Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you guys have against ZEX?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 07:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Caribe
I have the all in a box Zex Kit. For a newby nitrous set up it was not too bad. Clean and easy install. Gains at the track with a 100 shot was from 11.8@115 to 10.9@125. That was with around 850 bottle pressure also. The thing about the kit it does not give you the room to upgrade your system like the NX, dynotune, etc. As for the purple it is pretty ugly but there are ways around that. The only purple you see on my setup is the bottle opener. Here are some pics.
Thanks for your imput.....

Many of you talk about the color...that's cool...I hid my lines and bottle so I'm not bothered at all....

The silliest things some of you are saying "the solenoids are too small" "Worthless at higher shots"

I mean come on...first off 100 shot seems to be the general rule as the limit on a stock LS1 dry shot.....and they handle just fine with that load.....
2nd...you need a big-shot solenoid anyway when you're going for the "Big Shots" well atleast it's recommended.
3rd....here's an example of a ZEX working well.....

I have a friend who has an 03' Mustang GT....he ran a 100 shot on a stock motor...dyno'd over 350rwhp and 470lbs torque...this is from another "Import" Zex kit on a damn mustang.

Nitrous is nitrous people...some applications may be better than others...but let the results speak for themselves. I paid 300 total for my kit....the kit...the lines....the -4 cables....the bottle opener tons of jets everything buttons yada yada...

My only reasoning for this thread is because when someone ask "What Kit" you all down ZEX and go straight for NX now sure it's a proven good product...but how are you helping the guy? Show him some applications...what he/she can do with what kit...the benefits of dry vs wet....everything...I don't think it's fair to only be critical on a product because of a purple bottle....

Also...here's the Mustang I was talking about.....
Jeff Whiteman of Precision Autosports did the dyno tune....anyone in OH I recommend his services...he did my rear-end re-build and I'm very happy.

http://www.precision-autosports.com/...rs.php?id=5&q=
Old 07-12-2006, 07:44 PM
10 Second Club

Why make the post if you already know 'nitrous is nitrous'? No one said it couldn't work, just that it cannot support big horsepower, it is not servicable, and the construction is iffy. Hell, I've had 2 basic zex kits... one was for my small motor car and the other was for this car when I had no intention of staying with nitrous. I stayd with nitrous, though, and had to change set ups because of it.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by The Alpha Male
Nitrous is nitrous people...some applications may be better than others...but let the results speak for themselves. I paid 300 total for my kit....the kit...the lines....the -4 cables....the bottle opener tons of jets everything buttons yada yada...
well damn, If I paid $300 for a complete nitrous sytem that worked, I damn sure wouldn't care what some guys on LS1tech had to say about it.

why do you care?
Old 07-13-2006, 12:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dreamer
well damn, If I paid $300 for a complete nitrous sytem that worked, I damn sure wouldn't care what some guys on LS1tech had to say about it.

why do you care?
Not to use this against ZEX, but that statement dosen't hold much air. You can trade your car in for one that costs $500 and works, see where I am going...
Robert
Old 07-13-2006, 02:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dreamer

why do you care?
I'm curious as to why with all these threads "What Dry shot?" or whatever, I haven't seen any proof at all that the ZEX doesn't compete "AS Well" as the other brands.

I mean why does the sponsers put soo much emphasis on NX products? Is it because there's more profit to it?

I mean they do sell ZEX products I just bought a Nozzle of one of our sponsors from them...so why not promote other products too?
Old 07-13-2006, 03:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

supply and demand my friend, personally im about to buy a zex kit, small shot for ***** and giggles and later down the road will get another kit and go dual stage

oh yeah and the purple doesnt bother me, the whole damn car is purple
Old 07-13-2006, 04:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Robert56
Not to use this against ZEX, but that statement dosen't hold much air. You can trade your car in for one that costs $500 and works, see where I am going...
Robert
no im lost
Old 07-13-2006, 06:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah I got my zex kit and purge for $330 off ebay, I couldn't find anything more affordable. Granted I wasn't surfing around LS1tech at the time either, maybe one of the sponsors can put together a whole dry kit for $300, I don't know.

