Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st step of 2 step on, nitous off, launch, nitrous on?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 07:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1st step of 2 step on, nitous off, launch, nitrous on?

I searched in the stickies but all of the images have been deleted?

I need to wire up the 2 step feature on my new MSD digital 6 to help me launch my car more consistantly (T56 trans). I plan to run the blue wire from the digital 6 to a clutch pedal mounted micro switch, as well as a shifter mounted micro switch (this will contact the shift handle only when the trans is in 1st). If either micro switch is open, the 1st step doesn't activate. This way the only activation for the 1 step (in my case the launch step) will be when the clutch is to the floor and trans is in 1st. I only plan to have 2 switches inline as I don't want to reactivate the 1st step every time I shift when the clutch goes to the floor as I will shift at an RPM higher than I launch. Now to the hard part. How do I now wire in a relay (or something else?) to deactivate the nitrous system when staging, since it will try and activate since the pedal will be to the floor closing the carb mounted WOT switch. That is where I get lost. I have searched on MSD's site with no real solution, and multiple board and online searches find no similar situations. Anyone that can help me?
Old 10-08-2007, 07:24 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you plan on spraying out of the hole? If not you could use a 1st gear lock out switch on the shifter.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:30 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
Do you plan on spraying out of the hole? If not you could use a 1st gear lock out switch on the shifter.
Yeah, I want the nitrous to activate as soon as I launch.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:13 PM
Restricted User

The easiest wayto pull that off is to smiply put a momentary button your you steering wheel...I mean all these switches every where is going to make things harder on yourself....I mean...you could always just run two switches...on to the shifter and one to the clutch....
Old 10-08-2007, 10:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Can you wire a relay that is controlled by the clutch switch only, that opens the signal from your WOT switch when the clutch is depressed? This way the nitrous will come on when releasing the clutch on launch consistantly. The only drawback is the Nitrous would be briefly turned off with each gear change if doing WOT shifts.

In my case I like the Nitrous disabled briefly during WOT shifts.

If you do not want the Nitrous disabled by the clutch switch after the launch there is a device that has outputs that turn ON/OFF based on MPH and connects to the 4000 pulse per mile signal from the PCM. The Normally On output could be connected to the Nitrous disable relay and after the Set MPH is reached it would disable the relay.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:55 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2-step wiring

I don't know if this helps but here is the link to the installation instructions for our 2-step. It has wiring diagrams for with and without nitrous:

http://www.lingenfelter.com/document...ctionsv1.1.pdf

Although the MSD works a little different, some of the wiring should still apply.

BTW - I will talk to the guy that does our web site to find out why these are the old instructions (the current version is 1.21). When he updates the instructions on the web site the above link will be wrong but they are not to hard to find on our web site and you could probably just change the 1.1 to a 1.21 in the above link and it will work again).

I hope this helps.

Originally Posted by onebad82z
I searched in the stickies but all of the images have been deleted?

I need to wire up the 2 step feature on my new MSD digital 6 to help me launch my car more consistantly (T56 trans). I plan to run the blue wire from the digital 6 to a clutch pedal mounted micro switch, as well as a shifter mounted micro switch (this will contact the shift handle only when the trans is in 1st). If either micro switch is open, the 1st step doesn't activate. This way the only activation for the 1 step (in my case the launch step) will be when the clutch is to the floor and trans is in 1st. I only plan to have 2 switches inline as I don't want to reactivate the 1st step every time I shift when the clutch goes to the floor as I will shift at an RPM higher than I launch. Now to the hard part. How do I now wire in a relay (or something else?) to deactivate the nitrous system when staging, since it will try and activate since the pedal will be to the floor closing the carb mounted WOT switch. That is where I get lost. I have searched on MSD's site with no real solution, and multiple board and online searches find no similar situations. Anyone that can help me?
Old 10-09-2007, 10:19 AM
Ray@Nitrous Outlet

this diagram is posted on the last page of the Wiring Sticky

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=137
Old 10-09-2007, 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

Used rays diagram and it works perfect.

Quick Reply: 1st step of 2 step on, nitous off, launch, nitrous on?