Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just a Taster Vic Jr DP Dry

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 07:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by firefighting1101
with all that work robert why not put hardlines aswell? although i must have to admit the SS lines look good
I don't like hard lines, it's just a phase. Most look crappy to me, though a few do stand out. If you look at cars from past, that's what they came from the factory with-Hard Lines. So, for many of us, the hard lines just look like old school stockish looking steel lines. Most are not running SS. If you look at my fuel part of the set-up, my 180* fittings are home made hard line SS polished. Wait till you see the new anodized black with silver fittings I have, and nobody out there is running these yet. the new look is the black anodized fitting and blk or other colored hose and the route i will be taking. if I did mine in hard there would be so much plumbing as to look tacky.
Robert
Old 04-08-2008, 11:22 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert56
Much better distribution compared to many/most wet DP kits that mount a protruding nozzle into the runner and attemp to spray towards the intake valve; whereas, the dry nozzle hits the intake perfectly. The wet nozzle is done at different spots in the runner depending on who does the intake, along with some other restrictions. The airflow dynamics are upset with this protrusion, not very Volumetric Efficiant compared to the non protruding dry nozzles.Robert
With all due respect and no offense, but do you REALLY think protrusion of a nozzle into the intake runner as in most wet systems is going to hurt performance that much?....I'd bet you never notice it, ever....
Old 04-09-2008, 12:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by FastBlackTA
With all due respect and no offense, but do you REALLY think protrusion of a nozzle into the intake runner as in most wet systems is going to hurt performance that much?....I'd bet you never notice it, ever....
Well here's how I see it. An internal combustion engine is just an air pump. We measure how good this air pump works in terms of volumetric efficiency. A stock motor is pretty low, like 60 to 80%, efficient, IIRC. Now when we get to performance motors we are trying to increase this efficiency, and some can get up wards of 9x%. So, the same question can be said about running headers on a sprayed motor, if your spray a stock motor it really has not much benefit. Now if your wanting to up the efficiency of a given shot, then the headers will pay off. So, there is a point that everything in the performance build that has a return to get that VE up. OK, to answer your question, probably not real noticeable, however, more efficient with out a protrusion, certainly and any hard core racer would eliminate it if they could. It can be removed on wet hit utilizing a straight shooter annular discharge nozzle in the correct location, but most just throw a cheap nozzle designed for front mount into their wet DP kits. My statement was more for information than for a measurable difference. Hope this made a little sense.
Robert
Old 04-09-2008, 07:28 PM
Launching!

intake looks good,robert56...i am musing the idea of a 4 barrel throttle body on the victor jr with a dry spray bar myself...
as soon as that confounded 1mb cos#5 is available...
Old 04-09-2008, 08:11 PM
FormerVendor

it will definitely effect performance, any distiburance in airflow will effect efficiency. If you think about it this way, why does anyone port heads and intake. Other then increasing volume it smooths out the path the air takes causing less resistance. same rule applies with a nozzle tapped into an intake The idea is ALWAYS to smooth out the incoming air
Old 04-09-2008, 09:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by brokenfly
intake looks good,robert56...i am musing the idea of a 4 barrel throttle body on the victor jr with a dry spray bar myself...
as soon as that confounded 1mb cos#5 is available...
Very cool, I have thought about that myself, though there are less options for the Vettes, unless your willing to go cable throttle. one thing to point out, trying to run a stock low hood cause one to run a very restricted elbow. for my set-up, I am cutting out the hood and having a custom high turn free flowing elbow made, as the one i have works with some modifications ( was for F-body) but is the choke point for my motor. i will be upping the front mount TB size though, a couple new options for that are out.
Robert
Old 04-09-2008, 09:29 PM
Launching!

i was thinking no elbow...just right on top...old style air cleaner...

just imagination and the edlebrock catalog...
Old 04-09-2008, 09:59 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mike@HSW
it will definitely effect performance, any distiburance in airflow will effect efficiency. If you think about it this way, why does anyone port heads and intake. Other then increasing volume it smooths out the path the air takes causing less resistance. same rule applies with a nozzle tapped into an intake The idea is ALWAYS to smooth out the incoming air
Sure, we all understand that.

