Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible budget bottle heater (50 bucks max) if this is correct.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 07:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible budget bottle heater (50 bucks max) if this is correct.

Okay, ive never owned a nitrous car, nor a nitrous kit but after looking at bottle heaters they look earlily similar to the heat pads i use for my tarantulas/snakes/geckos. At any pet store, if you look in the reptile section you will find these heat pads for all variety of sizes for tanks from 5 to 50 gallons. Granted i dont know how hot these things get (never enough to actually burn you, but it does get VERY warm) and from the looks of it, a 20 gallon heat pad looks like similar in size to a bottle heater. COmpanie that make this product are "Exo Terra" and can be found at your local pet store. Take a look at pics online if you want to, and tell me if this is a halfway decent way to save money on a bottle heater.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:17 AM
On The Tree

http://www.exo-terra.com/EN/products...nforest_i.html

this is one of the 3 they offer, this ones for rainforest creatures, its basically what seems ideal as it says it doesnt get overly hot like the desert one. that tank there showing, is a little bit smaller then a bottle for size comparision.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:35 AM
TECH Regular

Hmm if I were you I would just run an actual pressure adjustable or temperature controlled bottle warmer. I dont know as to whether or not one of these would work but it just seems like spending the extra money would be worthwhile. My .02...
Old 03-24-2006, 09:16 AM
TECH Resident

is it a 12 volt heater ?
If not, better stock up extension cords.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

It would be so much trouble having to really keep your eye on the bottle pressure and trying to figure out exactly which one to buy. I would just spend the extra money on a true bottle heater. You can get them to monitor bottle pressure and will automatically shut off. That is the way i would go. Well worth the extra money.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you'll find those flexible "cloth" heating elements in alot of things... another example is a waterbed heater.

the catch is, most are 120v.. made for household use... some plug into the wall, but use a stepdown transformer.. alot of those can be used in our cars.

you'll find alot of generic products are re-badged as automotive, prices raised and resold... thats just the nature of the biz.

another example are AN fittings.. goto a automotive place, they're pricey... goto an aircraft place, they cost even more.. got a hydraulic store for the same fittings.... they're cheap. and sometimes rated for even higher pressure... just watch what the O-rings are made out of if you're running fuel...
Old 03-24-2006, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hondo
is it a 12 volt heater ?
If not, better stock up extension cords.
Just 1320 of it!
Hawk
Old 03-25-2006, 10:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Wants an LS1
Okay, ive never owned a nitrous car, nor a nitrous kit but after looking at bottle heaters they look earlily similar to the heat pads i use for my tarantulas/snakes/geckos. At any pet store, if you look in the reptile section you will find these heat pads for all variety of sizes for tanks from 5 to 50 gallons. Granted i dont know how hot these things get (never enough to actually burn you, but it does get VERY warm) and from the looks of it, a 20 gallon heat pad looks like similar in size to a bottle heater. COmpanie that make this product are "Exo Terra" and can be found at your local pet store. Take a look at pics online if you want to, and tell me if this is a halfway decent way to save money on a bottle heater.
Yeah, We use one of these to heat our iguana's glass floor with. It does get hotter than a biatch on that glass. The wife found ours on clearance at the Petco for @$10.00. We have been using it for a while now with no problems at all.

I hate to admit it, but I have thought (a few times) about how simple it would be to install a power inverter and a 'cheap' lizard warmer. I can't help but 'think' about it! The heater is very thin and low profile and gets hot fast! Adhesive backed, easy install... (We had to put a towel on the floor of the lizard house before he would lay on it, It was too hot for Izzy before the towel got thrown in there. It was a little too hot to keep your hand on for very long) My bottle IS mounted within arm's reach, so I COULD easily monitor the pressure if I 'borrowed' the heater off of Izzy's floor...
The lizard has lights and stuff, We gave it the 'hook-up' when we built it's house! He wouldn't have to suffer or anything by not having his floor heater for a little while.

But then I start thinking about the HSW heater and I come back to reality...
It is defititely going to cost me a few more $$$ and more time to install the HSW heater, but at least I will not have to listen to my friends 'goof' on me for dropping all that money in to a really nice nitrous set-up and then 'cheap-out' by slapping a $10.00 heater on it. I guess I might as well just do it right the first time and avoid the ridicule I guess.

HSW (I hate the guy that sent me the link to their site...)
Attached Thumbnails Possible budget bottle heater (50 bucks max) if this is correct.-izzypic.jpg   Possible budget bottle heater (50 bucks max) if this is correct.-izzy-s-home-6.jpg  

Last edited by BigDaddyZ28; 03-25-2006 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Added a picture of Izzy's house we built (wife and me)

Quick Reply: Possible budget bottle heater (50 bucks max) if this is correct.