How is it? I don't know, I won't be spraying for a few more weeks, almost out of Japan, only have some Tr6s left to order.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

One thing that has bothered me about ZEX is the bottle valves. I've seen two valves go bad. I've never taken one apart to compare to anyone elses bottles but I find it strange that I've only seen that with Zex brand valves.

Does anyone have any more info on this topic?
Vinny
Old 07-13-2006, 10:20 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like I said eariler lets get some dyno sheets up of the different kits all installed on a stock motor same shot. That will prove which brand is the most effictive on the market & show weather Zex is worth spending money on.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:48 PM
TECH Addict

I've worked with cars with the ZEX system and those (including my own) with NX systems. The NX systems consistently outperformed the ZEX systems mod for mod. Your results may vary.

Plus purple anything doesn't belong on a car I own
Old 07-13-2006, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

TNT is a great dyno proven nitrous company for our cars.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 860 Performance
One thing that has bothered me about ZEX is the bottle valves. I've seen two valves go bad. I've never taken one apart to compare to anyone elses bottles but I find it strange that I've only seen that with Zex brand valves.

Does anyone have any more info on this topic?
Vinny
im pretty sure (almost posotive) zex doesnt manufacture their own valves. it might be coincedence that those two valves that went bad were on zex bottles. their are only about 3 or 4 major manufacturerers of compressed gas valves.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:58 PM
TECH Resident

all this talk about ZEX kits not being able to be upgraded to make/take big shots is untrue.
their are three types of zex kits(not 2 like i said b4) their is the "standard" kit that is good for 150 shot, the direct port for the fast intake which is supposed to be good for up to (i think) a 250 shot, these come with the smaller solenoids. then their is the race kit that come with the "big" solenoids just like the NX or TNT kits for the guy who is gonna use their kit regularly or needs the big hit or be rebuildable.

i bought my direct port ZEX because 1 it was made to bolt up to my fast intake 2 the parent company owns ZEX & FAST 3 i dont need/want a big shot and dont plan on spraying that often. any one of those reasons isnt a big deal but all three together is what helped my make up my mind.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:39 PM
10 Second Club

The direct port and EFI race solenoids are the same.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Robert56
Robert
well, sort of. I could trade my car in for one that costs $500 and works but I'd also have a big stack of cash to show for it.

but I think I get your point. just because it 'works' doesn't mean its a good idea.

my point was that if you're happy with the performance and safety of the setup, who cares if people talk trash about your purple bottle
Old 07-14-2006, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Why the hell even waste your money then???

Anyone who is serious about their car, wants to get top performance for their car out of the parts they put on. I would rather spend the extra $150 or so to get a LS1 performance proven & tested system. You know it has noids built to handle the amount of nitrous abuse most LS1 nitrous users will put a kit through.
wasnt a waste, i dont plan to give my engine more then a 100/125 shot or use nitrous as my only power addition. so i saved money.. for what i want to use it for. what would be the differnce in hp between a zex 100 shot and other 100 shots?? not much. so why pay more for a name or bigger capabilities if i only want to go to 100. i could see if i wanted to go bigger. i however dont.
Old 07-15-2006, 03:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

all of you guys do realize that zex is made by the same company who produces the precisous FAST intake? i talked to zex about upgrading and if you call them they could get everything together and be upgraded in no time today
Old 07-16-2006, 02:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 94z28L
all of you guys do realize that zex is made by the same company who produces the precisous FAST intake? i talked to zex about upgrading and if you call them they could get everything together and be upgraded in no time today
NO, they are OWNED by the same company.

I was a dealer for NX,NOS, and ZEX. There isn't much profit at all in NX products. I pushed their kits because they work very well.
Old 07-16-2006, 03:27 PM
TECH Resident

Call ZEX c/s and you may get transferred inadvertently to COMP Cams. Apparently all one company. I'm in the process of trying to get a warranty repair and I'm being shuffled through the company directory. Still awaiting an answer....

Quick Reply: What do you guys have against ZEX?