I highly doubt that you will see much of a difference. You are making your own incoming air charge through the nitrous nozzle - the engine isn't really going to care about the small effects of a nozzle in the runner.

I ran a NOS nozzle system (this system had no airflow disturbance as the nozzle is located under the injector) back to back with a normal wet direct port system with a plumbed intake (same Ls6 intake), and noticed NO difference N/A on the dyno and NO difference on the juice with the same nitrous jet size. The only benefit to the standard plumbed intake system was that I could jet it higher due to the reduced nitrous flow on the nozzle system. The systems TRAPPED THE SAME MPH with the same nitrous jets.

I'd like to see some real 1/4 mile mph numbers with this wet vs. dry crap. I'd even doubt that most of the people arguing this point have actually compared both in a controlled environment or on the any track for that matter.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think your missing the point on all fronts. From your argument blue printing and balancing a motor is not needed cause you wont see a difference because you just jet up. It's the combined sum of all mods. if you don't care, then that's fine, but the fact remains in the performance world that every, esp in the pro racing, advantage you can have will help in the overall hp department. You won't find any pros running a NOZZLE kit either. The wet vs dry and which will produce more power, well you've missed the boat there also. If you inject X amount of nitrous, wet or dry and have the same a/f timing and the such, you will have the same peak power and torque, basic physics. The real benefits of the dry hit are the safety and ease of use, along with the developing DP dry that seems to have an edge in all departments. I will be doing some testing in the near future and my dollar says the DP Dry will have a better performance curve IE: better Volumetric efficiency, closer EGTs and a/f per cylinder, and will this produce more power/torque, we think so. Now will non protruding nozzles help, sure will. Check what the big time racers do and are doing and have been doing, not your average street guy like us, and you will surely see all the small things can add up to one big thing. By the way, comparing two non efficient systems really proves nothing.

Robert
Sure, we all understand that.

I highly doubt that you will see much of a difference. You are making your own incoming air charge through the nitrous nozzle - the engine isn't really going to care about the small effects of a nozzle in the runner.

I ran a NOS nozzle system (this system had no airflow disturbance as the nozzle is located under the injector) back to back with a normal wet direct port system with a plumbed intake (same Ls6 intake), and noticed NO difference N/A on the dyno and NO difference on the juice with the same nitrous jet size. The only benefit to the standard plumbed intake system was that I could jet it higher due to the reduced nitrous flow on the nozzle system. The systems TRAPPED THE SAME MPH with the same nitrous jets.

I'd like to see some real 1/4 mile mph numbers with this wet vs. dry crap. I'd even doubt that most of the people arguing this point have actually compared both in a controlled environment or on the any track for that matter.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:04 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Robert56
I think your missing the point on all fronts. From your argument blue printing and balancing a motor is not needed cause you wont see a difference because you just jet up. It's the combined sum of all mods. if you don't care, then that's fine, but the fact remains in the performance world that every, esp in the pro racing, advantage you can have will help in the overall hp department. You won't find any pros running a NOZZLE kit either. The wet vs dry and which will produce more power, well you've missed the boat there also. If you inject X amount of nitrous, wet or dry and have the same a/f timing and the such, you will have the same peak power and torque, basic physics. The real benefits of the dry hit are the safety and ease of use, along with the developing DP dry that seems to have an edge in all departments. I will be doing some testing in the near future and my dollar says the DP Dry will have a better performance curve IE: better Volumetric efficiency, closer EGTs and a/f per cylinder, and will this produce more power/torque, we think so. Now will non protruding nozzles help, sure will. Check what the big time racers do and are doing and have been doing, not your average street guy like us, and you will surely see all the small things can add up to one big thing. By the way, comparing two non efficient systems really proves nothing.

Robert
I can't help but laugh.

Please call Gene Fulton and tell him that his 6 second nitrous setups are junk.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

I can't help but laugh.

