Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dry Shot: IATs

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 03:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dry Shot: IATs

What are your IATs by the end of the of the 1/4 mile and what size shot are you using?

I've yet to try but, I did a 2nd gear pull yesterday and my IATs went from 55* to 16* by the beginning of 3rd gear. I'm using a single .44jetted dry shot.

Thanks.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

That sounds right, but I'm not sure what you're getting at.
You have to remember that the IAT temp is not going to be a constant for a certain power shot. It depends on other things as well, like the size of the air tube, how far away the N2O nozzle is from the IAT, the amount of air the engine is moving (RPM), and so forth. It's never going to be a constant.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Cool

Hey Dan,

Nope, not trying to make a point... Just thought it was interesting.

Thanks.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

How quickly did the IAT react to the nitrous? Instantly or slowly over time? There are some neat things you can do using IAT, but only if the sensor reacts quick enough. I haven't had a chance to experiment with this myself thats why i'm asking.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

IATs aren't all that fast in my opinion, but that's because I'm comparing them to thermocouples with bare wire sensors. Thermocouples are the closest to instant as you're going to get.
There are some IATs that are pretty quick though. You just have to test a few of them. From what I've seen the plastic ones are much quicker than the brass.

I know what you're getting at about having the code change the tune based on IAT output. IMO the IAT is either too slow or not consistant enough to do it that way unless you're using an IAT tricker & not relying on the N2O to change your IAT reading. Unless you're getting a very consistant IAT reading I wouldn't trust the tune to it. You just have to test and see.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:41 PM
TECH Veteran

It dropped 30 degrees throughout one gear. I don't have the IAT addition to my PE table so, I couldn't use that method either way. Only the later models have this I suppose?

Thanks.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:51 PM
TECH Regular

I tried it out on the street with a single .38 jet (50 shot) and it only went from 70 degress to about 28 with a 1-2-3 gear pull. It reacted too slowly to use the IAT temps to add fuel because you would add too much fuel in the higher gears and not enough in the lower ones.

The nozzle was about 2-3 feet from the mass air sensor though.. maybe if it was closer things would have reacted more quickly.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aram
I tried it out on the street with a single .38 jet (50 shot) and it only went from 70 degress to about 28 with a 1-2-3 gear pull. It reacted too slowly to use the IAT temps to add fuel because you would add too much fuel in the higher gears and not enough in the lower ones.

The nozzle was about 2-3 feet from the mass air sensor though.. maybe if it was closer things would have reacted more quickly.
Another way to do it is to use a resistor. wire in a relay to activate upon spraying and have a resistor to trick IAT into low temp range. Then use the Fuel Adder vs IAT table and enter the PE multipler you like, rember this multiplier is added to your wot PE multiplier. Use this math to figure ti out:
14.7 stoich / (wot PE value + Fuel adder PE value) = Wot AFR

These methods are still being tested, so anyone having success or failures please post.
Robert