Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous Express LS1 MAF kit installed on

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 05:32 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nitrous Express LS1 MAF kit installed on

ATTENTION ALL 97-06 CORVETTE AND NEW GTO OWNERS! Check out the new trick NX MAF nitrous system for any single piece GM MAF vehicle. This includes 03' Camaro and Firebird and all 97' and up GM Pickups. The NX integrated solenoid nitrous system for the GM Single piece MAF is the state of the art in safe horsepower production. Compact, easy to install, machined from billet 6061 aluminum, integral lifetime warranty solenoids, complete plug and play wiring harness, TPAS module, and all necessary hardware for a complete installation. Fits all GM one piece MAF applications. 35-200 Horsepower

Installation Instructions

*Factory Mass Air Meter not included

Protection

Zt-2 Wideband Controller and Datalogging System
Cut your tuning time in half!
Includes the Zt-2 Wideband Air/Fuel Ratio Meter, Wideband Oxygen Sensor, Sensor Harness, Signal Harness, PC Serial Cable, Datalogging Software, Installation Instructions and 2 pin EGT connector to retrofit your EGT probe. Made in the USA.

Exhaust Gas Temperature Probe
Low mass, fast responsive EGT Probe.

You can use some other slow EGT probe but will it tell you the EGTs are raising before you melt the engine parts?
Includes 8' EGT probe extension harness to the Zt-2. 1/8 NPT thread.
Please note special K grade thermocouple extension wire is used. Made in the USA.

ZAVT-1
Zeitronix Audio-Visual Warning and Trigger Box.

Loud 95dB audio buzzer with a bright red LED and a relay trigger signals the alarm.

APPLICATIONS
  • AFR too rich The alarm activates when too rich mixture is detected.
  • AFR too lean The alarm activates when too lean mixture is detected.
  • A combination of AFR too rich and AFR too lean alarms can be used to tune for a specific AFR window.
  • EGT too high The alarm activates when EGT exceeds a safe user selected level.
  • RPM too high Shift-light functionality with a bonus of audio alarm and a relay trigger.
  • TPS too high The alarm activates when TPS exceeds a selected level.
  • USER1 Input too high The alarm activated if a sensor connected to the USER1 input exceeds a selected level.
  • USER1 Input too low The alarm activated if a sensor connected to the USER1 input is lower than a selected level.
  • Relay trigger Open or close a relay circuit to activate or deactivate additional devices at a set warning level. Typically used to add a control to your boost setting, nitrous or alcohol injection and other devices capable of engine destruction.

The start

The billet plate

The end cut off

Ground off all of the tabs and bumps

Assembled
Old 06-18-2008, 05:38 PM
Banned

MAF installed

Air Box

Mess of wires

Switches

The all important Tank 1 of 2 (they are both full)

5-1-08
So far I have about 20+ hours into it. Lot of work and planning. I think I had about 4 or 5 hours into just talking to Bert about it. Well talking Bert into dropping all this cash I should say.

You can talk someone into dropping their pants and bending over. If they aren't happy in the end it is no good.
Bert is already happy and he hasn't pushed the bottom yet. He is 100% confident in all the protection I have installed. I think the total dollar amount of the protection is getting close to the total of the N2O kit :histeric:

The N2O will only be applied at WOT, in 2nd and 3rd gears, with AFR no leaner that 12.8 to 1, and the EGT not over 850° C.
I may run that EGT a little cooler :hmm:

Look close

Old 06-18-2008, 05:40 PM
Banned

Then I changed the switches

Old 06-18-2008, 05:41 PM
Banned

5-8-08

I called Santa and he was on the other line, so I had to play the email tag game. I asked him what I should have the EGT limit set at. He replied with a not so good answer and a lead in question. He said that it depends on the location of the sensor. Yeah! I replied that I was running 790° C without the N2O. He replied 1100° to 1200° will be safe. I have the EGT limit set at 800° or 850° and this is turning off the N2O. I want to be on the safe side. I am going to bump it to 1000° today. I am going to set a Lean limit of 12.6 to 1. This is a complex setting.