Please call Gene Fulton and tell him that his 6 second nitrous setups are junk.
Come on man, no one said that a protruding nozzle would not perform. Here's another angle. I ran a 10.85 with about a 200shot on a bone stock LS6, with no headers. OK, could I have run that fast with a 150shot and a set of long tubes, probably so. That's what we are talking about, just efficiency. Port matching could also be added to your does it really make a difference, probably not at our levels, but I can guarantee that your boy above does that and more. The non protruding Dry DP is new to most, and there is potential for sure. Look at where ALL the car companies put their fuel injectors, not half way up the runners protruding into the intake tract, there is reason they don't. We are not trying to disprove or prove anything in absolutes, just thinking outside of the normal box concerning the street/strip guys; just a nice tech talk, and I really enjoy that you added some input.
Robert
Old 04-13-2008, 06:55 PM
10 Second Club

just curious what injectors you used? was looking at getting a vic. jr efi setup but wasn't sure which injectors to use
Old 04-13-2008, 11:45 PM
Banned

Very, very nice setup. I do have one question/comment. I noticed the hard 90 coming off the solenoid to the dist block. Now from what I have been told, hard 90's in a nitrous kit are a no no. I have always heard that if using a 90 a full flow type 90 is ok, but no hard 90's. Obviouslly the person who did this knows what they are doing, again very nice setup. Not trying to take away from it at all.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:28 AM
8 second mod

Originally Posted by 19trans_am98
just curious what injectors you used? was looking at getting a vic. jr efi setup but wasn't sure which injectors to use
you can run any injector. i run 42 pound injectors i got threw speed inc
Old 04-14-2008, 09:42 AM
Staging Lane

jet changes with hard lines suck.

Flexible SS lines dumdumdum
Old 04-14-2008, 04:55 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Very nice looknig setup.

There are annular wet nozzles however, that when installed with bungs like that will not protrude into the intake and disturb flow.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:30 PM
8 second mod

bung hole
Old 04-14-2008, 07:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Wonderbread
Very, very nice setup. I do have one question/comment. I noticed the hard 90 coming off the solenoid to the dist block. Now from what I have been told, hard 90's in a nitrous kit are a no no. I have always heard that if using a 90 a full flow type 90 is ok, but no hard 90's. Obviouslly the person who did this knows what they are doing, again very nice setup. Not trying to take away from it at all.
True to a certain point, or rather up to a certain point. If your close to max flow, then yes every 90° fitting will add to an accumulating restriction. Those are full bore ½" fittings and there are two of them (both in fuel lines tee to each), and at my level they prob won't be a restriction. Now with that said, the only reason they are there, see my 180° fittings I made for the front cross over lines, is that the Vette has 0 clearance at the fire wall, and nothing else will fit, actually even the 90° fitting on the drivers side will still not fit. My cure is to shorten up the fuel rails and then will try and get some of my custom tube 90°s to fit. Also, have some fittings that no one else has used or seen, but that will be a little later, and may become the rage, lol.

I have some new finished DP Dry plumbing pics, and will try to get them up soon so you guys can let me know how it turned out. Of course I think it's pretty cool? Though I may just wait until the entire engine bay is done, which is totally made over from prior pictures. Thanks for the nice comments, as it means something to me, for sure, coming from my nitrous peers and buddies.

Robert
Old 04-14-2008, 07:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Very nice looknig setup.

There are annular wet nozzles however, that when installed with bungs like that will not protrude into the intake and disturb flow.
Yep, very true, and I believe that is the only correct way to go, straight shooter Annular discharge wet nozzles aimed dorectly at the intake valve like they should be. There is a reason that the car manufactures choose to put the injectors where they did, and not up the runners a ways and protruding into the air stream IE: Air Dynamics.

Originally Posted by Noyzee
bung hole
he said "bung hole", hehehehehe.
Robert
Old 04-14-2008, 07:39 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree. Someday when I step up to a real setup, that is the only way I will go. Probably end up doing a sheet metal intake like that big boy in the other thread at the same time, unless the Et carb style intake is out and avaiable right from ET port matched to work with my 240 heads, in that case, it may get the nod