Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS7 clutch with 400hp and 150 shot, how long would the clutch last?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS7 clutch with 400hp and 150 shot, how long would the clutch last?

Looking into a new clutch and really like the feedback on the LS7. Some bad, but mostly good comments.
-I am currently making about 400rwhp and don't plan anymore N/A power for awhile.
-I will be using a progressive controller to ramp up the shot from say 50 to 150 over a 2-3 second span.
-It would only be raced 2-3 times a month.
-The car will be on DR's and would only be launched at about 2-3k rpms...easily, not dumped.

What would you say would be my approximate clutch life span?

Money is an opject and that is why this clutch is one of my favorites, along with the stock feeling pedal that others have commented on.

Thanks for your input, James.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:54 PM
11 Second Club

I'm in about the same place,

should have near 400rwhp N/A
and will be running about an extra 100hp wet kit (150 jets go in after I upgrade the fuel system)

I was looking at the LS7 setup,
but have been told to stop being a p*ss and just get the McCloud Street Twin

I've been told that the mccloud isn't much harder to drive, but it is rebuildable
Old 01-21-2007, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what about the rear?Im in the same boat about or over 400rwhp N/A and wpuld like to add the juice (100 shot),but im an A4 though,already have a built tranny just worried about the rear
Old 01-22-2007, 08:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Around here there has not been one LS1(that I know of) with stock rear-end blow. My friend had H/C and 150 shot on e.t. streets, leaving at about 4-5k rpm for 2 years and never broke. Autos are also easier on rear-ends than a manual. But never the less, that is why I am sticking to DR's and a progressive controller so I can get it to hook and not be such a shock to the drivetrain. There is a guy here with 400rwhp and a 150 shot on an LS7 clutch, but I'm not real sure how long he has had the clutch. He likes it better than his old Spec 3, but it seems like everyone has a different opinion and experience, and it is hard to do any real comparison.
I will probably go LS7, but wanted to hear if anyone had experience with a simliar setup and possible longevity.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:30 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dr. Jeckel
Around here there has not been one LS1(that I know of) with stock rear-end blow. My friend had H/C and 150 shot on e.t. streets, leaving at about 4-5k rpm for 2 years and never broke.
For one, thats luck on your buddies part & for 2, if you haven't read or heard of a stock P.O.S. 10-bolt breaking, visit the "Gears & Axles" section.

I shattered my posi on street tires with very minor bolt-ons. LOTS of people have blown their 10-bolt.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
For one, thats luck on your buddies part & for 2, if you haven't read or heard of a stock P.O.S. 10-bolt breaking, visit the "Gears & Axles" section.

I shattered my posi on street tires with very minor bolt-ons. LOTS of people have blown their 10-bolt.
Take it down a notch buddy. I have been around for a long time and have read and done alot. I know the stock 10 bolt is a piece. I also know that no one around here that I know of, and that is dozens of cars over an 8 year span, has broken one. His was an SS with the factory auburn posi and 4.10 gears, which never broke, he just upgraded to a 9" and sold the 10 bolt. My TA had hotcam, bolt-ons, 3500 stall, shift kit, 3:73's with rear-end girdle and e.t. streets and I never once had a problem for the 2 1/2 years I owned the car. Not every 10 bolt breaks and not everyone lives. I was simply stating facts and experience.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:34 AM
On The Tree

Default the guy hasnt been around the LS1 world...

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005

Old A$$ thread I know but I never seen any1 post something like this guy did and then see that he was being serious! He doesnt know 2 ls cars let alone 8 that didnt blow the stock 10 bolt! I broke parts in my torsen LSD 3 different times,twisted driver axle once,spun pinion bearings numerous times all on street tires with my daily driver full bolton 01 WS6, built T56/LS7 clutch. After the 4.10's went in I bent axles and spun the tubes free of the housing and broke the driver side of the torsen unit off in the housing with a normal street tire 20mph roll in 1st gear street race against a 500rwhp 2010ss that I had beat 2x right b4 the 3rd race lol. I never seen a 10 bolt hold in these cars except ones that are babied and only see 100 miles a week or so and they still are on borrowed time.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:24 AM
On The Tree

around 550whp here with ls7 clutch for over 4 years and 10bolt with 4:10's daily driven, have put over 40,000 miles on it at this level, and over 100k on car and clutch never slipped nor have i snapped the 10 bolt once even launching on the bottle with 28 x 11.5 mickey thompsons
some of us are just lucky

Quick Reply: LS7 clutch with 400hp and 150 shot, how long would the clutch last?