Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 Stages-Why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 10:14 AM
Ray@Nitrous Outlet

We can set your current system up to run both stages through the plate. You will move your jets into a custom machined "Y" and then run a single line to the plate. Each stage will feed one side of the "Y".
Doing this will save you money over the NX MAF ends and give you the same or better results.

I am running a single stage and a progressive on mine. I typically have full power within 1 sec. With a pulse frequency of 15 they will cycle less than 12-15 times each run...most runs were run with a .5-.7 second ramp time. I have had the progressive on the car for 2-3 years with a set of 5yr old NX solenoids. Last time they were inspected they were still in excellent condition. If you are going to use a progressive you need to make sure the solenoids are designed with them in mind.

A progressive is designed to be used for traction control not horsepower control. I see alot of people that want to jet their kit for 300HP, but set the progressive to 50%. They then think they are running a 150 shot, but they are running a 300 shot 50% of the time
Old 12-20-2007, 10:38 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Race cars use 3 stages for reason listed.
Street cars run 3 stages becuase they want to show off. LOL

And for 3 stages you only need 2 sets of solenoids.
EXP. 1st set 100 2nd set 200
Launch on stage 1, the Turning stage 2 on turns stage 1 off, then you have a button to run stage 1 back on.
Simple set up and does not cost a bunch.

Another thing is applied HP.
Your car will only 60ft SO fast so by applying more power then is need to that point is a waste and most of the time hurts parts.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ray@Nitrous Outlet
We can set your current system up to run both stages through the plate. You will move your jets into a custom machined "Y" and then run a single line to the plate. Each stage will feed one side of the "Y".
Doing this will save you money over the NX MAF ends and give you the same or better results.

I am running a single stage and a progressive on mine. I typically have full power within 1 sec. With a pulse frequency of 15 they will cycle less than 12-15 times each run...most runs were run with a .5-.7 second ramp time. I have had the progressive on the car for 2-3 years with a set of 5yr old NX solenoids. Last time they were inspected they were still in excellent condition. If you are going to use a progressive you need to make sure the solenoids are designed with them in mind.

A progressive is designed to be used for traction control not horsepower control. I see alot of people that want to jet their kit for 300HP, but set the progressive to 50%. They then think they are running a 150 shot, but they are running a 300 shot 50% of the time
Thank you, thank you, thank you Ray. Now, do you think with a nitrous built shortblock a 250shot is ok with the plate kit? Did I say, thank you?
Old 12-20-2007, 10:43 AM
11 Second Club

dude, a built nitrous motor would laugh at a 250 shot.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jessedale98
dude, a built nitrous motor would laugh at a 250 shot.
Through a plate? Like I said, no direct port. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 12-20-2007, 10:47 AM
11 Second Club

even through a plate.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for your help too Ricky. Looking for all the help I can get.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:59 AM
Ray@Nitrous Outlet

Originally Posted by Z-RATED94
Through a plate? Like I said, no direct port. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
The issue will not be the motor or the plate...the issue will be the LTx style manifold. The flow characteristics of that manifold limits distribution above 250hp. As long as you read the plugs and slowly work up to the total shot, you can run that size shot through the plate. Our plates are flow tested up to 400hp.

If you plan on going bigger than 2-250 I would highly suggest going direct port, as this will remove any distribution issues you might see. Or convert to a single plane manifold and go with a carb style plate or spray bars in the intake.

This is the route I am going....
Old 12-20-2007, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Ray, I think I'll sneak up on a 250 shot and see what happens. I'll keep in touch.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A ton of LT1 guys break spark plugs and pistons on shots that large through the TB. Too much nitrous gets pulled into some of the cylinders and too little into others. Do a search for it. Lots of broken #7 parts.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tireburnin
A ton of LT1 guys break spark plugs and pistons on shots that large through the TB. Too much nitrous gets pulled into some of the cylinders and too little into others. Do a search for it. Lots of broken #7 parts.
Even with using the plate system? I thought it was more likely using a nozzle. What can be done to help the problems of the #7 cyl? Colder plug then the rest? Ring gaps done differently? Higher octane fuel. I'm all ears.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:18 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MADMAN
I turn on the fogger anywhere from 4-8 hundreths out.

4-8 hundreths? thats basically one stage...did you meant tenths? because even thats basically one stage
Old 12-22-2007, 10:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ray, what if ya ramp your 300 up to come on over 10.8 sec and run a 10.3 ET, then your not appling the full 300 hit correct? Your statement on 50% of a 300 shot means your running 300shot 50% of the time. Can you clarify how this is working. Seems to me the pulse frequency will change so as to allow only 50% of the hit to actually reach the cylinder, am I missing something?
Robert
Old 12-22-2007, 10:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by NXRICKY
Race cars use 3 stages for reason listed.
Street cars run 3 stages becuase they want to show off. LOL

And for 3 stages you only need 2 sets of solenoids.
EXP. 1st set 100 2nd set 200
Launch on stage 1, the Turning stage 2 on turns stage 1 off, then you have a button to run stage 1 back on.
Simple set up and does not cost a bunch.

