Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What style kit would you go with?
Wet kit-single stage
10.14%
Wet kit-dual stage
21.74%
Direct port- single stage
68.12%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

402+big shot build=what kit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 01:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 402+big shot build=what kit?

I have the motor in my sig and plan on spraying *eventually* up to a 275 or 300 shot. I am not going to jump into it right away and am going to start out spraying a 150 shot. I would like to have nitrous for the rest of the summer, and over the winter plan on replacing the rear end I am going to break with a 12 bolt and putting together a stand alone fuel system to take care of the larger shot. I have read a little about water-methanol injection but have not made any decisions on that, anyways, back to my main questions:

Which would be best for my application? I have been looking at mostly NX products, but am open to others.
I was wondering if I should be looking at something like a single stage dual nozzle kit, which would allow the big shot eventually but would allow me to start out lower. Or possibly a dual stage wet kit? That would allow me to again start off small and build up to a higher hp level while at the same time help with any traction issues I might have off the line. What about a Nozzle direct port system?
I have been told by a few guys running nitrous that I cruise around with that a wet kit should be fine for my goals as long as the solenoids and lines are designed for the shot I intend on running eventually. I asked about a direct port kit and they told me all they knew about it was that it was a more difficult install.

What are the benefits of a direct port kit over a wet kit? My budget would allow for a direct port kit, however, not a dual stage direct port kit. I really like the idea of a dual stage kit, however, if a direct port kit would be more beneficial if running a larger shot I can ditch the dual stage idea for now.

I would like to stay around $1300 for the kit total. I don't mind if it is just a basic kit to get me up and running, I can add the purge, remote opener, bottle heater, etc. later. I would like to see what you all have to say about a wet single stage dual nozzle kit vs. a wet dual stage kit vs. a single stage direct port kit. Also, if you would like to reccomend someone other than NX be my guest, I am all ears! Thanks.
Mitchell
Old 07-09-2008, 06:31 AM
9 Second Club

What intake?
Old 07-09-2008, 08:25 AM
TECH Addict

Of the 3 choises id go DP but keeping a good DP under 1300 might be dificult.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:43 AM
9 Second Club

Received 238 Likes on 177 Posts

Call Nitrous Outlet, I am sure they can come up with something for your buget and setup.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:44 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think for your goals a dual stage plate kit will get you the desired goals. Give Nitrous Outlet a call, and buy the single stage plate kit, but upgrade the plate to a dual stage. Get you a window switch and FPSS, and a nitrous gauge.

Now you have a kit, that can give you 50+hp on one stage, and later when funds allow buy the rest of the parts needed for the stage.

http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...roduct_id=1134

http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...product_id=964

http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...roduct_id=2553
Old 07-09-2008, 09:20 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

FOr a 275 to 300 hit I wouldn't use anything other then a DP. With a hit that big you do NOT want to rely on the intake to distribute the nitrous evenly. THe directport you can tune each cylinder individually, with a plate behind the TB or a couple nozzles, you're "hoping" the intake will do it for you, and I can guarintee that #7, #8 and #5 are gonna get hammered alot harder in that order then the front 5 cylinders due to the inherent design of the intake. No more then 150 thru one of those plates, if you don't believe me then have the plate/intake flowed by someone that can do that for you, and you will see. The distribution, will not be good.

If you are going to run a single plane, then you can put a hit that big thru a plate, but that's a stiff hit with a plate kit and if you're tuneup and engine parts aren't 100% it's gonna eat some stuff up eventually.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:52 AM
FormerVendor

A DP setup would be great, but i dont think you will be able to pull it off on your budget. I would go with a dual nozzle kit. Personally i would wait and save up for a quality direct port setup. You could grow into a 300 shot with a dual nozzle kit. But as JL said, why not go for the better distribution of of the direct port. We limited our plate to a 200 shot for the same reasons as he described. Sure we could have built a plate to flow a 1000 horsepower but how efficient would that be when the flaws in the intake dont allow for perfect distribution.

