Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to wire neatly and professionally

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 08:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All of my wires are practically invisible and that's how it should be.

On the interior I have 9 switches and two gauges not including the window swtch in the glove box. In the engine bay I have 5 relays, 6 solenoids, 2 FPSS's, 4 gauge senders, stand-alone and I'm probably forgetting something.

All of the wires come from the glovebox, custom panels in the ashtray and cubby hole replacement panel unseen through the same hole as the hood latch under the fender on top of the plastic wheel well out under the fuse boxes. Then the 5 relays are mounted along the fuse bozes. The wires from the relay are wire loomed. The hood latch is also ran over the plastic wheel well. The wires to activate the noids are ran back over the plastic wheel well out of a 1" hoel in the rear driver fender under the cowl and down through loom under the fuel injector wire loom and to the noids on the DP and to the head mounted noids.

I use spade connections on the relays, interior switch panels, and noids so everything can quickly be removed. Say if some ******* hits me and I need to take out the nitrous stuff before the claim guy comes.

My bottle heater and relays for that are hidden in the spare tire well.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:06 PM
TECH Addict

pics^^^
Old 02-04-2008, 08:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone know a good place to get an electronic kit with wires, heatshrink, connectors, etc. If i goto radio shack and get each thing individually, itll probably be over 100$.

I have the tools except a heat gun and crimper.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:55 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by pHEnomIC
Anyone know a good place to get an electronic kit with wires, heatshrink, connectors, etc. If i goto radio shack and get each thing individually, itll probably be over 100$.

I have the tools except a heat gun and crimper.
Check the links that I put in my post. You can get the weatherpack stuff from that guy and the other stuff you need from McMaster. I just bought Automotive wire from Napa and used the correct sizes for each component.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:09 PM
9 Second Club

Received 279 Likes on 106 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by myfast70
I used weatherpack connectors wherever possible and still soldered all of the crimped connections. I also put a Nylon sleeving (flame retardant) over all of my wires and nitrous lines with heat-shrink on the ends. I think it looks a lot neater and better than the standard convoluted tubing. I also purchased sealed relay's that are waterproof. I got the Nylon sleeve and heatshrink from McMaster Carr as they've got an awesome selection and good prices. The cheapest place I found for the weather pack stuff is a seller on Ebay called MJM National You probably won't find anyone else cheaper. I got the crimpers for the connectors at Napa before I know about this guy. You can see in the bottom pic in the lower left corner my two fuse holders for the entire system. One is for the heater and misc items and the other is for the solenoids. Here's a few pics of my install:

Nicely done!!!
Old 02-04-2008, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^^

I'm not a big fan of wire loom either, but I like the type that you used.

99 FRC
Old 02-04-2008, 09:27 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

When I wired my kit one thing I did is make sure you use different color wires for everything, and keep your wiring diagram handy. Solderign everything is a must IMO, I admit I did use a butt connector or 2 but before the interior goes back togeher, that stuff will be done right.

I don't personally like using the relay's to activate the kit, I used the relay to activate a big *** starter solenoid I got from napa, this way all the high power stuff is runnign right from the battery to the solenoids, and the big starter solenoid takes care of the switching. I know it seems like overkill, but I feel it's safer. The wiring for my particular setup is very simple, because there's no window switch or fuel pressure safety switch or any of that, with a 5400 converter and the nitrous engages off the transbrake button, there's really no way for the kit to ever come on at an unsafe rpm. I am using a WOT switch as well, so unless the kit's armed, transbrake isn't on and the WOT switch is on, kit no workie. I have loomed all the wires in the engine bay so it's cleanly wired, I'm not sure if I will leave the kit the way it is or move it around though, with all the changes that are going on there's about to be a TON more room in the engine bay that there wasn't so I may find myself doing a little rewiring this spring, mainly so I can get the kit on in a little more organized/simple matter. Plus the fuel system is changing as well (going to a 3 gallon cell mounted in front of the radiator with aftermarket rails and a pressure regulator, possibly a 2nd pump/2nd regulator for the nitrous, although I feel that's total overkill for a 100 to 150 shot thru the Nos plate kit I am running.

I didn't bother with the FPSS, alot of people would say that's really unsafe, but I know more people that have had inconsistant results with those that I don't feel it's really needed, I've put a racetronix pump in the tank with the hotwire kit, the tune's a little rich, jetting is a touch rich and to be honest, of the 4 passes I have made on the jug I haven't once had time to even look at what the pressure is, it's enough to watch the tach and pull 2nd when I want to LOL. Hell I went and bought the biggest brightest shift light autometer sells because the little pen size that came on my tach isn't bright enough to see during the day.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:11 PM
TECH Resident

Lots of great info in this thread.

