Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Propane information

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 08:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Robert56
Are you using a NOS bottle heater, it will keep your tank at 160psi, no more hard to regulate pressure issues. Th NOS heater uses 85* thermastats and that equals 160psi on a propane bottle.

Your right about the companys not knowing enough about running propane with nitrous. You do not have to put the propane inside your car. I would recomend find a place in a fender well or mounted on frame, for safety. I don't think you would pass tech at the strip with a bottle in the car?
Robert
no i am not currently running a bottle heater on my propane bottle. i have kinda been scared of having power on the bottle. plus i have mine jetted for the bottle being at 60 psi (the psi that i was told to use at the time) and i am only using a fuel noid on the propane side. now i am using the bottle flipped upside down for liquid form, which i was told wouldn't have to be jetted as high or run as much pressure in this form.

the only thing about mounting the propane bottle in the fender wheel or on the frame is the fact if you get in a reck and somebody happens to just hit you at the spot the bottle is mounted, could cause an explosion. i mounted my bottle in the spare tire well and i only have a couple bungy straps holding it in so if i get hit HOPEFULLY it will allow a little flex. and as far as tech goes they haven't asked to see in the tire well yet

Originally Posted by The Sad
Fitz, what can you tell us about jetting?
honestly i have not messed with jetting to drastically. i have only had one nitrous jet in the wet kit side and then i just jetted the propane side till it was a little fat.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yea, my jetting table (which I will post for all later today) is for up-right tanks and 140/160psi.
About the propane under the car, that's how you can pass Dept of Trans, and is standard. That's where I had my tank mounted on my Big Block Chevy. Think about it, you take the chance of your gas tank being a bomb everytime you drive, and we would never choose to put our stand alone fuel tanks inside the car. With that said, I will probably put mine in the small compartment (vette) in back.
Robert
Old 10-20-2005, 01:31 PM
10 Second Club

Yea, my jetting table (which I will post for all later today) is for up-right tanks and 140/160psi.
About the propane under the car, that's how you can pass Dept of Trans, and is standard. That's where I had my tank mounted on my Big Block Chevy. Think about it, you take the chance of your gas tank being a bomb everytime you drive, and we would never choose to put our stand alone fuel tanks inside the car. With that said, I will probably put mine in the small compartment (vette) in back.
Robert

i could understand if it was up under the car somewhere. i thought you were referring to it on the side of the frame or tucked in some tight location that if it were to get hit would cause it to bust open and possibly explode.

and i understand that i take a chance with getting the gas tank hit, but it also doesn't have 140/160 psi built up in the bottle and use fittings that could possibly leak as easy as a small propane tank (i've heard horror stories of the tanks exploding in RV's and what not)

please don't think i am second guessing you, i am sure you know more about this stuff than i do, i am just telling how mine is setup and how it appears to me.

anyway do you know what the advantages/cons in gas vs liquid are? which one would be better?
Old 10-20-2005, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So with heating the bottle to 160 psi, do you use a regulator then?

This has got to be the best discussion on this topic I've ever seen.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:10 PM
10 Second Club

no regulator is needed, the noid and the jet regulate it,
the more pressure the smaller jet you will need
Old 10-20-2005, 03:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by PAGregSS
So with heating the bottle to 160 psi, do you use a regulator then?

This has got to be the best discussion on this topic I've ever seen.
Yep, no regulator needed. However, if you run a pressure gauge you'll know when refill time is coming. But you'll refill your nitrous bottle many times before propane bottle. Most of the bigger bottles have shrader like valve for checking pressure and that way you don't have to open bottle and fill line just to see pressure (wasting propane). I don't have the jet sizes handy but will get it by tonight.
Robert
Old 10-20-2005, 05:43 PM
TECH Resident

I offer propane injections kits for diesels, tanks, and solenoids.. We could definately get you guys set up for using propane if you'd like to try it!
Old 10-20-2005, 08:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NitrousDirect
I offer propane injections kits for diesels, tanks, and solenoids.. We could definately get you guys set up for using propane if you'd like to try it!
I need a 5lb propane tank.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

The 4.5 at Cabelas is like $40. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...equestid=39979
Old 10-20-2005, 10:22 PM
TECH Resident

smallest i have is 8lbs i think
Old 10-21-2005, 12:42 AM
11 Second Club

so with liquid propane you use a fuel noid and gassious you us a nitrous noid, correct?
Old 10-21-2005, 01:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by cyipher
so with liquid propane you use a fuel noid and gassious you us a nitrous noid, correct?
Doesn't matter, as long as it can support the pressure, some fuel noids can, some can't.

Here is the jet table I have using NOS jets:

These jet sizes are for running 140/160psi on your propane tank.

Now I would log for a/f and KR for fine tuning and optimum performance, but these are known good starting points. Every set-up is a little different depending on volumetric efficinacy. You will not blow your motor up using this jet table.

For those that have been PMing me, I will be out for a while, as I go in for neck surgery in the morning. They are removing two vertabrae in my neck and replacing with plastic, then tying everything together with SS plates. Oh boy fun. Talk to ya all later.
Robert

Last edited by Robert56; 12-01-2005 at 02:52 AM.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:38 AM
12 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

For those that have been PMing me, I will be out for a while, as I go in for neck surgery in the morning. They are removing two vertabrae in my neck and replacing with plastic, then tying everything together with SS plates. Oh boy fun. Talk to ya all later.
Robert

Good luck and God bless.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Doesn't matter, as long as it can support the pressure, some fuel noids can, some can't.

Here is the jet table I have using NOS jets:

These jet sizes are for running 140/160psi on your propane tank.

Now I would log for a/f and KR for fine tuning and optimum performance, but these are known good starting points. Every set-up is a little different depending on volumetric efficinacy. You will not blow your motor up using this jet table.

Robert
Thanks for answering all my pms Robert. Have fun going thru the Airport after the surgery!!! God Bless.

Last edited by Robert56; 12-01-2005 at 02:54 AM.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:01 PM
10 Second Club

hope everything goes well, good luck with the surgery.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:54 PM
TECH Resident

Good luck robert!
Old 10-21-2005, 05:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Good luck and have a good recovery also.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:19 AM
TECH Resident

good luck robert, thanks for the info, you are the man
Old 10-22-2005, 06:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the encourgement everyone. I am back home know and hurting for certain, even with all the pain pills. Seems sitting at my computer is less pain than the easy chair?
Robert
Old 10-23-2005, 12:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Good to hear your doing ok.

And sence your back I take it your jetting chart is for a single or duel nozzel setup and not a DP set up right? If so anyway to work it out for a dp kit?

Quick Reply: Propane information