I know the feeling of getting impatient and wanting more power now, but my best suggested so you dont waste any money would be to save up and go with the direct port.

Also, as ATV asked, we need to know what intake you have to make the best possible recommendation if you really need the kit now. having a Fast 90, LS6, or Single plain Vic could change what we suggest.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:35 AM
Race your car!

If you are running a single plane intake and want to get a setup on there for the $ you're looking to spend and be able to run the size shots you want to run, a speedtech 2 stage diffuser plate will definately get you there. It's about an inch thick though so the elbow or TB will be a little tall, but you can make it work with an aftermarket hood, or via a little handywork with a cuoff wheel/dremel.

If you are running one of those intakes, that plate is the way to go by far IMO.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:04 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With your set up and the amount you are looking to spray you are sitting on the line of it being worth while to spend a little more now and go to a directport. However the directport may be the best option but not your only option.

Here is why I say its not your only option. We deal with many real racers. These racers may not live on the boards but we talk to them on a daily bases as well as help them. Some of these racers race certain classes that limit them to what they can run. In the past for the EFI crowd some classes limited them to a single nozzle or plate. Since there was no plate system at the time for the efi LSX crowd the only option was the NX SHO single nozzle system. This system would flow up to 400 HP and trust me there were a lot of racers using it. Most were around the 300 HP mark but some were venturing further. Well we wanted something better than the single nozzle so we set out to design a plate that could flow the 400hp with out any flow limitations and give a better atomized discharge than the single or dual nozzle.

After over a year of R&D and design changes we brought to market our High Flowing big power making EFI plate design. With our design you will have the capability of big HP and big flow with out the poor flow restrictions you see in the other plate systems on the market. Our plate has six fuel and six nitrous discharges across the top of the plate. It breaks the discharge up to where the atomized discharge as good as its going to get. If you were to dry flow our plate you would notice the plate hits very hard and very fast. Both the fuel and nitrous have absolutely no restrictions. For this reason our plate not only makes big high flowing HP it is reliable in doing so.

If you are familiar with our company you know we are well known for our direct ports. We keep a full house of direct ports we are plumbing year round. E plumb intakes from factory take offs to high dollar sheet metal. With this being said my attentions are in no way to talk you out of a direct port. My attentions are to let you know that what you are looking to do can be done with out having one.

Keeping that in mind if you were to use the best high flowing plat on the market you could tune your car to an easy 300 HP gain. I suggest reading the spark plugs just like I would with a direct port. The key to doing so would be to locate if you have what I call a hot cylinder. (This is a cylinder that burns leaner than the others.) I have noticed most of the LSX based engines cylinders flow pretty close to each other unless someone ported the heads and intake that should not have been porting. If the heads and intake are efficient you should not see a huge difference in cylinders. Since you will not have the ability to individual cylinder tune like you would with a direct port you will pull the plugs and watch for a hot cylinder. If you have one burning hotter (leaner) than the others you will tune to this cylinder. You will adjust the air fuel until the spark plug looks right in that cylinder. In the event you had a cylinder burning way hotter you could run a colder plug in that cylinder.

On almost every LSX car flowing large HP shots I have seen using our plate the cylinders were all burning very close to each other and required no major change if any.

Here are 8 pages of directports we have done. I only wish I would have taken pictures of al the ones we have done.
http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/installs/index.asp

Here is some great tech info for you to read. Pros and Cons of a Directport.
http://www.nitroustech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109

If I can help in any way let me know. I have the knowledge to guide you into a nice safe set up that fits your needs.
Dave
Old 07-09-2008, 05:55 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mike@HSW
We limited our plate to a 200 shot for the same reasons as he described. Sure we could have built a plate to flow a 1000 horsepower but how efficient would that be when the flaws in the intake dont allow for perfect distribution.
I sure wish that when you guys post stuff like this that you would include a disclaimer that says "we actually have two plates and when you order our plate conversion kit we will actually be sending you the 'small' plate that only flows 150 max and u cant get the big one without buying a whole kit" bc that's what Matt told me when I called him after my plate didnt work worth a crap (even on the 150) and it left me pretty ticked off, especially when he wouldnt work with me on returns or anything.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:15 PM
On The Tree

Right now I am using a carb and carb intake with a Jeff Prock at applied nitrous technology double cross plate system. I do not have a single complaint and if you are going wih a carbed intake I HIGHLY recomend using a Prock plate. I am not sure if I am going to stick with this set up on the L92 motor I am slowly building but we will see.

