Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using HPtuners to control 2 stage. Please review Diagram

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 04:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Using HPtuners to control 2 stage. Please review Diagram

So the pro version of HP tuners has 2 analog out puts. You have to be running the scanning tool for them to work but since my 63 truck has the laptop running full time as it's my guage cluster, I figured I would use Hptuners to control my stages.

Bellow is my diagram using HP tuners cable to ground the firing relays.

Also is the code for HPtuners for the analog outs to work. Please let me know if you see anything odd there as well..

Enable Chanel 1:
[sens.20] > 35 and [sens.70] > 5,000 and [sens.90] >98 and [pid.4120] = 1

Disable Chanel 1:
[sens.90] < 97

Enable Channel 2:
[sens.20] > 70 and [sens.70] > 5,500 and [sens.90] >98 and [pid.4120] > 1

Disable Chanel 2:
[sens.90] < 97

Sens.20 = vehicle speed
Sens.70 = RPM
Sens.90 = TPS
pid.4120 = Trans Gear
aux.20121 = AFR
Old 12-12-2007, 08:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand the concept, and nice thinking. Is the S, G, C12, NO and NC your lugs on the relays? If you could transfer these abbreviations into the corresponding numbers that all relays have, then it would be easier to understand, and much quicker to decipher. I think your on to something here and am following you fine. looks at a glance to be pretty close, but I don't have the time to transfer letters to numbers to be sure. keep me updated on this, and maybe we can host it on my web site, with credit thrown your way? Maybe we could get Ricky to draw it up on his Cad program, though it cost 25 buckaroos.
Robert
Old 12-12-2007, 09:42 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks good to me. Not sure how much current the output (A1,A2) can handle but other than that, you're good to go.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:03 PM
On The Tree

You might try something like this. It saves you a relay. I quickly drew it up, so give it a close look. Also, make sure the HPtuners can drive the relays.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:05 AM

Since I drew this in pen, It'll be hard for me to update the letters for numbers (Plus I always forget what they are until I actually am wiring it)

C12 = Constant 12v = (30)
S = Switch side of coil = (86)
G = Ground side of coil = (85)
NO = Normally open = (87)
NC = Normally closed = (87a)

HPtuners says that their cable will hanle light grounds, and can be used fr relays. I would not try to put the soleniods through it, but the coil side of the relay is fine. They built those analog circuits for relays and led's.

DEE, I'm not worried about the 1 extra relay. and for some reason quickly glancing at your drawing, I'm not sure I grasp it. I think you are moving the WS into the FPSS and TPS circuit. I'm using a Harlan WS and was told never to put much current through it. He mentioned it is only good for grounding the coil side of a relay just like the HPtuners ground straps.

The other nice thing about this is if I want to use 1 stage, 2 stage or both hits at once, it's very easy to change. The only downer is I can only set the 2 stage, either 100/200 or 100/300 or 200/300
Old 12-13-2007, 08:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LIL SS
Since I drew this in pen, It'll be hard for me to update the letters for numbers (Plus I always forget what they are until I actually am wiring it)

C12 = Constant 12v = (30)
S = Switch side of coil = (86)
G = Ground side of coil = (85)
NO = Normally open = (87)
NC = Normally closed = (87a)

HPtuners says that their cable will hanle light grounds, and can be used fr relays. I would not try to put the soleniods through it, but the coil side of the relay is fine. They built those analog circuits for relays and led's.

DEE, I'm not worried about the 1 extra relay. and for some reason quickly glancing at your drawing, I'm not sure I grasp it. I think you are moving the WS into the FPSS and TPS circuit. I'm using a Harlan WS and was told never to put much current through it. He mentioned it is only good for grounding the coil side of a relay just like the HPtuners ground straps.

The other nice thing about this is if I want to use 1 stage, 2 stage or both hits at once, it's very easy to change. The only downer is I can only set the 2 stage, either 100/200 or 100/300 or 200/300
Yea, that's what I thought your letters meant, but just wanted to be sure. On the HPT being able to trigger the relays, it shouldn't be a problem, they only take a couple milla amps and we know how many milla amps it takes to equal one amp. On the multiple relays, well this could/can be an issue, as I had a problem using one relays ground to continue on and also activate a second relay, not sure what the issue was but it quit working.
Robert
Old 12-14-2007, 02:15 AM
10 Second Club

LIL SS, a bit off the subject, but how's your '73 coming along? Any more current pics than what's in your sig?
Old 12-15-2007, 02:34 PM

Robert,

Non of my relay grounds are continueing to a second relay. They are all going to ground. 2 going straight to ground, 2 going through HPtuners for ground and 1 going through the WS.

The second relay in line is the only one passing current through it consistantly with the normally closed side of the relay. Any time the purge button is depressed it switches the power to the NO side until you let off the button.

Camaro is finally out getting the tin work done