Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can I avoid a "nitrous hiccup"?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 07:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by algws6
never did i imply the dry backfires are often but, i have taken this challenge before with you on cf and sited someone on that site, now i will do it on this site. badhabbitbird from this site had a dry backfire. why? user error (sean chime in if im wrong). you just seem to beat the subject to death and quite frankly it gets old. do you see the wet guys (ha ha) screaming WET WET WET on every thread? no, because there is plenty of info on this site for someone to decide for themselves. you also seem to repeat that us wet guys are in the dark ages, which to me is an insult. why don't you just sight the wet vs dry thread and let the person decide from there. hell, sometimes people aren't even asking a question about that and you still throw in your two cents regaurding dry. like i said everyone that has been on this site more than 2 days knows your opinion and if any newbies need info the search feature will bring up answers to 99% of their questions.
Well I have a great big idea for you, "If you don't like hearing what I have to say, please put me on your ignore list", end of story. Every single thread I stick up for dry is when the wet guys like your self come up something that's not true or misleading. The 40 year old carb tech of the wet hit is well established, the new tech of dry is not. So, I will continue to tout the merits of the Dry hits as long as there are those that have not heard. Hell, go into the NW section, I did a thread showing the progress of my DP Dry intake, well one of the top notch moderators on this site (800hp car) wanted to know how in the heck I was going to do a DP dry, an aftermarket PCM/controller like BS3. I told him about the new ability for dry hits to go completely after the MAF, with the Interface, or before. Further more, we are no longer limited with the injector sizing (80lb'ers Racetronics). Also, the new tech that NX has introduced, mechanically adjust for the dry hit. So, just because you know everything there is to know about dry hits, and of course have personally run DP Dry, regular dry before and after MAF, multi stage dry and nozzle tuning, and of course tuning with HP Tuner, EFI Live, The Interface and every single other angle concerning the dry hit, doesn't mean everyone else has. But, I do want to thank you for giving me the opportunity to address some of the dry facts. You really need to get over your self, and because you like wet hits, think I am putting you down, facts are facts, take em how ya like. But remember, please put me on your ignore list and then you done have to hear it at all, then no problem. By the way, you are the first and only one to ever say this stuff, so ya might want to take a look at your self. Have a good day though, and again, nothing personal.

Edit: Got some info sought, mixed up with another thread.

Robert

Last edited by Robert56; 04-03-2008 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will be running dry in SD mode, with out a mass air my self . With my new COS5 EFI Live program by putting a pin in the ecm (J-56 pin) and wire to a switch to ground to activate the nitrous mod. So yes the technology is there for the dry systems ,Am I'm going that way my self.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:39 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I swear the argument over which is better is plain gay and very played out. Both get the job done and both can be dangerous in either form if the user doesnt know what he is doing when tunning or hooking it up with all the safty equipment.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

TIMING TUNER read into it or even Timing TWISTER by MSD I like timing tuner because it has a delay for your car to hook before N20 hits
Old 04-03-2008, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

whatever robert. im not going to lower myself to your level by insulting and argueing with you. good luck with your setup (your going to need it). i cann't believe your still a mod on this site. maybe the REAL mods will look at this thread (and every other) and second guess thier desicion. grow up.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:55 PM
TECH Addict

I love America ,You can speak your mind and have different opinions, But you will get what your looking for. For the questions your asking, just read between the lines, You will get all the info you need to know to be safe and read and read.The more you read the more you'll know. That what I do .
Old 04-03-2008, 08:17 PM
TECH Regular

whatever robert. im not going to lower myself to your level by insulting and argueing with you. good luck with your setup (your going to need it). i cann't believe your still a mod on this site. maybe the REAL mods will look at this thread (and every other) and second guess thier desicion. grow up.
Actually many people learn a lot from him and i am one of them. My brother and dad are stuck on wet kits. Me on the other hand after reading threw Roberts website decided to go with a dry kit.Why because if you look at the new technology there is no reason to not go with it. On a wet kit you have to worry about the fuel solenoid along with a list of others not working and guess what bye bye motor. With my dry kit i don't have to worry about a stuck solenoid. But keep bashing him because you don't want to see his opinion on dry kits.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by caMnaro
Actually many people learn a lot from him and i am one of them. My brother and dad are stuck on wet kits. Me on the other hand after reading threw Roberts website decided to go with a dry kit.Why because if you look at the new technology there is no reason to not go with it. On a wet kit you have to worry about the fuel solenoid along with a list of others not working and guess what bye bye motor. With my dry kit i don't have to worry about a stuck solenoid. But keep bashing him because you don't want to see his opinion on dry kits.
not once did i bash him. like i said in my first post, different strokes.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:28 PM
Banned

not once did i bash him. like i said in my first post, different strokes.
Agreed on diffrent strokes. But all Robert is trying to do is inform people about dry because most are ignorant on what dry can actually be capable of including myself and i have learned a lot from his threads and still have questions that he continues to answer no matter how stupid they are. So please dont say things like how are you still a mod on this forum because he is and diserves to be and anyone who thinks diffrent i dont know where your brain is at...

