Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to buy Nitrous?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 05:40 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Where to buy Nitrous?

I'm starting to use nitrous alot more now so I want to start filling it myself. I'm having trouble finding a local air/gas company to sell me a tank becasue its not for medical use. Any suggestions, I'm located in MD.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:46 AM
8 Second Club

Anybody?
Old 05-30-2007, 08:54 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Welding/Metal Working supply store??

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 05-30-2007, 09:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Welding shops can hook ya up. Here ya go Welding shops near u
Old 05-30-2007, 04:21 PM
8 Second Club

thanks guys
Old 05-30-2007, 04:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brad8266
Welding shops can hook ya up. Here ya go Welding shops near u
Nice find. Thanks!
Old 05-30-2007, 05:45 PM
Teching In

Talking getting nitrous

that used to be a real probelm years back,but today the nitrous for racing is somewhat different than pure nitrous used in medical industry. it's supposed to have 1% sulphur dioxide in it so it can't be breathed and get silly or killed. has anybody or everybody heard of this?............RON
Old 05-30-2007, 07:43 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by ron williams
that used to be a real probelm years back,but today the nitrous for racing is somewhat different than pure nitrous used in medical industry. it's supposed to have 1% sulphur dioxide in it so it can't be breathed and get silly or killed. has anybody or everybody heard of this?............RON
Thats true, I found a place that might sell it to me. They have to come and take a survey of where I'm storing it to make sure its safe and all first. I hope they dont have a problem with me keeping the tanks in my shed.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:22 AM
Teching In

Talking getting nitrous

i see you live in ellicott city. is that near baltmore? ever heard of or raced M.I.R or CECIL COUNTY raceway in ELKTON? how about CAPATOL in washington. just asking,because i used to race at cecil on sunday when i lived in boothwyn pa................RON
Old 05-31-2007, 08:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1SpeedAddict
Thats true, I found a place that might sell it to me. They have to come and take a survey of where I'm storing it to make sure its safe and all first. I hope they dont have a problem with me keeping the tanks in my shed.

As my avatar suggests, I am a dentist and we use nitrous all the time. Insofar as the differences, to my knowledge the SO2 in the automotive nitrous is to make it so that you won't WANT to breathe it in, otherwise I think it's the same. Breathing in straight nitrous is not good anyway, I never administer more than a 50-50 mix of Nitrous and oxygen anyways. Medical/dental units have a warning device that will make it impossible to administer more than a 60-40 mix, unless it's really old equipment. Inhaling straight nitrous displaces too much oxygen from the hemoblobin molecules and will asphyxiate you.

As for storage, I do know that it needs to be chained to a wall. I went out and got some cheap chain like you use to hang a kids' swing and lashed the tanks to the wall. That should bring you up to "OK" with the powers that be. --At least it does here in Michigan....

Brian.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:02 AM
Teching In

Talking nitrous

yes it should be chained to a wall or something solid. a standing bottle that is. it could tip over and break the valve threads [weakest point] it would take off like a rocket,with the pressure in the tank. i worked in the welding industry for years and the same applies to oxygen...acetlene...argon...helium..tanks. OSHA requirement or, fine................RON
Old 05-31-2007, 11:24 AM
6 & 8 Second Club

I actually just called my welding gas guy, where I have my argon acct. and they said no way. I called 3 other welding supply houses and they all said no. Licensed medical use only. Good luck.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Andrew, I can get you the larger bottles. Might even have an extra NX nitrous pump station you need to push it.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:37 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by GrannySShifting
Andrew, I can get you the larger bottles. Might even have an extra NX nitrous pump station you need to push it.
If you were reffering to me its Shawn by the way, close but no cigar. If the deal with this one company falls through I might be giving you a call.

Ron, I do race at capitol frequently and thanks for the advice. I do plan on chaining them to the wall in my shed.

Dr. Teeth, thanks for the info, I actually got a lecture very simmilar to what you said last time I went to the dentist wearing a nitrous outlet t-shirt. I have a good amount of experience dealing with high pressure tanks working at my familys paintball field. We use 5,000psi compressed air tanks up there. I also work alot with freon, nitrogen, and co2.

Thanks for the info everyone.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:31 PM
Staging Lane

there is a speed shop off of rt 28 in northern va that does it... near sterling. FCCT used to do it but they closed H&H auto also does it, thats a viper shop in manassas va. i cant wait till i get some again... i miss my nx cobra... actually just the nx