39.44%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

timing tuner vs. iat mod vs. tune it out

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 02:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BayAreaSS
I want to do the Iat mod this weekend. I think i understand how it is suppose to be wired up but can anyone get me a picture of how it is suppose to be wired?

I want to get some power back. Right now i am running on my nitrous tune and i lost 20hp n/a
Schematics are in my web site. You can replace to fixed resistor with a variable resistance potentiometer. That way you can dial into any area of your look up table. why is that a good option? Just like the Interface can do, you will be able to dial in different pulls for different conditions IE: changed hit size, or dropping a stage or a cool or hot day. You can see some screen shots of this trick on my car using the Interface, in the intro thread. That way you could see exactly what I am talking about on having multiple timing curves. The Interface works well for pulling timing in the advance mode, as well as the standard mode. I have only heard of one person claiming some kind of heat soak problem, which before he said that it was fixed, and many thousands have been sold, but don't want to get into that argument again. Anyway, I have tried all of the different timing pull methods, except for the EFI Live mode, and IMO the Interface is by far the easiest to master. If your dry, the timing pull write up in my web works well and is free as long as you have a tuner program and requires no additional wiring or parts. Many ways to skin the cat these days. I have a write up on how to make a Potentiometer box for things you want to do as well as for use with WS controllers, yes, you can also dial in exactly your on/off rpm points with a pot also, but that's another story. good luck and let me know if I can help some how.
Robert
Old 08-24-2008, 12:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is what I will install on mine next week. I used it on my Hemi truck before & it worked great. I will wire it up next week & use my Dash Hawk to see how much it pulls for each mark 1-9 it also has a toggle to go back to stock or what is dialed in. I paid about $40.00 on the internet for it a few years ago. I bought a timing Twister to use but it was for a 58 tooth & I have a 24 tooth. It wires in line on IAT wire to change resistance to tell computer it colder out in warm weather when heat soak pulls timing & you have to chase it with a tune. Just flip the switch to say its 20* out for a flat timing number after you adjust sweet spot.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i know this is gonna sound retarded but when you wire up the iat tricker, what do you use to house the resistor or is it just kinda laying in the open. electronics arent my thing
Old 08-24-2008, 02:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Robert56
Schematics are in my web site. You can replace to fixed resistor with a variable resistance potentiometer. That way you can dial into any area of your look up table. why is that a good option? Just like the Interface can do, you will be able to dial in different pulls for different conditions IE: changed hit size, or dropping a stage or a cool or hot day. You can see some screen shots of this trick on my car using the Interface, in the intro thread. That way you could see exactly what I am talking about on having multiple timing curves. The Interface works well for pulling timing in the advance mode, as well as the standard mode. I have only heard of one person claiming some kind of heat soak problem, which before he said that it was fixed, and many thousands have been sold, but don't want to get into that argument again. Anyway, I have tried all of the different timing pull methods, except for the EFI Live mode, and IMO the Interface is by far the easiest to master. If your dry, the timing pull write up in my web works well and is free as long as you have a tuner program and requires no additional wiring or parts. Many ways to skin the cat these days. I have a write up on how to make a Potentiometer box for things you want to do as well as for use with WS controllers, yes, you can also dial in exactly your on/off rpm points with a pot also, but that's another story. good luck and let me know if I can help some how.
Robert
Robert,

I was just on your site and i am thinking about using the first wiring diagram for the timing tricker. It says to use a 750ohm resistor to pull 3*. I have already talked to my tuner and he said after i wire this up i can have him alter the tune to pull more timing because i need to retard 6*.

I want to run a separate toggle switch that i have to turn on before i spray. I would flip this swtich and then arm my system. Does all of this sound ok?
Old 08-24-2008, 03:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm
i know this is gonna sound retarded but when you wire up the iat tricker, what do you use to house the resistor or is it just kinda laying in the open. electronics arent my thing
i would just solder wires to the resistor then heat shrink it..
Old 09-08-2008, 12:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Robert,

I was just on your site and i am thinking about using the first wiring diagram for the timing tricker. It says to use a 750ohm resistor to pull 3*. I have already talked to my tuner and he said after i wire this up i can have him alter the tune to pull more timing because i need to retard 6*.

I want to run a separate toggle switch that i have to turn on before i spray. I would flip this swtich and then arm my system. Does all of this sound ok?
Or you could have it activate automatically with a relay that is activated when the spray is activated. I know i said activated way too many times but think i got the point across. this way you won't have another sw to worry about and forget, unless you want it that way.
robert
Old 09-08-2008, 01:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Or you could have it activate automatically with a relay that is activated when the spray is activated. I know i said activated way too many times but think i got the point across. this way you won't have another sw to worry about and forget, unless you want it that way.
robert
Yea i thought about wiring it in with my arming switch but everything is working good so i dont want to touch it LOL. I don't mind having one extra switch.

btw...Did you get my pm a few days ago about this subject?
Old 09-08-2008, 01:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yea i thought about wiring it in with my arming switch but everything is working good so i dont want to touch it LOL. I don't mind having one extra switch.

btw...Did you get my pm a few days ago about this subject?
yes, but haven't had a chance to get back to it.
Robert
Old 09-08-2008, 07:00 PM
TECH Veteran

yes, but haven't had a chance to get back to it.
Robert
Ok just making sure it sent.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:18 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow what an old thread... Another great way of pulling timming to market now is the Lingerfelter box. It also has a built in TPS activation and with there new version you can actually see the timming being pulled with tunning software. This or a tune would be my choice.
Dave
Old 09-19-2008, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm personally a fan of the IAT mod, You get the best of both worlds NA or on spray, Its cheap, easy and effective.
PS. Just test the IAT mod first with a scan tool before you spray of course.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:17 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SmaknaSS
I'm personally a fan of the IAT mod, You get the best of both worlds NA or on spray, Its cheap, easy and effective.
PS. Just test the IAT mod first with a scan tool before you spray of course.
I wired my IAT mod thru a relay and sperate switch.....Had my friend plug in his HP TUNERS and sure enough, as soon as i flip that switch 2 degrees of timing is automatically pulled....I called it the ghetto mod, but u know what?...lol..it worked!!
Old 09-20-2008, 05:52 PM
Staging Lane

Does anyone have the link for me to see what the timing tuner actually is?
Old 09-21-2008, 11:02 AM
Staging Lane

Come on guys i need a little help with this ...... just pm me or somthing
Old 10-06-2008, 07:14 PM
Banned

Tune it out vote.

Just switch tunes before you are going to run the nitrous. Invest the money you were going to spend on additional hardware nonsense into real value with a tuner suite like HPTuners Pro. or EfiLive for personal use.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:41 AM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

fyi i switched to efi live and just used cos5 so when my window switch activates it pulls the timing and when it turns back off it adds it back so it only pulls the timing from 3k-6800k.

Quick Reply: timing tuner vs. iat mod vs. tune it out