I have leared it takes practice and learning from others.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:04 AM
TECH Junkie

to add my 2 cents..again

lay everything out before you cut one wire. I don't know how many countless times I've come up just short because when I tucked the wire away to hide it...it took more room that I had thought.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:26 AM
TECH Addict

Subscribing!!!!!

I used to always say I was going to take my time and wire up everything neat but I always got in a hurry. Well we just got a few more inches of snow so it looks like my car is going to be parked for the next couple weeks AGAIN!!!!

I plan on using nothing but heat shrink and soldering. Also, I just ordered a whole assortment of weather pac connectors so hopefully when it is all said and done it will look good.

Beer - I like your method of wiring up everything in series, but with a bottle heater on and engine start switch with the arming switch, will that pull too many amps with only a 25 amp fuse?? Or do you use a lot of relays???

Right now I have a relay for my nitrous kit but should I go ahead and run a relay for both my heaters and my purge too???
Old 02-05-2008, 04:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DopdBrd
Subscribing!!!!!

Beer - I like your method of wiring up everything in series, but with a bottle heater on and engine start switch with the arming switch, will that pull too many amps with only a 25 amp fuse?? Or do you use a lot of relays???

Think about how your going to use your accessories, your starting the car, nothing else is armed/on. The arming switch is a relay, the heater is a relay. The only items not on a relay on my system is the opener (not used with the system on), the LC-1 LED/Cal, and the Line Lock (not used with the system on). Have not blown the fuse yet.

LOL but I am a checklist kind of guy (ex Navy flew USN P-3C UII/II.5 Orion's as Tactical Coordinator).
Old 02-05-2008, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beer99C5
Think about how your going to use your accessories, your starting the car, nothing else is armed/on. The arming switch is a relay, the heater is a relay. The only items not on a relay on my system is the opener (not used with the system on), the LC-1 LED/Cal, and the Line Lock (not used with the system on). Have not blown the fuse yet.

LOL but I am a checklist kind of guy (ex Navy flew USN P-3C UII/II.5 Orion's as Tactical Coordinator).
Yep! Beer totally hooked me up with that switch panel!!!! In fact, it was the basis for my entire installation. Everything I wired up was based on the switch panel as a starting point. It really made it easy. If I had to do it over again, I would start with a Beer panel and go from there.

99 FRC
Old 02-05-2008, 09:11 PM
Launching!

what size wiring do you guys use for all your kits? I am going to be rewiring everything here shortly when I rip my engine out for a buildup. In the past I usually solder it all up and have used butt connectors as well. Going to make it a cleaner install this time around.

I have a two stage setup and currently have my dry stage wiring routed through wire loom that is also around the hood latch cable to make it all look stock and hidden.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:26 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I used 14 guage for all of it, probably heavier guage then really needed, but better too big then too small (that's what she said LOL)
Old 02-05-2008, 10:52 PM
Staging Lane

Here are some tips I got from someone on another forum, hope he doesn't mind me posting this....

a) draw a diagram that has all the components--PCM, gauges, nitrous, wideband etc.

b) draw each connection as a series of traces among the components

c) group the traces and draw connectors in place, ideally so you can completely remove one of the components without removing anything else

d) based on the diagram, buy 16ga and 22ga wires in several colors in case you need to extend connections

e) buy 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, and 9-pin Molex connectors and the appropriate crimp tool

f) get a labeler to help keep the connectors and wires straight (optional, but nice to have)

g) go after every crimp on and replace it with a solder/heat-shrink connection
Molex connectors are cheap and common, often times you crimp on and solder the pins to the wires before building the connector, so they are pretty secure.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome guys, great tips! Ill be sure to post some pics of my setup in the summer, I already got some great plans now. Of course it's gonna be pretty stealth
Old 02-06-2008, 12:13 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 97rs4life
what size wiring do you guys use for all your kits?
I used 14ga for all of the solenoids, 18ga for the control wires and I ran a 10ga wire for the heater. I ran a couple of extra wires in my bundles just in case I ever want to add or upgrade anything in the future.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:22 PM
Launching!

anyone else have any input or pics of wiring setups?
Old 02-14-2008, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bump! Some good info anybody elses??
Old 02-14-2008, 09:31 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by helicoil
Nicely done!!!
Thanks! I thought it came out decent for my first install.

Quick Reply: How to wire neatly and professionally