Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark plug Gurus inside please

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 07:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CAT3
P.s. Not trying to be personal, just grumpy from "flight school" which is kicking my mental ***....and I haven't even made it to the FAA Ground School portion yet *UGH*
Ah, I was just giving ya a hard time, that's why the smiley at the end. I concure pretty much with what you say. My only contention is, maybe some of us running the bigger shots should look at the non projected plug. Now, with that said, I gave hit mine with 250rwhp that last time out, on tr6 at .035 and they are fine and I will run them a few more passes. then I'll try a different plug for the expected 285rwhp shot and then my ultimate goal on stock long block 300rwhp. What would you guys rec running on these bigger shots?
Robert
Old 10-19-2006, 07:51 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go with Race 8's...however, I would seriously think about putting in the NPT plugs for the next few shot sizes. TR6 are not as optimal for hit above 150, continually step colder per 100 shot. So, I would find a plug 3 steps colder, NPT, and have fun.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:55 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
I dont know about you...but im not speculating. Im going by what ALL of our local engine builders for all types or racing suggested to me and everytime ive met a different one, they all say the same thing.

Street/strip whatever, if you paid money for it to be built they urged for me to use the good plugs. Not some economical plug that "gets good gas mileage etc and just happens to work ok because everyone on LS1 tech is using them." Thats just ignorance. Its not if, its when the motor etc will let go.

These guys dyno test every engine they use. Im sure theyve seen some plugs burnt over their years. So I take their word and what little explanation they gave to me. And when I draw conclusions from it, it all makes sense because ive had a tr6 tip blow off and lodge between a valve and a seat and the a/f at 11.8 on 200

At least by offering up your source of info you have somewhat backed up what your saying. I have to wonder, of those recommending the NPT how many do so, like the LS1Tech world, do it out of "the other guy said so" routine? I have spoke with a few builders, of LS and SBC and had no issues with the TR6 (or like) plugs in a S/S application, but most agreed the NPT would be best option for larger shots etc..
Old 10-19-2006, 09:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

P.s. Not trying to be personal, just grumpy from "flight school" which is kicking my mental ***....and I haven't even made it to the FAA Ground School portion yet *UGH*
Have fun at Ft Rucker man. Have you used the AVCATT simulator yet??
Old 10-19-2006, 09:23 PM
Teching In

I have been using NGK TR6IX and TR7IX for past 4 years on my mustangs. On anything up to a 100shot, I run the TR6IX. Anything up to 200shot, I run the TR7IX. Early on I tried running NGK BR7EFs on a 150 shot and I had good results on the nitrous but on motor the car ran like dog crap. I switched to the iridiums to overcome that limitation of the colder non-projected tip coppers. After switching, I was rewarded with better mileage, better part-throttle response and smooth as silk idle.

For all intents and purposes, iridium are the best street/strip plug for under a 200 shot. This has been my experience and *knock on wood* I haven't melted a plug or done any damage. I have sprayed in total about 300lbs of nitrous with iridium plugs!

Tony
Old 10-20-2006, 08:29 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Robert56@NitrousDirect
What about the tiny electrode becoming a blow torch? Not much to dissapate heat, imo. Having any issues like detonation, high cyl temp, inadequate fuel octane, to much timing and other scenerios could cause this little electrode to become glowing red hot, no? Just because it has worked on certain cars with no issues, should we be claiming it's a good nitrous plug? Also, why do no nitrous manufacturers rec this plug over the standard NGK Tr6, see my point?
Robert

All we run are iridiums now we don't use the ngk's but the tine tip works great on the 400 shot
Old 10-20-2006, 11:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ShiznityZ28
All we run are iridiums now we don't use the ngk's but the tine tip works great on the 400 shot
400 shot Now is this a projected tip iridium? I can see using one with out the projected tip. Do you have a part number?
Robert
Old 10-20-2006, 12:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

400 shot Now is this a projected tip iridium? I can see using one with out the projected tip. Do you have a part number?
Robert
I sense sarcasm Robert!
Old 10-20-2006, 11:21 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by brad8266
Have fun at Ft Rucker man. Have you used the AVCATT simulator yet??

Not at Rucker...Huachuca for Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) training. Hit the simulator shortly after Christmas break, then on to the flight line. As of now, we basically learn a new subject and test either daily or every other day.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Not at Rucker...Huachuca for Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) training. Hit the simulator shortly after Christmas break, then on to the flight line. As of now, we basically learn a new subject and test either daily or every other day.
Sounds fun.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Robert

I don't have the part number. grannyshifting does there the ones he was talking about $15-$20 a plug. but i can make motor passes or nitrous passes with them. but seem ot need anew set ~ 15 passes or 2-3 weekends of driving. i guess you can't get the best of everything. they idle better than the tr-7 i had thats for sure.

--- SHIZ
Old 10-21-2006, 09:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
I sense sarcasm Robert!
sence what you wan't . We have tried alot of plugs and found what works. there not cheep but they run good in most aplications.

Quick Reply: Spark plug Gurus inside please