Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DYNO Black Smoke out exhaust when let off gas after WOT

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 07:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default DYNO Black Smoke out exhaust when let off gas after WOT

Might have been more of a white colored smoke.

Nitrous is almost done. Ok I was dynoing my car to get a base line and the shop noticed something that disturbed me.

The car had a small puff of white smoke when they first started it up that went away right away. They also had the car apart and said my intake had oil puddled in it when they looked into the hole.

Then we dynoed it, and no smooke was coming out of the exhaust at all. Mycar was 12.2 A/F Ratio just FYI on that dyno run. Then we went WOT and went up to 6,500 or whatever the limit was and AS SOON AS THEY LET OFF THE GAS, on deceleration, a cloud of white hazy smoke came out oif the exhaust

On the nitrous run, they just did one. It only picked up 50 hp, but ran 13.0 A/F , so they didn't run it anymore. They put in Bigger Fuel Jets so I can get it lower and my goal is around 11.8 or so, but we haven't dynoed it again.

I have heads and Cam etc. seee sig. The smoke only happened on deceleration. What is this and is it safe? I was told it might be a Ring and the oil getting by.

Is my engine going to blow up???? Should I dyno it again with the nitrous?

Any information on this would be appreciated :thumbs:

Last edited by 2001 Red Coupe Bandit; 10-04-2005 at 08:19 PM.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A cylinder leak down test will tell you if a ring, a intake valve, a exhaust valve and general condition of engine. oil in the intake is fixable, just add a oil catch can in your pvc system.
Robert
Old 10-05-2005, 05:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks Robert. They said they didn't think it was the heads, but who knows.

I have a PVC already and that is what I thought might have been the cause, possibly that they hooked it up wrong after taking it off, but he said he just took one hose off it and then put it back on, so I am not sure.

Is it OK to run it on the dyno with a 100 shot to get the pills tuned right or am I gonna blow up my car?

Thanks
Old 10-05-2005, 06:01 AM
11 Second Club

The title says black smoke which usually equals a pig-rich condition.

The content says white smoke which would indicate coolant (head gasket problem?).

If it's oil, the smoke normally has a bluish tint to it and you should be able to smell burnt oil.

Personally, I wouldn't spray till you find the cause of the smoking.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Good Advice Trooper. Many say there car shot smoke oiut and it wouldn't hurt it, but to get it fixed.

Remeber it really only comes out on DECELERATION. NOT when it is reving through the gears, Only as soon as they LIFT OFF THE GAS after a WOT Dyno Run....
Old 10-05-2005, 06:44 AM
11 Second Club

Yep, understood. I still wouldn't spray until I nailed down the cause.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:29 AM
TECH Addict

If you had a issue on the 50 you would definitely want to do the 50 again after you feel good about the smoke issue. Don't jump up in power until you are sure the little shot was good to go.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:31 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 2001 Red Coupe Bandit
Good Advice Trooper. Many say there car shot smoke oiut and it wouldn't hurt it, but to get it fixed.

Remeber it really only comes out on DECELERATION. NOT when it is reving through the gears, Only as soon as they LIFT OFF THE GAS after a WOT Dyno Run....
You should really remove a car out of gear after the pull is done. If i am understanding correctly the car was left in gear using the engine to "decelerate"...If thats is so then it probably sucked oil past the valve seals and burned it off.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Car is an automatic. I just meant it made 50 HP because it was sooo lean at 13.1

Thanks
Old 10-05-2005, 10:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Sounds like valve seals to me.... One way to test. When the car sits for say 30 minutes, crank it up and let it idle....Any smoke?

