Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

nos intake explosion

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 01:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tatoy
I got to look into all of the relay's as well... I think that they might be too big amp wise.
Faulty relays can keep main power going to noids (amperage rating higher on relays is good, meaning a 60 amp relay is better than a 20 amp relay). To low of an amp rating on relay and you can weld contacts together, so they won't release. Sorry to hear of your mishap. Sounds like the fuel side did not shut down, re: stuck open fuel noid (constant power or particulate in noid/faulty noid)? If you figure it out for sure let us know. I would be for sur talking to FAST about the burst panel thing, not good.
Robert
Old 10-19-2005, 07:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sending everything back to Nitrous Daves for him to go through for me. He's gonna flow everyting and take the noids apart as well. So I'll post up what he finds and the final results. As for Fast hopefully they come thru for me as well. Talking to a rep now.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:18 AM
11 Second Club

damn wayne...sorry to hear about your mishap man...Matt told me about it last night. hope the damage to the car was minimal!!
Old 10-19-2005, 09:12 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Wayne that 20 amp fuse should have poped.
Dave
Old 10-19-2005, 11:12 AM
FormerVendor

Nick sent me the rest of the picts last night. Sorry to see them.

Matt

Last edited by Matt@HSW; 10-25-2005 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:40 PM
11 Second Club

The funny thing is that the burst panel was the only part that was still together..
Nice.

Sorry to read about your bad luck.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:44 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Man that sucks...
Car was honking 9.98@140+

Did u ever get a motor pass out of it....
Old 10-19-2005, 04:20 PM

man that sucks we have not had those kinda problems, thankfully

good luck with the new set up
Old 10-19-2005, 09:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
Hey Wayne that 20 amp fuse should have poped.
Dave
So dave what could possibly be the reason the fuse didn't blow. I agree, all the senerios say fuse should save system. Except if it was particulate binding noid open?
Robert
Old 10-19-2005, 09:34 PM
TECH Addict

That's terrible man, hate to see that **** to happen. I don't think the nitrous could "fill" a motor, most likely if a noid failed open it would pressurize the intake manifold runners and boom goes the the top end. But it's just a guess.

It was a nitrous express new nozzle system adjustable up to 600 hp. I currently had the 200 jets in it running fine. I think that a nos noid got stuck open running the power straight thru melting a wire keeping it active and then filled the motor with nos and 116 octane fuel and must of found a spark and boom.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:10 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Robert56
So dave what could possibly be the reason the fuse didn't blow. I agree, all the senerios say fuse should save system. Except if it was particulate binding noid open?
Robert
Robert.Not real sure yet.When I get the parts I will open the solenoids up.First v=check for trash in them to see if one did stick open.However the fuse not blowing is leaving me to think a faulty wiring problem.Its all up in the air rifght now.However this is one of the nastyiest back fires I have seen.And it was such a nice looking system to
Dave
Old 10-23-2005, 08:21 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that sux man..... i had 2 nitrous back fires on my car..... but luckly it only blew up the air intake and not the manifold......hopefully we will get our rematch soon

Last edited by Frans96SS; 10-23-2005 at 11:03 PM.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-25-2005, 04:46 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Here's the post from www.delvalracing.net
This is from Wayne Nitrous backfire,I cant believe he would start the car?
A few of my buddies told me what happened and then I found this post and I was in shock,I only saw someone do this one other time back in 85....

Here's the post right off Delval from 2 guys that were there at the rental,

he bypass his switch because it wasnt working. he started driving threw the lot to go up to the line and the switch melted and it started spraying. he shut the car off and it was sitting there spray for about 30 seconds before he got to the bottle and shut it off. bowtiejim told him do not try to start it, push it out of the way and pull the plugs. well, we walk about 10 feet and he tried to start it and you can see what happen for the most part.

I'm sure I'm going to get attacked for posting this but I posted it for one reason...TO EDUCATE PEOPLE ABOUT NITROUS,NEVER EVER EVER START A CAR ONCE U HAVE INJECTED ANYTHING INTO THE CYL. OR THIS CAN HAPPEN TO U....NITROUS AND FUEL IN A ENGINE THATS NOT RUNNING WILL TURN IT INTO A PILE OF JUNK....

Last edited by JS; 10-25-2005 at 05:00 PM.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:51 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

damm, that poor intake never had a chance..... That just sucks, just goes to show those little blow offs are way over rated.... NOW I have an to fix the fast boom issue, spring load intake bolts... YOu would need longer bolts, 10 springs that could apply enough force to seal, yet be non colapse enough so the hole top of the intake acts like a blow off...OLD school blower stuff on a massive scale...
Ricky
Old 10-25-2005, 05:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was there and it was my vehicle that went BOOM!!! Ya I bypassed the fuel safety switch because that was not allowing the ground to engage the NOS system. Upon entering the staging lane the motor raced up to about 6,000 rpm then I shut it down right away.. The wires melted when the car was off and engaged the NOS again as the NOS main switch to arm it was still on and wired straight to 12 volts not thru the ignition. It was after it stuck open that they shouted smoke from under the hood as I poped it open to see if there was a fire.. Then the wires running inside the vehicle started to melt and smoke. A friend came over and I went to turn the keys forward to unlock the sterring to push it over to the trailer and it went BOOM. then a fire started as others yelled get out of there - I went to the trunk to shut off the NOS bottle as a friend brought over a fire ext. and started to put out the fire as the track officials then came - I was pushing my car backwards out of the fire that spread to the ground. So for my personal experience I would say never turn your keys forward to unlock the steering unless you have an ign. system cut off switch for when it's turned forward even to unlock the wheel it still powered up a coil and probably a spark as well. Man how people assume things get me...
Old 10-25-2005, 05:14 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Wayne I truely feel your pain....It was an $$$ lesson learned..I'll say it one more time,if u inject N20 into an engine thats NOT RUNNING NEVER ENGAGE power until u purge the cyl. of all N20 or this can happen to u...
Old 10-25-2005, 05:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ya I'll agree to that very $$$$$!!! Stil trying to figure why they engaged? The system stays armed when the ign is off for the bottle warmer to stay on when it's in the lanes. I've been running NOS for alot longer then the average person so this is the first bad thing in about 17 years of running NOS. This will not bring bad things about NOS for me for the next motor will be running it as well. My mistake was turning the key forward to unlock the steering wheel to push it back to the trailer. I've tested my system and ya in the past have shot some NOS into the intake but then just spun the motor with the ign power off and shot some air into it as well from the air compressor into the intake to clear it up. This is the first for me. So on the newer gen cars I'll be safe to assume that when the key is turned forward it will power up the ign. system and maybe shoot off a spark as well into a cyclinder. So be sure to have an ign. kill switch ...
Old 10-25-2005, 05:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just for other's reading this long post NOS is great just always remember to learn from others and make alot of notes. I still will be running alot of NOS in the new motor just with an ign. shut off switch for the future. I'll be hitting it with about a 250-300 shot.. I'll post some new pic's as soon as the intake is done. Custom sheet metal in the progress..
Old 10-25-2005, 07:11 PM
FormerVendor

Man Wayne that explains what happened.That sucks.Im sorry to hear about that.Have you send me what was left yet?
Dave

Quick Reply: nos intake explosion