Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous noob....what caused this?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 04:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store...ousjetcalc.asp

check your jets there... according to them u have a 175 shots in there... which means you need to take another 2 degrees of timing out
Old 09-30-2008, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also looks like you need a colder plug, 1 step colder is **** nothing for a 175 shot, the TR6s run great on a NA engine without being too cold, IMO, you need at least 2 steps colder, never assume a plug is TOO COLD for nitrous, your safer being alittle cold then alittle hot, way safer, i think your timing is fine at 24*, now you say your AF ratio is 12.0, how are you checking it? From the guys @ nitrous outlet, 11.7 is about ideal on the bottle, so unless you can adjust your AF tables, i would drop them too 11.7 & run 2 steps colder as a starting point gapped at closer too .030".
Old 09-30-2008, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BRAKE

These are a fresh pair of tr6's, I pulled them out of cylinders 5,7 and 6,8, is this detonation? If so what causes it, lack of fuel, too much timing, plugs not gapped properly? I'm running a 150 shot, jets .062 N and .033 F btw.

Thanks in advance.
Another note, do you see all that peppering on those plugs, thats a SURE sign of detination, running lean can also cause this, not just timing, the straps are gone because they got WAY too hot, you may need to go 3 steps colder (from stock) on the plugs to play it safe, if you keep this up, your going to lift the ring lands & fry the engine, that 3rd. plug is missing part of the porcelin, that sucker is detinating real bad.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:26 PM
11 Second Club

Hmmm...I figured the "total package" kits from Nitrous Outlet were good enough. They're rated up to a 150 shot and come with TR6 plugs.

These aren't good enough?
Old 09-30-2008, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SlayerMaro
Hmmm...I figured the "total package" kits from Nitrous Outlet were good enough. They're rated up to a 150 shot and come with TR6 plugs.

These aren't good enough?
Just remember, thats rated on an A/F ratio of 11.7, not 12.0, if infact thats what it was while he was on the bottle, those cheapo A/F meters don't mean squat, i've seen guys run them, a good A/F metering system runs around 3-400.00, not 80.00, this has also been confirmed by many on this board, On the plugs, my personal opinion is the 55s are a tad hot if your raceing NA of coarse, around town cruiseing & such they are great, burn nice & clean, the TR6s are fine on most, but there only 1 step colder, some have had issues with them, even with a 100 shot, so you want to install the COLDEST plug possible with nitrous, along with better gas, then with this you really don't need to take any timing out of a 75-100 shot. The TR6s will work fine on a 100-125 shot with ease, but the rest of the tune needs to be spot-on, the real reason behind the TR6s is, most run 100 shot, they can be used either "on" or "off" the bottle, you can still cruise around & they won't foul out, so they serve as a versatile plug for our engines with stock bottom ends (compression), but once you get above say 150 shot, you really need larger injectors (i forgot too mention), a bare minimum of 2 steps colder (then stock) plug, good fuel & 11.7 A/F ratio or less, & 8-10 deg. timing taken out, the timing can be adj. by MPH in any case, when the MPH slows, go back to the last setting. I'll bet, if he gets the tune where it needs to be, it'll run better at 26-28* timing on a 175 shot.

So yes, the TR6s will work with a 150 (with a closer gap like .030"), but the whole tune better be "shot-on".
Old 09-30-2008, 08:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by quik406
Ya lost me. Once again. Describe tune?
The tune on my car is set up for motor only not nitrous. Thats why i burnt the tips off 3 out of the 8 plugs. My engine has to much timing in it. All i k=need is a fuel pump and a tune and the car will be running perfect.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

First off, TR6's are MORE than sufficient to run with a 150 wet shot. My car runs 10's on a 150 shot and TR6 plugs.

2nd, when describing a "Fucked up tune" was it done on a dyno, or was it a mail order tune?

3rd there are many different octanes available at pumps, what octane fuel are you running? I would hope that no one would run less than 93 anyways, ESPECIALLY on spray.

4th. What injectors are in the car?

I would suggest pulling 2 more degrees of timing and getting the car on a dyno for a decent tune. I would NEVER trust a mail order tune, especially on a car with power adders.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:43 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1BDWS6
First off, TR6's are MORE than sufficient to run with a 150 wet shot. My car runs 10's on a 150 shot and TR6 plugs.

Really? My car will speckle a TR6 on the motor with 27* of timing, so your telling me they will be MORE than enough for a 150 shot?

What do you suggest for a 300 shot? TR7's
Old 09-30-2008, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

Wow!
Thanks alot for all the info guys. BTW I'm running an Innovate LC-1 wideband, thats where Im getting my a/f's from. I just bought a set of TR8's and did a compression test. Highest cyl is 181 and lowest is 179 so I know the motor is fine. Well see how it does on TR8's with cam2.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ATVracr
Really? My car will speckle a TR6 on the motor with 27* of timing, so your telling me they will be MORE than enough for a 150 shot?