Blowby the rings, and oil burned from the PCV system usually occurs under hard acceleration and high rpms.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

The PVC and oil in the intake is a known issue on the vettes. The fix is to add a oil/water seperator for an air compressor. Many threads on this over at corvetteforum.com. This may be the culprit, cause you say there was oil puddling in the intake (same places that fuel can puddle or h2o). GM did fix this issue by changing PVC route, I know my year has the new set-up, I think, I don't remeber the years on this. A guy on this last dyno day had an '02 coupe and it was spitting a little whitish smoke out, but no one thought it to be a real issue, auto also. Whitish smoke can be a fooler also, I am/was getting it on my Harley over the last week, and like what was said that is usually h2o. However, Harleys have no coolant/h2o what so ever. Problem was a rich condition burning oil in clyinders, just adjusted carb and white smoke went away. It never did look bluish to me? You may be burning that oil in intake under hard pulls, and thus nothing really wrong?

On tuning, like CHarris suggested, get the 50 tuned correctly then move on. If your using the manufacturers suggested jets, you'll be close enough not hurt anything anyway. So, jumping to 100 shot would not be a problem, but I like to work my way up to be on safe side. Your tuner should be watching the a/f and shut you down if there is a serious problem. 13.1 on spray to lean, 13.1 N/a not bad, some say most power there.
Robert
Old 10-06-2005, 09:57 AM
TECH Junkie

If the car puffs smoke while idling it is the valve guides and or seals....As any Mitisubishi vehicle or Dodge Caravan(Mitisu engine) has experienced... You will be to smell oil in this scenario. As Robert says the Ls1 PCV system sucks *****, but that issue is also caused by the oil ring. The catch can mearly catches the excess oil for ya. My 99 had the intake oil burning problem, luckily my '01 Z06 does not, and burns basically zero oil.

I think the oil and PCV issues are caused by loose fitting pistons which is actually done somewhat on purpose in a performance engine. My 99 also had the telltale piston slap since new, while I have yet to hear a peep out of my Ls6.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:16 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK,
Guys I watched the video Gary sent me.Unfortintly his car is needing a ring job.I have a feeling that the extra cylinder pressure just finished off what was already on the verge of taken place.THe car is not making HP because its feeling the cylinder up with oil...
Dave
Old 10-06-2005, 12:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
OK,
Guys I watched the video Gary sent me.Unfortintly his car is needing a ring job.I have a feeling that the extra cylinder pressure just finished off what was already on the verge of taken place.THe car is not making HP because its feeling the cylinder up with oil...
Dave
Ditto, I seen it also, and concure that something let go (most likely the high cly press from spray finished an exisiting issue-ring(s)). Heavy bluish smoke on acceleration and deceleration. Time for a new LS7 427 for $13k from Jegs.
Robert
Old 10-06-2005, 01:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Robert56
Ditto, I seen it also, and concure that something let go (most likely the high cly press from spray finished an exisiting issue-ring(s)). Heavy bluish smoke on acceleration and deceleration. Time for a new LS7 427 for $13k from Jegs.
Robert
That sucks and I'm very sorry to hear the bad news.

Concerning the new LS7 motors, Scoggin-Dickey (SDPC) will sell you one for $12,600.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by XTrooper
That sucks and I'm very sorry to hear the bad news.

Concerning the new LS7 motors, Scoggin-Dickey (SDPC) will sell you one for $12,600.
There ya go, save another $400.
Robert
Old 10-06-2005, 04:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you want to know for sure the problem, and what cly(s) do the clyinder leak down test. All speculation will be gone.
Robert
Old 10-06-2005, 06:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There is ratlling now when started, so a piston is gone or a rod is bent. Either way I think there is no doubt that it is time for a new motor

Last edited by 2001 Red Coupe Bandit; 10-06-2005 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

There is ratlling now when started, so a piston is gone or a rod is bent. Either way I think there is no doubt that it is time for a new motor
Sorry to hear about your motor.
How many miles on the engine?
Old 10-06-2005, 10:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yea, I am real sorry also to hear of your problems. I have been crossing my fingers all year, cause as most know, I pound my car hard, but carefully. It's like the saying, "If You Want to Play, and Can't Pay, Don't Spray". Even smaller shots add some wear and tear, and if dragging, a lot of problems anywhere in the car can arise. Good luck on your engine choice.
Robert

Quick Reply: DYNO Black Smoke out exhaust when let off gas after WOT