Another thing is applied HP.
Your car will only 60ft SO fast so by applying more power then is need to that point is a waste and most of the time hurts parts.
I don't really disagree with the base statement, however, I do think a 3 stage can work for a street car as it does for a race car. Like you said It's applied HP. I will blow my tires off if I add to much HP to soon. Lets take an example, my car, 170 outa the hole on 1st stage, 2nd stage, 150hp, comes on at a slightly higher rpm in 2nd gear and you run your ET. Now the next run we do the same thing except add a 3rd stage, 80hp, in the higher RPMs in 2nd gear and use it through out the run, this will be on a button, now will this run a faster ET and trap higher? (the reasons for the break up of hit, applying usable hp) Of course it will, with the trap speed taking most of the gain, with a slight increase in ET. So depending on your set-up, and many street/strip cars in this case, we can run faster and quicker because we can apply more usable HP, whereas, we can not utilize the full HP in the beginning of the run. What ya think? Of course showing off is also part of the equation, lol.
Robert

Edit: Oh yea, that's a trick way to run a 3 stage.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:59 PM
Ray@Nitrous Outlet

Originally Posted by Robert56
Ray, what if ya ramp your 300 up to come on over 10.8 sec and run a 10.3 ET, then your not appling the full 300 hit correct?
there is no need to progress for 10.8 seconds.

Your statement on 50% of a 300 shot means your running 300shot 50% of the time. Can you clarify how this is working. Seems to me the pulse frequency will change so as to allow only 50% of the hit to actually reach the cylinder, am I missing something?
Robert
A progressive set to 50% means the solenoids are open 50% of the time...75% is open 75% of the time. You cannot open a solenoid halfway, they are either open or closed. Its just like filipping the master arm swith on and off during a run.

I have been running a 150-200 progressively controled single stage. On a very well prepped track I can hit the whole thing out of the gate with no need to progress the hit. This is how I use the progressive controller.

If the car is dead hooking NA, first pass will be 100% activation. If the car spins on the hit, I will back the start % down according to how bad it spins. Lets assume slight wheel spin that quits soon after launch. Start % is set to 75% ramping to 100% over 1 sec. Now if the car is spinning on motor I will add a delay to the nitrous activation, say .5 Sec starting at 25% and ramping to 100% over 1 sec. If the car spins when the nitrous comes in I increase the delay or lower the start %, if it spins down track I increase the ramp time.

I have never had the ramp time set for longer the 2 sec. I usually am all in by the 60'. I do not see an issue with having the 300 shot at 100% by then either since I rarely have to progress the 200 more then .5-.7 sec, even on a marginal track. The sooner you can bring the nitrous in the faster you can make it to the finish line.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

there is no need to progress for 10.8 seconds.

A progressive set to 50% means the solenoids are open 50% of the time...75% is open 75% of the time. You cannot open a solenoid halfway, they are either open or closed. Its just like filipping the master arm swith on and off during a run.

I have been running a 150-200 progressively controled single stage. On a very well prepped track I can hit the whole thing out of the gate with no need to progress the hit. This is how I use the progressive controller.

If the car is dead hooking NA, first pass will be 100% activation. If the car spins on the hit, I will back the start % down according to how bad it spins. Lets assume slight wheel spin that quits soon after launch. Start % is set to 75% ramping to 100% over 1 sec. Now if the car is spinning on motor I will add a delay to the nitrous activation, say .5 Sec starting at 25% and ramping to 100% over 1 sec. If the car spins when the nitrous comes in I increase the delay or lower the start %, if it spins down track I increase the ramp time.

I have never had the ramp time set for longer the 2 sec. I usually am all in by the 60'. I do not see an issue with having the 300 shot at 100% by then either since I rarely have to progress the 200 more then .5-.7 sec, even on a marginal track. The sooner you can bring the nitrous in the faster you can make it to the finish line.
Sorry Ray, but it makes no sense what your saying. You make it sound like percent equals full hit, 75% out of the hole means I am still getting the full 300rwhp hit 75% of the time, what the hell would I run a progresser for, it's not going to help if I am still getting the massive torque spike which I am trying to avoid. It's just not adding up here, maybe this is why I hate the progressives. It's pulsing at a differnt rate, so as to not let all the nitrous in.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:38 PM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.

very well put....i use it for traction control, and transmission survival. this is what makes it easier on the trans!
Old 12-23-2007, 11:34 AM
Ray@Nitrous Outlet

Sorry Ray, but it makes no sense what your saying. You make it sound like percent equals full hit, 75% out of the hole means I am still getting the full 300rwhp hit 75% of the time, what the hell would I run a progresser for, it's not going to help if I am still getting the massive torque spike which I am trying to avoid. It's just not adding up here, maybe this is why I hate the progressives. It's pulsing at a differnt rate, so as to not let all the nitrous in.
Robert,
By pulsing the solenoids you will reduce the total power the car makes. But you are looking at the progressive as a HP controlling device. Pulsing the solenoids will reduce the total power you make, but it is not a direct relation between HP and the % you are setting the controller.

50% of a 300 shot is not a 150 shot..this is the point I am trying to make.

For your application stages work better. Because you are looking for HP control. Progressives are better for the guy that needs to control the nitrous for traction purposes.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Robert,
By pulsing the solenoids you will reduce the total power the car makes. But you are looking at the progressive as a HP controlling device. Pulsing the solenoids will reduce the total power you make, but it is not a direct relation between HP and the % you are setting the controller.

50% of a 300 shot is not a 150 shot..this is the point I am trying to make.

For your application stages work better. Because you are looking for HP control. Progressives are better for the guy that needs to control the nitrous for traction purposes.
Ok, I get the point, we are on the same page. That's a good point to be made, that 50% progressed on a 300hp shot is not 150hp. I'll bet with some testing and some simple math equations we could come up with a relative curve as a basis for intial setting of progresser. I still see it as a tq/hp controller even if used for launching only. It will certainly allow the noids to last much longer when not pulsing most of the entire run.

Anybody running a progressive for launching and then multi stages as run progresses?

Robert