If you are using a regular style intake I'd trust Nitro Dave as he sure knows what he is talking about. He can also hook you up with a SWEET direct port which is what I recomend. His plates are top notch for the factory style intakes too.

So my suggestions are a Prock plate on a carbed intake, or a Nitrous Outlet direct port set up. Can't go wrong either way. As much as I love the Applied kit I am using now and it's awesome that it includes a flow gauge, I think I may be stepping up to a direct port.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:09 PM
Race your car!

FWIW< if you talk to Steve Johnson, he's gonna tell you that the only time a plate is a good idea is when the rules dictate that it is the only setup allowed.

He's tuned the fastest nitrous cars in the country, and I guarintee that he's gonna tell you 1 or 2 stages of directport.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:25 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 02NBMWS6
I sure wish that when you guys post stuff like this that you would include a disclaimer that says "we actually have two plates and when you order our plate conversion kit we will actually be sending you the 'small' plate that only flows 150 max and u cant get the big one without buying a whole kit" bc that's what Matt told me when I called him after my plate didnt work worth a crap (even on the 150) and it left me pretty ticked off, especially when he wouldnt work with me on returns or anything.
All plates can flow XXX amount, but how much you actually see can depend on your setup. Our solenoids and lines were designed to flow with our plates to achieve a certain amount of dyno proven horsepower. Since your not using our components we cannot guarantee you will see the same results.

Did you speak with someone before ordering? i dont see anything on our site that seems misleading to me.

Shoot me a pm with some more information on your setup and we'll see what we can do/
Old 07-09-2008, 08:23 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
Here are 8 pages of directports we have done. I only wish I would have taken pictures of al the ones we have done.
Dave
Here let me help out with the one you did for me.

SVT THIS, dave does awesome work and helped me out with an issue I had one year after I purchased his stuff. Great customer service. I say go DP and use a progressor (or change pills) to control the amount of nitrous your gonna use
Old 07-11-2008, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

DP allows you to distribute the correct amount of nitrous to each cylinder. On a big shot, it is probably the best way to go. That being said, wet dual stage would be pretty cool because you can have a shot for the street and an additional shot when traction allows (i.e. prepped track). However, I would call Dave and tell him your goals and your budget. The man knows what he is talking about.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:49 PM
TECH Resident

im going direct port...its the safest possible way to get the big numbers. and im going for 300+ so i wont trust anyone besides the best out there... Nitro Daves Nitrous Outlet. give them a call Chris and dave are the guys to talk to. there isnt too many people out there that can help more than them.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:29 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks guys for all the kind words...
Old 07-25-2008, 12:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you have the funds and are not limited to a plate unit for class rules, do the fogger. It is easier on parts and easier to hook, since it doesn't hit nearly as hard as a plate unit set at the same hp.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:44 AM
Race your car!

I'd do a DP, and if you want to save yourself alot of $< do a softline DP with Nos parts, you can easily plumb it yourself and believe me it will flow more then enough nitrous for whatever you want. It's a TON easier to deal with then the hardline for routing and jet changes and the like, Hardline looks nice, but the first tiem you have to change the jets at the track you'll be hating it on a 4th gen fbody with the cowl in the way.

Softline=easy. All you have to do is drill and tap the intake, put the nozzles in, mount your solenoids with the distribution blocks and then run the lines. About as easy as it gets IMO
Old 10-15-2008, 12:50 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor / 7 Second Club

Just send the intake to Nitro Dave!! He will get you everything you need. Trust me when I say do it right the first the time and only do it once.