Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno today at HiTech Motorsport!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 06:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Install pics added! Dyno today at HiTech Motorsport!

Well the day I've been waiting for is finally here! I'm having my Dave's dual stage plate system Dyno'd for all the obvious reasons on my 2003 LS6 Z06. My goal today is to safely spray to 500+ RWHP.

I've got an 860 bottle heater/bracket with auto shut off, Dave's dual stage 78mm plate, NX Bottle opener, FPSS, Trick dual stage window switch w/ integrated TPS sensor, (4) Nitrous outlet noids, a make shift switch panel, TR6 plugs, K&N CAI and a bunch of little do-dads.

Wish me luck! Results to follow later!
Ms Eliz

Last edited by Ms Eliz; 07-14-2007 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Install pics added
Old 07-05-2007, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

Good Luck Eliz! Looks like you got the best of everything

Also your gonna beat me to it LOL. I am getting H/C end of the month and then going to setup the existing two stage to 75/75 for hopefully 550 @ wheels, my project time is going on two years .

Post up the dyno (if you need it hosted email it to me).

Beer

Last edited by Beer99C5; 07-05-2007 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That Z06/LS6 can easily take 500rwhp, it's the torque we have to worry about, but dual staging will help mucho. My buddy just dynoed his stockblock '03 Z06/LS6 at 665rwhp and 5xxrwtq. My LS6 went to 665rwtq before breaking a ring land. Good luck, and yes we wish to see the results of the mighty LS6.
Robert
Old 07-06-2007, 08:09 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for checking in on me Beer and Robert, I appreciate your thoughts!

Wow, what a day yesterday was! Truely an emotional rollercoaster. I paced back and forth just like I imagine a father would waiting for a baby to be born. The full gamit of stress, joy then worry then second doubts.... wondering if I was going to have a healthy baby or not. Watching the doctor do his thing and not really knowing what the issues were, and there were issues. I could tell the way my tuners were consulting each other and rapidly entering and leaving the delivery room. Updates came on occassion, the passers by giving me a pat on the back laughing saying everything would turn out right. You get the picture...I was a total pain in the ***! LOL!

Anyway, It took about 2.5 hours and 15 Dyno pulls to get the NA tune dialed in. Apparently some kind of 20% fuel compensation issue was occuring that they said was way out of acceptable parameters. They searched for vacumn leaks but couldn't find any...this was a very time consuming endevor, this is the most stressful time, I was so worried with thinking we'd never get to the N20. Finally when Casey (my tuner) asked the wizard Brian about the issue, Brian said change the injector size in the software and that should do the trick. It worked! Finally the AFR was where Casey wanted it to be. 382RWHP/371RWT NA! My only mod is a K&N CAI.

Everyone in the shop says "I have a overachiever" when speaking about my NA dyno pulls.

Now on to the N20! I had installed Daves recommended 52/33 jets in stage one for a 100 shot, and Daves recommended 62/38 jets in stage two for a 150 shot. NO I WASN'T going to spray both at the same time LOL! I decided I'd like to have two options and run the stages as just different size shots rather than using it as a staged system. This way I could pick and chose the amount I wanted during a specefic situation. And I always have the option of changing at the track. I have 1st locked out and have been hooking pretty well in 2nd during this hot weather recently on the street.

First N20 pull, BIG AND LOTS OF SPARKS FLYING OFF THE RIGHT COIL BANK! I had used the valve cover/coil mount bolt as a ground. We fixed that in short order by changing the ground wire location, but still it had been a good run and met my 505RWHP goal on the nose! We started a 150 pull but went way lean, apparently I have a switch or wire issue because my system didn't deliver. We abandoned stage two. We discussed changing jets in the first stage so we could try the larger shot, but most folks at Hi Tech feel stuff starts breaking with anymore than the 505 I already hit. So, we wrapped up the MsEliz Dyno Day!