The Wideband module has the following inputs that can be installed.
  • RPM
  • Boost/Map Sensor
  • TPS
  • User 5V

The Alarm/Trigger box can turn the N2O off if the following occur.
  • AFR too rich - The alarm activates when too rich mixture is detected.
  • AFR too lean - The alarm activates when too lean mixture is detected.
  • EGT too high - The alarm activates when EGT exceeds a safe user selected level.
  • RPM too high - Shift-light functionality with a bonus of audio alarm and a relay trigger.
  • TPS too high - The alarm activates when TPS exceeds a selected level.
  • USER1 Input too high - The alarm activated if a sensor connected to the USER1 input exceeds a selected level.
  • USER1 Input too low - The alarm activated if a sensor connected to the USER1 input is lower than a selected level

I have the EGT handled, but I need a Lean setting and maybe a rich setting.
This is my plan for the lean setting for the 12.6 to 1
I plan on hooking up the USER 1 input to the N2O Solenoid 12V feed wire. I need to install a 11000 resistor in line. This gives me 5V on that wire.
The reason I need 2 inputs is because is you are cruising at 14.7 to 1 the Alarm will be going off. I only want the 12.6 to in affect with the N2O on.

We were playing around the other night. We had shut the bottle off and decide to show off the ability to smoke the tires. it was great until all the extra fuel about killed the engine. :histeric:
I was thinking I need a rich limit. We would use this if the bottle goes dry. No need to wash out a set of plugs.
I was thinking 10 to 1 with the N2O on for a rich limit.

This would give me an EGT limit, Rich limit, and a Lean limit can't think of any thing else I need

Last edited by CalEditor; 06-18-2008 at 06:21 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:45 PM
Banned

5-21-08

We have seen 812°C EGT without Nitrous.
Santa Clause told me I could run 1200°C with no problem. This is related to the placement of the EGT. The Alarm Box setting won't go over 1000°C. At 1000° we will be safe.

The lean setting is 12.6 with the Nitrous. This setting is a "Complex Setting" The alarm would be going off all the time because under normal conditions we are 14.7 to 1. I hooked up an input so that I get 5V on a input wire when the Nitrous in on.
I have a Complex setting of Leaner than 12.6 and the 5V Nitrous input. New problem. Lean spike. Then the alarm shut off the Nitrous and the car starts to Jerk Off.

The General sent us some cool tools to monitor Fuel Pressure in the last few years. We got a Digital Fuel Pressure Gauge. This has a Min/Max recording option (Similar to a Fluke DMM). The other tool is high dollar and I have not used it to monitor fuel pressure yet.
I am going to hook the Digital Gauge up to the Northstar with N2O and see how much it drops when we make a run without N2O. I may see a tip in drop, but I hope it shoots way up and never tappers off. Then I plan to make a few runs with the N2O. We enable the N2O only after shifting into 2nd and we have been WOT for a few seconds. If we get a drop in fuel pressure when the N2O engages or it tappers down I am going to install a BIG fuel pump.

Something as basic as fuel pressure/volume that can not be checked with a needle gauge because of the duration of the condition.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:47 PM
Banned

5-22-08

Initial Lean spike on a Closed throttle to WOT from a dead stop (17.1)

The system goes a little lean on the 1-2 shift (13.6)

This is the Lean Spike form the Nitrous jet opening (13.1)

This is the Rich peak with the Nitrous on. (10.3) The bottle may have been getting weak
Old 06-18-2008, 05:49 PM
Banned

5-26-08

Snap Shot: N2O vs NO N2O

80mph in 10.079 and 1.576 faster than it was when we ran a 14.7 1/4 mile without N2O

102mph in 15.243 on N2O vs 92mph in 15.379 on motor. That would be a 10 mph increase and .136 second quicker.

Last edited by CalEditor; 06-18-2008 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:56 PM
Banned

The System has been going lean for a few weeks and we have not run it at the track for that reason.

I Called Craig @ Nitrous Express and he told me that the rubber on the Fuel Solenoid Plunger could be swelling up. He asked me to check the color of the rubber and call him back. I removed the plunger and the seal looked fine to me. I called he back and told him it was tan in color. He asked me if the rubber was flush with the stainless steel. I replied No it is not. Hmm
The fuel swelled up the seal and has been making my lean condition. Craig sent me out a special replacement Fuel Solenoid.

Last edited by CalEditor; 06-18-2008 at 06:38 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:35 PM
Banned

Some other Mods on this car
Custom tune
Corsa cat back
Volant CAI that has been reworked
3.71 final drive
3500 Stall Converter
Torque Management/Traction Control Defeat device
Custom Shift Kit
245-50-18" Bridgestone Turanaza's
Solid Engine mount

The car weighs in at
Old 06-21-2008, 11:26 AM
Banned

Around 5-22-08 we installed a bottle heater.

