Sponsored by:

DynoTune 2 Stage Window/TPS switch question

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 05:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DynoTune 2 Stage Window/TPS switch question

Hello all,

Im hoping someone can help me answer a question i have.

Im thinking about buying the DynoTune 2 Stage Window/TPS switch to activate my nitrous setup that will come on at WOT from 2800rpm to around 6000rpm.

Now my question is since the dynotune is 2 stage setup could i use the second stage to hook up a small led shift light that will come on about 6500rpm.

Is there a way it can be hooked up so the shiftlight would be active all the time even when i turn off the nitrous say via a switch.

Thanks
Old 01-25-2007, 06:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

it could activate a light, not necassarily a shift light, an LED would work...have to leave the switch on
Old 01-25-2007, 11:57 PM
Banned

I could tell you how to wire it, if you post (or pm) a pic of the Dynotune hook-up schematic.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:46 AM
Staging Lane

I found this if it helps any

so basicly i could have the shiftlight/led working all the time even when i dont want the nitrous to be on?
Old 01-26-2007, 09:25 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Your second stage out put needs to run a relay if you want it for a shift light application. The outputs are for driving relays. Just replace the light for the 2nd stage noids and all is good.
Ricky
Old 01-26-2007, 10:13 AM
Banned

NxRicky - Isn't the Dt like the rest of the window switches that just use a FET output to ground? (usually capable of 1-2 amps) According to their verbiage online, it doesn't sound any different. Secondly, I really don't see a reason for a relay if he's running an LED. Just need a 100k resistor to cut the voltage down. Maybe you could clarify 'why' you suggested that.

Lak8 - There's one small problem with this setup. There is only ONE power to the controller. Therefore, your controller would have to be ON in order for the LED on the second stage to work. I'm going to put your schematic together with another switch to cut off the N2o. Not sure if you want to go through all that.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Todd157k
NxRicky - Isn't the Dt like the rest of the window switches that just use a FET output to ground? (usually capable of 1-2 amps) According to their verbiage online, it doesn't sound any different. Secondly, I really don't see a reason for a relay if he's running an LED. Just need a 100k resistor to cut the voltage down. Maybe you could clarify 'why' you suggested that.

Lak8 - There's one small problem with this setup. There is only ONE power to the controller. Therefore, your controller would have to be ON in order for the LED on the second stage to work. I'm going to put your schematic together with another switch to cut off the N2o. Not sure if you want to go through all that.
LED no problem, I was refering to a light, the draw could go over the capacity of the controll box. One of those Autometer jobies. 1amp is the spec on that output wire on that WS..
Old 01-26-2007, 11:00 AM
Banned

That's what I thought you might have meant.. after I posted.
Anyway, here's a diagram for you. The Arming Switch 2 is a redundant swtich however I don't like the idea of the N2o solenoid being "hot". Arming sw. 1 is mandatory. With the two switches, you can have N/A WOT and no N2o.
With this setup, you would adjust your "ON" rpm at your shift point you want the LED to turn on. Your "OFF" point would be above that. Also, you can vary the intensity of the LED by the resistor. Higher resistance value will make the LED dimmer. If you make it too bright, it will blow. They're good for 3v-5v.

Old 01-26-2007, 12:15 PM
Staging Lane

thank you so much Todd157k and also Ricky, i just recently joined this forum not to long ago, but i can already tell its a great place with nice people that are helpful.

Todd157k that is kinda what i had in my mind that would need to be done. So basicly the unit is on all the time, but your just opening the curcuit via a switch to the nitrous side so nothing will happen.

I have a few more questions:

- I understand that i would need to set the rpms for the led so it turns on when i hit redline but would it only turn on only when im at WOT and hitting my set redline point or would it be able to turn on without WOT. (im hoping to have it so its just rpm timed and not rpm and wot, basicly want it like a normal shiftlight)

- Basicly like this

Frist stage for my nitrous so it turns on at only wot and between 3000rpm-6000rpm (will be turned on via switch).
Second stage to only turn the led on at above 6300rpm with no wot needed. (on all the time when ign is on or also controled by switch)
Old 01-26-2007, 01:47 PM
Banned

I'm pretty sure the tps would kill the LED if not at WOT. NXRicky might know if you can get around that one. These controllers usually work as an "and" circuit. ie: WOT and RPM and ACTIVATION = on
Old 01-26-2007, 01:56 PM
Staging Lane

yea thats kinda what i was thinking as well, but i guess im always wot when hitting redline anyways so its might not be that bad.

nxricky feel free to chime in if you know for sure

thanks
Old 01-26-2007, 04:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

oh yeah forgot about that
Old 01-26-2007, 04:31 PM

There will be No ground output until you get to full throttle. and hit that set point.

Ricky

Quick Reply: DynoTune 2 Stage Window/TPS switch question