Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

nitrous and car insurance

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 09:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default nitrous and car insurance

whats up with it. will a company drop you if you have it. i know its not illegal to transport, but does it give them grounds to drop you if you just use it at the track *wink anyone have any encounters like this?
Old 06-15-2006, 09:19 PM
TECH Addict

I called USAA to ask if my Vette would be covered at the track, like a dumbass I told them who I was, gave them my policy number and asked the question... when they told me it would not be covered and they would drop me if I was racing I told them I was not going to race it.

They call and ask now if I am racing the Corvette every six month's with the renewal.

I would not volunteer any extra info.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:19 PM
TECH Resident

I do beleive thats what they would call the grey area.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

i'm with those guys - you don't race your car...even at the track...and the only thing you know about nitrous is that they use it in those silly ricer movies
Old 06-15-2006, 09:50 PM
12 Second Club

haha...i have USAA also and just bought an 02 SS that i was thinkin about sprayin. I guess you shouldt tell them it will ever be at the track huh? and is the insurance agent supposed to ask you if you have nitrous/turbo etc.? cause they didnt ask so i didnt tell......
Old 06-15-2006, 10:10 PM
Restricted User

Henny, why in the name of all that is holy even want to ask if the insurance is covering that? Man, I would never ask. If they didnt tell me when I started my policy, it aint in effect...well, then I read the actual policy limitations etc..my car will never be hurt racing Only banged up if I ever get a violent blow out on the highway and scrub the guard rail or something similar
Old 06-15-2006, 10:19 PM
12 Second Club

i mean god forbit i get in an accident would it hinder or void my insurance in the occurance of an accident...and normally a tow truck takes it to the impound after a crash, keeping me from taking anything off
Old 06-15-2006, 11:04 PM
Restricted User

I am sure they would have to prove the nitrous was in use at the time of crash to do anything about it...but thats just my thoughts on it.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:05 PM
JUICED96Z

GEICO asked me if my car has any modifications..... I replied with ummmm no its stock, they said are you sure? you have not modified the engine or car in any way?.... no its stock......

I have heard they will drop you and or not cover you in a wreck. if it gets trashed at the track I will not even file it, just fix it or part it out. Only have collision anyway.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:19 PM
11 Second Club

ix-ney on the performance upgrades-ey. they will drop you like a bad habit. what they dont know, wont hurt me. godforbid however if i ever trash the car, i dunno what im going to do...lol.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:33 PM
12 Second Club

i guess itll be a good thing to have wire cutters and a set of hand tool in case you wreck to yank out the goodies
Old 06-16-2006, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by iamsickofitall
i'm with those guys - you don't race your car...even at the track...and the only thing you know about nitrous is that they use it in those silly ricer movies
No way! I would NEVER USE NITROUS! It might explode with a big ball of flames like it did in the fast and furious movie.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:05 PM
TECH Resident

Well your insurance can be dropped just for you being at the track (with the car)... A good friend's house insurance got cancelled because they came to his house and saw he had a trampoline.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Charging TA
Well your insurance can be dropped just for you being at the track (with the car)... A good friend's house insurance got cancelled because they came to his house and saw he had a trampoline.

that is crazy!!
Old 06-16-2006, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CAT3
I am sure they would have to prove the nitrous was in use at the time of crash to do anything about it...but thats just my thoughts on it.
i doubt they would have to prove anything they would prolly just drop you for the iconvenience. Isurance companies are bastards like that.

-john
Old 06-16-2006, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

what they don't know won't hurt
Old 06-16-2006, 08:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what they dont know wont hurt em is right...if something happens just yank the bottle out of the car before the tow truck gets there. They cant prove what they cant see.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

i don't know why you guys are so worried about tow truck drivers...if you tip 'em good their short term memory seems to disappear
Old 06-17-2006, 12:00 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SmaknaSS
No way! I would NEVER USE NITROUS! It might explode with a big ball of flames like it did in the fast and furious movie.
my mom really thinks that happens she even refferenced the movie
Old 06-17-2006, 03:56 AM
JUICED96Z

Originally Posted by iamsickofitall
i don't know why you guys are so worried about tow truck drivers...if you tip 'em good their short term memory seems to disappear

Yeah you would be suprised what at least a $20 can do LOL.
I have had my old 86 towed once and the beater towed twice.
First two guys were muscel car guy's. First guy was trying to talk me into a ram jet motor and the next used to own a LT1 Formula with an LT4 kit.
Last guy was kinda into car and I paied him cash before he left. He did not have change for what I had to pay and I needed $5 back, I told him to keep and and take care of my beater when you are taking it off the truck (flat bed). He said you got it. I caled my buddy at the shop and told him to watch the guy. Sure enough he took his time and was very carefull.

I allways have some extra money on me at the track, that way if the car breaks I can call my insurance (have road side assistance) and meet the driver were "my car is" say across the street at the gas station. (Don't want to call GEICO and tell them the address of the track and them look it up LOL.
Crack the driver AT LEAST a $20 and have him drive me across the street to the real location of the car and make sure he forgets were he went after the gas station with me and forgets what wheels and tires he saw on the car and what he saw under the car LOL.
Like I said most of them are into cars and like talking going fast.

Quick Reply: nitrous and car insurance