Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you have to use a blow down tube?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 10:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you have to use a blow down tube?

If I wasnt taking my car to the track would I need to use a blow down tube? Thanks.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:34 PM
12 Second Club

No, a blow down tube is only required to meet NHRA/IHRA regulations for safety but they create these rules for a reason and I know I wouldn't want a bottle de pressurizing into the car.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Brett H
No, a blow down tube is only required to meet NHRA/IHRA regulations for safety but they create these rules for a reason and I know I wouldn't want a bottle de pressurizing into the car.
its really not that bad. its a pop like a firecracker and then the pssssssshhhhh of all your nitrous gettin vented. with my partition it kept all the gas in the trunk. pulled over, poped the trunk and cursed for about 5 minutes because it was $70 in nitrous venting away. since then ive relocated my pressure sencer to the bottle and already on my 3rd nhra fitting. poped the first, second was a defect and this one is holding but i have a small leak so ill need to reseal it again with threadlocker.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Some tracks will let you race, some won't.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by _JB_
Some tracks will let you race, some won't.
or just some of the tech guys. my friend doesnt have it in his stang and he always passes tech but when i come through they check EVERYTHING
Old 09-26-2006, 07:18 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only needed at the track, I have some guys that want it and some that don't. In 16 yrs of dealing with nitrous, I have never had to use one. Meaning I have never ruptured a safety valve..
Old 09-26-2006, 08:26 AM
11 Second Club

If you are not going to a strict tech track then it is really up to you. I can tell you this, while they are designed to help minimize risk there are WAY more people not using them by in large. Having said that I would never tell you not to err on the side of caution. Having one will add to the overall safety of both your vehicle and yourself but I don't personally use them unless I were to run at a track that required them. Hope this helps and good luck to you.

Jim C.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:25 AM
TECH Regular

A blowdown tube is only required if your bottle is mounted inside the passenger compartment. You do not need one if your bottle is mounted in the trunk (from my understanding..correct me if I am wrong).

You do need a blow off valve either way.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:03 PM
Launching!

I cant see why anyone wouldnt. It just makes sense.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:58 PM
Banned

It's a $20 safety part. Why not use it?
Old 09-26-2006, 10:13 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Wile_E
A blowdown tube is only required if your bottle is mounted inside the passenger compartment. You do not need one if your bottle is mounted in the trunk (from my understanding..correct me if I am wrong).

You do need a blow off valve either way.
That is correct.
Because this is LS1TECH I made the assumption in my first post that he was referring to a blow down tube in an f-body, Vette or in the cab of a truck.
If you don't want to buy a blow down kit, a length of braided line and a 90* AN fitting works well too.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:00 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Brett H
That is correct.
Because this is LS1TECH I made the assumption in my first post that he was referring to a blow down tube in an f-body, Vette or in the cab of a truck.
If you don't want to buy a blow down kit, a length of braided line and a 90* AN fitting works well too.
I get the feeling that there is confusion on the difference between a blowdown tube and a blow-off cap.

The blow-off cap contains the pressure releif disc which bursts at 3000psi. The blowdown tube is what attaches to the blow-off cap. In the case of the pressure releif risc rupturing, the blowdown tube's purpose is to guide the nitrous outside of the vehicle.

Now, like I said earlier, if the bottle is mounted inside the passenger compartment, a blowdown tube is required by NHRA. If the bottle is mounted in the trunk of the vehicle, a blowdown tube is not required but a blow-off cap is.

I hope this clears things up.

Last edited by Wile_E; 09-27-2006 at 09:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Do you have to use a blow down tube?