After thoughts...
I wish I would have had Casey adjust the AFR on the N20, it was 10/1 at 900 lbs in the bottle. He said it would probably lean out if I ran a higher bottle pressure. I had my heater on for a hour last night out playing in the street and never got above 950lbs. in the bottle. When I hit the N20 I'm getting a big puff of black behind me too. Fouled plugs in my future?

I'm going to try to attach a image here of the runs...I'll also e-mail to Beer in case I don't get it posted correctly.

Please share your thoughts!
Ms Eliz
Old 07-06-2007, 09:17 AM
Ray@Nitrous Outlet

Congrats on joining the 500hp club......on the bottle pressure what heater do you have...it might need the pressure switch adjusted.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

The black smoke is normal for the Z06, as we have an oil in the intake issue which likes to be purged out when spraying, no worry it's normal. You may want to add a catch can to minimize this; however, it won't eliminate this issue all together.

What was your torque, to me, more important than HP when considering spraying and limits, and at what rpm did it peak (the tq)?

Yes, increasing the bottle pressure can lean it out a tad.

Over achiever is correcta mundo, as the average rwhp for the C5 Z06 is @ 350. You have a beast for sure. i would love to take your car to a track and work on the quickest Z06 times. The stock cai/dr in my sig holds #7 nation wide. Check out the Z06 fast list over at corevetteforum, i maintain this list and hope to be adding you soon. Good luck and keep us udated on your venture.
Robert
Old 07-06-2007, 09:58 PM
10 Second Club

grats bro. very respectable.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by usd2sing
grats bro. very respectable.
LOL
its sis not Bro

Here is her dyno

I think the filename was to long and the ext was wrong, shortened the name and changed the .bmp to .jpg and it worked.

Made huge progress today with my car, my wife dropped the heads off at the machine shop

Cam selection to follow da flow #'s.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well you certainly have your torque in check, seems a little low. However, one thing I see is the a/f, you state 10.1:1. Usually the dyno can only read as low as 10.1:1, so my contention is, your much richer than that. I have personaly set-up dave's plate at the dyno and seen the same thing. Your tuner should re do you for free, and get it right this time. Your numbers and curves will also improve, and have seen this also with the plate.
Robert
Old 07-07-2007, 03:38 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ms Eliz

After thoughts...
I wish I would have had Casey adjust the AFR on the N20, it was 10/1 at 900 lbs in the bottle. He said it would probably lean out if I ran a higher bottle pressure. I had my heater on for a hour last night out playing in the street and never got above 950lbs. in the bottle. When I hit the N20 I'm getting a big puff of black behind me too. Fouled plugs in my future?

Please share your thoughts!
Ms Eliz

I know how ya feel! My first dyno test session (two years ago) I was let down with the dry with the injectors not being up to anything over a 50 shot, solved that with 42's and then did some more mods, added the racetronics and was going for the 500 on the dyno and turned out the pump could not hang NA...and that was a show stopper a couple months ago. Hoping all my problems are cured end of the month, and the third time is a charm.

Trouble shoot your second stage, call the boys of Nitrous Outlet and get some smaller jetting for the fuel side. Next time on the dyno change the jetting to increase your AFR...$15 for jets beats $300 for a tune, one of the advantages of a wet kit is easy tuning.

We found two jet sizes smaller than Dave recommend to work well on my Stock LS1. Dave's recommended jetting favors rich for safety.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Beer99C5
I know how ya feel! My first dyno test session (two years ago) I was let down with the dry with the injectors not being up to anything over a 50 shot, solved that with 42's and then did some more mods, added the racetronics and was going for the 500 on the dyno and turned out the pump could not hang NA...and that was a show stopper a couple months ago. Hoping all my problems are cured end of the month, and the third time is a charm.

Trouble shoot your second stage, call the boys of Nitrous Outlet and get some smaller jetting for the fuel side. Next time on the dyno change the jetting to increase your AFR...$15 for jets beats $300 for a tune, one of the advantages of a wet kit is easy tuning.