Speaking of stupid questions. I have never had a backfire knock on wood but where are most of these backfires occuring? Im assuming off the line and at low rpm's? (sorry i dont know very much about them still learning so school me if you have the time please )
Old 04-03-2008, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

robert, does not always conduct himself as a mod. that is the reason i made that statement.

back on topic:
yes, you are correct. most backfires are due to puddling from either activating at too low of a rpm, running overly rich, hitting the rev limmiter while spraying, or having a leaky fuel noid (boo wet kit) lol. just use common sense, set your system up correctly, and maintain/check your system and you will be fine. good luck.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:50 PM
Banned

robert, does not always conduct himself as a mod. that is the reason i made that statement.

back on topic:
yes, you are correct. most backfires are due to puddling from either activating at too low of a rpm, running overly rich, hitting the rev limmiter while spraying, or having a leaky fuel noid (boo wet kit) lol. just use common sense, set your system up correctly, and maintain/check your system and you will be fine. good luck.
lol Cool i appreciate it man thanks for the info
Old 04-03-2008, 11:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yea that's really cool, the EFI Live COS 5 really has some great features, and going SD and dry is great. A couple other guys have gone this route, but as far as I know your the first with EFI Live. So many ways these days to skin the dry cat. Wet, nothing has changed, nor will it, and for those reading along, I have over 25years running wet hits. I am going to add your EFI info to my web site, as I have some Dry tuning write ups for the EFI Live COS 5.
Robert
Originally Posted by Randy WS6
I will be running dry in SD mode, with out a mass air my self . With my new COS5 EFI Live program by putting a pin in the ecm (J-56 pin) and wire to a switch to ground to activate the nitrous mod. So yes the technology is there for the dry systems ,Am I'm going that way my self.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well I am sorry you feel that way, hey I am human just like everyone else. Thanks guys for noticing that I am not all bad, lol. Though I do know some get tired of hearing the dry thing, and thus the reason for the ignore capability.

Anyway, I think some/many backfires are really the result of lean issues, outside of the bog launch type and/or fuel drop out. I know mine was a high rpm lean backfire from hitting the limiter and the PCM pulling fuel. I thought I was Joe pro shifter and ran with out a WS, big mistake, and missed a shift. It blew a nice hole in the back of the intake, though I am glad it was not a wet hit as it usually dislodges the fuel rails and then the fire. Dry backfires, as rare as they are, seem much, much less violent due to the fact that no fuel is in the intake tract, OK a very small amount from reversion. We do need to, as my friend algws6 alludes to, be safe and have all our bases covered for the best chance of no issues, wet or dry. I honestly believe the future is dry, and was making this statement before NX, HSW or EFI came out with their innovative products for the dry market, so I must not be alone. I don't hate the wet guys or kits, they still have their place, but the times they are a changing.
Robert
Robert

back on topic:
Robert
Old 04-04-2008, 12:05 AM
TECH Addict

Heres a pic of it
Old 04-04-2008, 12:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Randy WS6
Heres a pic of it
Can I swipe your pic as well, for my site?
Robert
Old 04-04-2008, 12:54 AM
TECH Addict

As much as you want, lol, Just here to learn & help
Old 04-04-2008, 08:50 AM
TECH Junkie

reluctantly i have to agree.. dry shots are superrior wet kits on the lsx intake are more problamatic.. furthermore the more **** you can run direct port the better the chance of even distrubution you have.... beef up your stock fuel system.. go buy a dry kit and enjoy the piece of mind knowing you aint gonna have your intake blown off your car

Originally Posted by Robert56
I just don't get it. It just never ever stops. Where on earth do you get this implication to not run a dry hit to avoid a backfire, or hic up. This is absolute nonsense. It's the other way around. If you want to avoid a backfire, stay away from wet hits. Check the wet vs dry thread, I give pages of destruction from the wet hit (pictures included), and after searching for many years, no one besides myself can come up with this destruction or backfires running a DRY hit. These old wive's tales really do a dis service to the entire nitrous field. Do we want to stay with 40 year old carburetor technology of the wet hit, or do we want to move on the the modern/today technology of the EFI/PCM and Dry hit. For me it's no brainier, being around the spray from day one, I really can't see any benefits any longer of running a wet hit in any shape or form. Direct Port Dry hits are becoming more and more popular for a reason, actually many reasons. It makes no difference to me whether you run wet or dry, we just want the correct facts put out there, so not busting any ***** at all.
Robert

Quick Reply: How can I avoid a "nitrous hiccup"?