Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Propane information

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 02:12 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

who is actually running propane? is it safe to have that propane tank in there ?

i may actually try this....
Old 10-14-2005, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was talking to my old man about it and he said that back in the late 70's they use to run it on gas cars all the time. They didn't use it with nitrous though, they were basically/WERE using it as a fuel alternative. It was just a plate system (similar to the nitrous plate systems). This definately isn't "new" technology is all I'm saying, more like "re-invented". I definately want to hear about the jetting information though..
Old 10-14-2005, 12:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by greekss
who is actually running propane? is it safe to have that propane tank in there ?

i may actually try this....
Currently I am not, but in the past had a propane/gasoline 454 BB chevy with mondo compression.
Robert
Old 10-14-2005, 12:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

talk to fitz98ta. He runs it and loves it.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/10-second-club/289859-finally-10-seconds.html
Old 10-14-2005, 05:55 PM
12 Second Club

This looks very promising.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

To The Top with a pm sent.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Disclaimer: I've never run propane/nitrous, so the following is only my thoughts.

One thing you really need to be carefull with, is to make sure you don't run out of propane.
If you run out of nitrous, your run rich, if your run out of propane your run lean!
The other thing I remember reading is most propane bottles draw the vapor but you need to draw the liquid. Maybe the bottle upside down with that safety valve bypassed?????
Vinny
Old 10-17-2005, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

why do you have to draw the liquid? either way it's going to be adding octane right?
Old 10-17-2005, 02:12 PM
TECH Junkie

i know for diesels, they draw the vapor. not the same thing here, but just statin the facts.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The engineer siting in the cube over drives a turbocharged propane powered Ford Falcon daily. He's never had a problem with runing out of propane short of having to figure out a way to refill the tank.

Yes, I give him plenty of **** for driving the falcon.

There is some info on the net if your interested in Propane. Moreover, give RC Engineering a call and ask for Quantum injectors if you want to run Propane. You will need a low impedence driver also.

Propane is not my gas of choice... But a little bird told me that propane doesnt have the same cooling efect due to evaporation/atomizing that pump gas has. In other words, less propane, less Energy Density, less thermal load. Please confirm elsewhere before blowing yourself up.

Moderator: not trying to pimp propane injector parts. There are only three manufacturers in the World (Bosch, Keihin, and Quantum). Only Quantum's are design and manufactured in the USA. (Guess how I know)
Old 10-17-2005, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 860 Performance
Disclaimer: I've never run propane/nitrous, so the following is only my thoughts.

One thing you really need to be carefull with, is to make sure you don't run out of propane.
If you run out of nitrous, your run rich, if your run out of propane your run lean!
The other thing I remember reading is most propane bottles draw the vapor but you need to draw the liquid. Maybe the bottle upside down with that safety valve bypassed?????
Vinny
What you are saying is completely true, however, for people like me who want to use the propane as an ADDITIVE instead of racegas it's not really the same. I'm more interested in using propane as an alternative to race gas.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

The point of this thread was to find out what size jets to use when you are using propane as stand alone fuel for nitrous.The car would still run on 93 octane in the tank. I am not interested in running on propane all the time.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LT99LS1
The point of this thread was to find out what size jets to use when you are using propane as stand alone fuel for nitrous.The car would still run on 93 octane in the tank. I am not interested in running on propane all the time.
I agree with you. Propane+nitrous instead of nitrous+dedicated race gas tank just seems so much more, well, better
Old 10-18-2005, 01:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 860 Performance

Vinny
That's why most propane/nitrous systems use a pressure safety switch on the propane tank. If it runs low, the entire system shuts off.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:33 AM
10 Second Club

i have been running a kind of 2-stage (its all on one window switch right now) nitrous propane kit for a couple years now.

i have the traditional dry kit before the maf and a single nozzle nitrous/propane wet after the maf.

i originally did the dry kit and wasn't impressed so i was just about to switch over to a wet kit whe i came across this idea. i originally did the system so i wouldn't have to upgrade my fuel components. the system works great and i hope to put it on a two stage window switch for a true 2-stage capabillity.

companies don't like talking about these systems for a few reasons

1. you are putting a propane bottle in the back of your car (not the smartest thing to do)
2. propane is somewhat hard to regulate consistent pressure.
3. some of them just don't know enough about it.

one big plus of doing propane is the increased amount of torque that it makes over gas.

you are limited however to how big of shot you can run (still not small by any means) for the fact that you can only cram so much gas into an intake.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, I had toyed with using propane at the beginning of the summer but then stepped back to think about it some more and now I'm leaning towards using it again. I think I'm going to get Nitro Dave's new LS1 plate. I would think it should work awesome with the propane. Anyone see any potential issues with it?

BTW, fitz98ta, thanks for the info.

Also, I just didn't care for the bulk of some of the tanks but I've discovered that Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops sell a 4.25 lb bottle that is rather compact. They also sell an adapter that you can use on the small disposable 1 lb propane bottles. I'm considering giving that a try.

Last edited by PAGregSS; 10-19-2005 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:12 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by PAGregSS
Ok, I had toyed with using propane at the beginning of the summer but then stepped back to think about it some more and now I'm leaning towards using it again. I think I'm going to get Nitro Dave's new LS1 plate. I would think it should work awesome with the propane. Anyone see any potential issues with it?

BTW, fitz98ta, thanks for the info.

i think it would work great.

just be sure if you go with the propane to BE ON A WIDEBAND when you jet it.
when i first jetted mine i ran it for a while running WAY to lean before i put it on a wideband
Old 10-19-2005, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the advice. I know a guy that installs the nitrous/propane systems on a lot of Vipers. I'll talk to him about the jetting and do the initial setup on a dyno.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:26 PM
12 Second Club

Fitz, what can you tell us about jetting?
Old 10-19-2005, 09:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by fitz98ta
i have been running a kind of 2-stage (its all on one window switch right now) nitrous propane kit for a couple years now.

i have the traditional dry kit before the maf and a single nozzle nitrous/propane wet after the maf.

i originally did the dry kit and wasn't impressed so i was just about to switch over to a wet kit whe i came across this idea. i originally did the system so i wouldn't have to upgrade my fuel components. the system works great and i hope to put it on a two stage window switch for a true 2-stage capabillity.

companies don't like talking about these systems for a few reasons

1. you are putting a propane bottle in the back of your car (not the smartest thing to do)
2. propane is somewhat hard to regulate consistent pressure.
3. some of them just don't know enough about it.

one big plus of doing propane is the increased amount of torque that it makes over gas.

you are limited however to how big of shot you can run (still not small by any means) for the fact that you can only cram so much gas into an intake.
Are you using a NOS bottle heater, it will keep your tank at 160psi, no more hard to regulate pressure issues. Th NOS heater uses 85* thermastats and that equals 160psi on a propane bottle.

Your right about the companys not knowing enough about running propane with nitrous. You do not have to put the propane inside your car. I would recomend find a place in a fender well or mounted on frame, for safety. I don't think you would pass tech at the strip with a bottle in the car?
Robert

Quick Reply: Propane information