We found two jet sizes smaller than Dave recommend to work well on my Stock LS1. Dave's recommended jetting favors rich for safety.
He Beer, what I do, which saves time and cost, is drill out my own jets. I just bought a set of numbered drill bits from Harbor freight and converted numbered sizes to decimal. Works great and then you have what ever jet you need when ever, given you have a few extras lying around.
Robert
Old 07-07-2007, 09:02 AM
Staging Lane

Wow! Thanks to all who responded! And a SPECIAL THANKS to Beer for posting the graphs for me!

I'm still working out the kinks on stage two. It appears I may have a bad (weak) seloniod because the same wire is operating the stage two N20 noid and it (N20) is functioning during the Dyno runs and on the street, I'm just going silly lean on stage two like there is no fuel coming though the fuel selonoid. I'm about to test directly at the fuel noid adding direct current and letting it squirt into a bottle to make sure its opening and passing fuel. And just so I don't confuse anyone. My stage two is actually a different size shot not actually a stage. I have the 100 shot running as stage 1. Flip that switch off and turn on the switch for stage two to run my 150 shot if I need to use it to beat an unruly Ford or Chrysler product...LOL!

Originally posted by Ray@Nitrous Outlet:
Congrats on joining the 500hp club......on the bottle pressure what heater do you have...it might need the pressure switch adjusted.
Thanks Ray! My N20 bottle heater auto switch seems to be stuck in the closed position. It's a 860 system from you guys. No continuity across the switch when pressurized and the set screw adjusted for the maximum pressure. (tightened)

Originally posted by Robert56:
Well you certainly have your torque in check, seems a little low. However, one thing I see is the a/f, you state 10.1:1. Usually the dyno can only read as low as 10.1:1, so my contention is, your much richer than that. I have personaly set-up dave's plate at the dyno and seen the same thing. Your tuner should re do you for free, and get it right this time. Your numbers and curves will also improve, and have seen this also with the plate.
Robert, Great minds think alike...after a day of pondering the AFR at 10/1 it seems WAY too rich to me also, especially since when I look at the graph in an expanded view it takes an absolute nose dive at the window activation RPM. I'm probably closer to 8/1 or so. I'll talk to the guys at Hi Tech about a quick adjustment redo and see what they say. I think Casey probably should have stepped in as the expert and at least brought it above 10/1 to verify I'm not at 8/1 or worse. Casey, Bart, Chris, and Brian have been absolutely awesome to deal woth so far. They have a very cool HotRod Sales shop too, Tom runs it. Check out their dyno cams here: http://hitechmotorsport.com/ you can watch all the action from the web and see some cool cars for sale also.

As a second option, Beer I like the idea of swapping to smaller fuel jet sizes as well. Would I just need to run a wide band during a few runs to verify my new AFR or do you think I need to have it on the dyno?

I'll let you guys know what happens with stage 2, the AFR and any new numbers!

XOXO to all!
Ms Eliz

Yes, sis not bro...haha thanks Beer!
Old 07-07-2007, 05:10 PM
TECH Addict

As a second option, Beer I like the idea of swapping to smaller fuel jet sizes as well. Would I just need to run a wide band during a few runs to verify my new AFR or do you think I need to have it on the dyno?

I'll let you guys know what happens with stage 2, the AFR and any new numbers!

XOXO to all!
Ms Eliz

Yes, sis not bro...haha thanks Beer!
You can use a Wideband if you got one. I use a LC-1 and Robert uses a LM-1. I have not sprayed 100 Dry on the dyno yet (was lean on 26# w/ 75 shot), but after the Injector change I jetted up and logged (EFI Live) street shots of the 100 Dry and was in the 11's AFR wise.

Eliz I would get a 34 and 36 fuel jet from Dave as well for bringing up the AFR on the 150 shot and perhaps a couple 26 and 24 if you intend to break up the shot to a 75/75.

Robert pretty thrifty drilling them out.

