07-20-2005, 01:20 AM
TECH Addict

Most A/F gauges are pretty much useless, If I were you I'd get a fuel pressure gauge and a N20 pressure gauge. Your runs will be more accurate if you launch at the same N20 pressure each pass. Use the purge to set the N20 pressure at about 950 PSI.

Originally Posted by InsomZ
yea i know of 3 people including Ravenous that have had that clicking on/off even when there is enough fuel.

so i'll get the car tuned for the right air/fuel on the dyno before i spray it on the street and do an air fuel guage i guess. .if the FPS switch does that i'm gonna toss it. lol
Old 07-20-2005, 01:31 AM
Launching!

Ok, yes 150 is perfectly safe as long as its tuned properly. Yes you can spray this right off the line with a window switch and wot switch. As long as you get it tuned properly it will be fine. My friend has been runnin 150 on his Cam only TA for as long as Ive known him. He's made over 800 runs in his car (not all nitrous) as he has every time slip hes ever gotten. As long as you do it right and have a good tune on it you should be more than fine.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The LS6 can easily take a 150 shot. Either brand is good, maybe do a search on each kit then you can make an informed decission on what's best for you. On the fpss, all are about the same (prob sourced from same manufacturer), the real problem is people don't know how to adjust them for their specific needs (plug in end, remove and turn screw). Depending on your traction (tires) you may want to split into stages or go with a first gear lock out, or both. I can get a 1.65 60' without n2o and that's with 315 BFG's slipping a little allready with stock hp. Some Z06 n2o pics in my web, may give some insight into your choices. Also, good info in my links section concerning n20/vettes.
Robert
Old 07-20-2005, 06:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Robert56
The LS6 can easily take a 150 shot. Either brand is good, maybe do a search on each kit then you can make an informed decission on what's best for you. On the fpss, all are about the same (prob sourced from same manufacturer), the real problem is people don't know how to adjust them for their specific needs (plug in end, remove and turn screw). Depending on your traction (tires) you may want to split into stages or go with a first gear lock out, or both. I can get a 1.65 60' without n2o and that's with 315 BFG's slipping a little allready with stock hp. Some Z06 n2o pics in my web, may give some insight into your choices. Also, good info in my links section concerning n20/vettes.
Robert
All FPSS are NOT THE SAME! The NOS version which is made by Hobbs is an absolute POS.... I have set serveral of these POS Hobbs switches calibrated with an ISO standard pressure calibration unit... Then added a little vibration and watched them turn on and off though far away from the pressure trip point. If you buy the NOS brand switch which is made by Hobbs the best way to install it is to remove it from the packing and toss it in the nearest dumpster.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:01 AM
TECH Junkie

I used a digital A/F gauge that I had wired directly to the front O2's.... I once had a fuel noid failure and trust me you'll see the lean condition immediately... I saw it read between .100-.000 when the noid failed. This saved my engine, as I didnt even melt a plug electrode.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

PnP fuel pump setup...and a dry kit! Then you dont have to worry about some stupid fuel noid
Old 07-20-2005, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the advice ya'll.. what would the injectors need to be for a dry 125rwhp shot.. 36 lb'ers?
Old 07-20-2005, 11:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cantdrv65
All FPSS are NOT THE SAME! The NOS version which is made by Hobbs is an absolute POS.... I have set serveral of these POS Hobbs switches calibrated with an ISO standard pressure calibration unit... Then added a little vibration and watched them turn on and off though far away from the pressure trip point. If you buy the NOS brand switch which is made by Hobbs the best way to install it is to remove it from the packing and toss it in the nearest dumpster.
I disagree, if in fact the NOS is a Hobbs brand, then it's top quality. Why do I say this, because I have been a mech in the Maritime boat/ship building for about 30 years and Hobbs has been used as the pressure sw of choice. We use these as oil pressure shutoffs, pump pressure shutoffs, fuel pressure shut offs and many other applications. Hobbs has become a rather generic name for all brands of pressure sws. You should use FPSS on your fuel system, and if adjusted correctly will be trouble free, and might save your engine.

InsomZ, here's the math for injectors to use with a dry hit:

(Projected RWHP x .5) / 6.4 = Min Injector size (80% duty cycle)
Old 07-20-2005, 11:31 AM
FormerVendor

Good advice from everyone so far...if you decide to go with the NX system you should run it at 1050psi, not 950psi. Other than that just get the FPSS, window switch (first gear lockout is a good option to have), and all the other things like heater, purge, gauges, etc..
Old 07-20-2005, 11:35 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

WWW.Dynotunenitrous.com sells a wet kit made for your Z. We have had great luck with the kit, deifnatly a killer deal and eveything included. If you looking for over 175HP then you should go with the NX kit for sure!
Cheers

Dan
Old 07-20-2005, 03:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Robert56
I disagree, if in fact the NOS is a Hobbs brand, then it's top quality.
This is the hobbs switch Im referring to... As noted in the specs it can fail with vibration....

http://content.honeywell.com/sensing...reSwitches.asp

As I've said before go with the NX brand switch, AVOID the Nos, Im not the only one who has seen vibration cause the NOS (hobbs) to malfunction...

Last edited by cantdrv65; 07-21-2005 at 07:33 AM.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:30 PM
TECH Addict

I disagree with that Jeremy, you'll find that if you launch with the bottle pressure at 950 PSI your passes will be more consistant as the bottle pressure doesn't fluctuate as much going down the track as it will if you launch at 1050.

Originally Posted by NXJeremy
if you decide to go with the NX system you should run it at 1050psi, not 950psi.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok a bit over 400rwhp now cam only.. i just found out i inherited a daily driver. so i think i'll put a bottle on the z06 after the aussie clutch goes in next weekend.

i still haven't decided to go NX wet or TNT F1.. but i wanted to know.. i plan to go through probably 1 to 2 bottles a month. what shot will be realtively safe?
100, 125, 150??

also what fuel pump should i upgrade too.. eventually i'm going to add afr 205cc heads so that will bump the fuel requirements a bit.

also the neccesity list.. window switch, tr6 plugs, fuel pump.. anything else? progressive controller? if i do a 125 wet (probably highest i'll go) is it safe to spray that off the bat at 3,000rpm.

Yea i've searched but this is a specific application.. so was just wanting input from anyone that has already gone down this road. thanks!

Kirk
Kirk, you saw what my car put down w/ the TNT kit in person

NX FPSS, MSD digital window switch, WOT switch, and dynotune bottle warmer.

I am ordering a wideband A/F gauge b/c i want to see what my A/F is real time and not rely on the FPSS to cut it off if i were to go lean.