We are running this with the 125 hp setup

The car became much more consistent on the amount of power put down when the Protection did not shut the N2O off.

The one and only reason the system has ever shut off is for a lean condition.
We are unable to add a delay in the protection and I am not sure if I would.

The bottle pressure went from 850 psi to 1050 psi.

The system was not run for about two weeks after the heater was installed and initially tested do to rain and flooding.

For the last 2 weeks the car has been going lean and the Alarm box shuts the N2O on and off. This causes a surging condition.

We have seen the EGT up to 820° C without N2O
The MAX we have seen the EGT go up to with N2O is 860°
This is a good indicator of the correct Plug choice correct?

I used the Jet Chart from this forum and had replaced the fuel jet from the 31 to a 33

We installed a Factory adjustable FPR on this and the car runs a return fuel system

I install a Digital Fuel Pressure Gauge the has the ability to record the MIN and MAX fuel pressure.
The stock Fuel Pressure Spec is 41-47 psi KOEO and it should drop 3-10 psi when running.
Initially I think we had 36 psi and 46 psi
I added 10% to the high side and that made it 55 psi
The fuel pressure NEVER dropped on the gauge it raised to 55 psi on the N2O runs, but the car went really lean. I was warned about pushing the injectors closed from too much fuel pressure. We made a few runs without the N2O and found the the car WAS running leaner with 55 PSI. I think it was 12.6 to 13.2 AFR without the N2O.
I pulled 5% fuel pressure out of the car and dropped it to 49 psi. This had very little change on the AFR without the N2O and yes it went richer.

We ran the car on N2O and everything was great the car never went lean and the fuel pressure NEVER dropped it only went up to 49 psi and held the full runs.
Next day different story. The fuel pressure was didn't change.

I have been busy and have not had time to work on the car. I did inspect the Fuel Solenoid Plunger and found that the rubber had swelled out past the end of the metal part by about .015. I am waiting for a new plunger or Solenoid.

I have three different Data-Loggers connected to this car. I have been collecting info on this car for about a year.

BTW if the Bottle is at 850 psi we are all good.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Do THEY sell the billet plate and solenoids seperately?

Last edited by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed; 06-21-2008 at 10:57 PM.
Old 06-21-2008, 02:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
Do you sell the billet plate and solenoids seperately?
This was an NX kit

I am just an old guy that does a little tuning the hard way.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by CalEditor
This was an NX kit

I am just an old guy that does a little tuning the hard way.

How are you determining the start stops of declared variables/arrays ect.

You have a GM header file or just general knowledge?
Old 06-22-2008, 07:27 AM
Banned

I am the one and possibly the only Northstar Tuner. I shared some information with a Major Tuner and he has Northstar's listed, but just the speed limiter removed.

BTW

Old 06-26-2008, 12:57 PM
Banned

The new plunger came in today

The rubber material is black
Old 06-28-2008, 02:41 PM
Banned

We were at C&S performance getting another bottled filled yesterday and we have been talking about a window switch. The owner of this car pulled the plug and bought another toy for it.

I have a new project to do this weekend. I need to add this window switch and add a tach lead for the dyno. I think I might add a few more items to the Wideband module also.

The new plunger seems to have taken care of the lean condition
Old 07-07-2008, 12:43 PM
Banned

I inastalled a set of TR6 plugs and that helped out the lean condition. The lean limit alarm set off a couple of time in a 10lbs bottle and then I changed the plugs for GP. I had .050 gapped plug in it.

This is the new plugs one range colder and gapped to .040
This is 79 frames/ticks to complete the run. the IAT reading was 80 deg
This had NO N2O

Old 07-07-2008, 12:46 PM
Banned

This is spraying N2O
This was 10 minutes after the first run
This was 40 frames. That would be 1/2 the frames
This had less Knock Retard

Old 07-07-2008, 08:24 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WOW... Holly lots of info...lol Nice right up. I have to admit I just speed through it and did not really read it though... I know you have lots of time involved and seen no one had hardly responded so I thought I would say good job,,,
Dave
Old 07-07-2008, 11:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Takes time correlating the charts into one mental image. Cool to see another perspective though

Quick Reply: Nitrous Express LS1 MAF kit installed on