Vinny has a jet kit he brings with the dyno so it was really convient to swap jets at the dyno for tuning. Not sure if Redline has a jet kit or not, but I bought a bunch of jets for the combinations I may run so I am good shape for my session end of month.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:54 PM
TECH Addict

And just so I don't confuse anyone. My stage two is actually a different size shot not actually a stage. I have the 100 shot running as stage 1. Flip that switch off and turn on the switch for stage two to run my 150 shot if I need to use it to beat an unruly Ford or Chrysler product...LOL!
So you what text on your panel?

Stage one to read "Ricer Humiliation" and stage to to read "Ford/Mopar Humiliation"

Or perhaps "Humble Em" Stage, "Embarass Em" Stage.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:20 AM
Staging Lane

Quick update, got the bottle heater working by cycling the set screw in the pressure switch in and out a few times.

Good luck with the heads Beer! I'm going back out to the garage to work on stage two. I may remove the fuel noid in question and tinker with it a bit, hopefully I can get it working right.

Liz
Old 07-08-2007, 07:23 PM
TECH Addict

Quick update, got the bottle heater working by cycling the set screw in the pressure switch in and out a few times.

Good luck with the heads Beer! I'm going back out to the garage to work on stage two. I may remove the fuel noid in question and tinker with it a bit, hopefully I can get it working right.

Liz
Should have the info on the heads Tuesday (this will give me about ten days to get the cam selected and to the shop for install). Got them from a shipmate (Jamnutz) here on the rig, he was building up his Formula, and the heads were new in the box when Katrina hit. He has since gone turbo Buick and sold me the heads for $400. They are from FFHP (now defunct), but purchased when they were up to speed and building a following, LS1 Castings ported by Patriot. REV Springs (good to .650 Lift, Rev Valves 2.02 on the Intake, Tit retainers). They were flooded in Katrina, and the Machine shop will let me know if I made out or not. They are suppose to flow to 304. The shop is disassembling inspecting/cleaning and then flowing them. Once I have the flow numbers and confirm the heads are as described, I get to pick out the cam with the installer (Redline Motorsports)

Shoot me an email w pics of your install I will host them as well if ya like (actually probably revive an old vette install thread Robert started a long time ago with your pics...)
Old 07-08-2007, 10:00 PM
Staging Lane

Ms. Eliz, It looked like you were satisfied with the customer service at HiTech motorsports. I live over here in west st paul and was considering them for a tune. I was wondering what there prices are like and which employee you would recommend I talk to first. I have a 2002 trans am with some bolt ons and a 100 wet kit and the vehicle is screaming for a tune.

Congrats on the hp numbers as well, its always nice putting down numbers that you expect.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:59 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Beer99C5

Shoot me an email w pics of your install I will host them as well if ya like (actually probably revive an old vette install thread Robert started a long time ago with your pics...)
Ok, I'm going to take some shots this evening. I'll e-mail them to you. I was reading about your cam selection in another thread. Did you get your flow numbers yet?

Liz
Old 07-10-2007, 07:07 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bird2002
Ms. Eliz, It looked like you were satisfied with the customer service at HiTech motorsports. I live over here in west st paul and was considering them for a tune. I was wondering what there prices are like and which employee you would recommend I talk to first. I have a 2002 trans am with some bolt ons and a 100 wet kit and the vehicle is screaming for a tune.

Congrats on the hp numbers as well, its always nice putting down numbers that you expect.
Hi Bird!
Yes, I highly recommend Hi Tech, they are a bit spendy but I think you get what you pay for and they really seem like stand up fella's. I recommend a cruise over there to see their shop, it's truely impressive and then talk to Bart about a tune...he'll give you a tour too. I went for the total tune at $550.00. They have some cool cars to look at in the hotrod sales shop too. Be sure and check them out.
Good luck!
Liz
Old 07-10-2007, 10:53 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds good, cant wait to get over there. Good luck with your set up, im excited to see some more numbers.

Quick Reply: Dyno today at HiTech Motorsport!