What do you suggest for a 300 shot? TR7's
TR6's were fine in my 414ci with 12.5 to 1 compression. They work fine with my H/C and 150 shot as well. Oh and did I mention I used to own a dyno shop and they worked well in COUNTLESS other similar setups??

So with stock compression, and a 150 wet shot, that's exactly what I'm saying. They are suffucient enough to run fine with a correct tune.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:47 PM
9 Second Club

TR6's were fine in my 414ci with 12.5 to 1 compression. They work fine with my H/C and 150 shot as well. Oh and did I mention I used to own a dyno shop and they worked well in COUNTLESS other similar setups??

So with stock compression, and a 150 wet shot, that's exactly what I'm saying. They are suffucient enough to run fine with a correct tune.

Maybe thats the reason you dont own it anymore.

I have seen a few dyno pulls made one time..... So how much HP is someone giving up running TR8's instead of TR6's on a 150 WET shot?
Old 09-30-2008, 11:06 PM
TECH Regular

I have seen a few dyno pulls made one time..... So how much HP is someone giving up running TR8's instead of TR6's on a 150 WET shot?

Easy Wayne!! You can't pound your advice into folks...Sometimes seeing is believing...and some people don't mind seeing melted parts.

Maybe this will calm you down..I just nabbed my first 250R! First 2 poke also...295cc(72mm), carb, fmf exhaust, 86 but red plastics, +2, +6 rear...

Old 09-30-2008, 11:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah that's it, that's the reason. You figured it out, I put the wrong plugs in alot of vehicles and I had to close up shop.

All I'm saying is I'm stating my experience with several cars, your stating your experience with 1 car. And that's all I have to say about that. Case closed.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:11 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by AutoRoc
Easy Wayne!! You can't pound your advice into folks...Sometimes seeing is believing...and some people don't mind seeing melted parts.

Maybe this will calm you down..I just nabbed my first 250R! First 2 poke also...295cc(72mm), carb, fmf exhaust, 86 but red plastics...
True!

Badass! ....Best Quad ever built !! Mine had a Duncan Racing 340 powervalve motor.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:21 PM
9 Second Club

Yeah that's it, that's the reason. You figured it out, I put the wrong plugs in alot of vehicles and I had to close up shop.

All I'm saying is I'm stating my experience with several cars, your stating your experience with 1 car. And that's all I have to say about that. Case closed.
That was a joke ... glad you got it.

1 car? LMAO !!! Look up the 2007 Pump gas drags winner.... we built it in my garage along with quite a few other LS1 nitrous cars.

Now Mr. Dyno could you please answer the question... How much power are these guys giving up running TR8's instead of TR6's on a 150 shot (wet or Dry)?? .... My guess would be 1% So on your 500 hp car it might cost you 5 hp.
So I thnk I'd give up 5hp and not have to worry about posting pics of plugs with the straps burned off ..... JMO
Old 09-30-2008, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BRAKE
Wow!
Thanks alot for all the info guys. BTW I'm running an Innovate LC-1 wideband, thats where Im getting my a/f's from. I just bought a set of TR8's and did a compression test. Highest cyl is 181 and lowest is 179 so I know the motor is fine. Well see how it does on TR8's with cam2.
If the TR8s start to foul, go to TR7s, also i would get the A/F at 11.7, don't make a full pass just yet, if you have a stetch of back road, i would do some testing 1st., & make sure the plugs look good. Keep us posted.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

1 car?
Really? My car will speckle a TR6 on the motor with 27* of timing
Yep. I know I'm just a dumbass but looks to me like you only gave 1 example of the TR6 not being enough. The fact of how many cars you have built, help built, or whatever you want to call it was not in question here.

I'm not the one wanting to engage in a pissing match here, or feel I have to prove anything. And yes, I agree, it never hurts to be on the safe side for no more of a loss than it would result in, but the simple fact is, the plugs did not cause the problem. And another fact is, that Tr6's are sufficient to handle stock compression with a 150 shot. PERIOD. I am done with this thread..
Old 09-30-2008, 11:46 PM
11 Second Club

i lost track....... whose pissing further right now? and whose e-**** is the biggest?
Old 10-01-2008, 06:10 AM
9 Second Club

Yep. I know I'm just a dumbass but looks to me like you only gave 1 example of the TR6 not being enough. The fact of how many cars you have built, help built, or whatever you want to call it was not in question here.

I'm not the one wanting to engage in a pissing match here, or feel I have to prove anything. And yes, I agree, it never hurts to be on the safe side for no more of a loss than it would result in, but the simple fact is, the plugs did not cause the problem. And another fact is, that Tr6's are sufficient to handle stock compression with a 150 shot. PERIOD. I am done with this thread..
It was nice talking to ya.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:16 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by danhr
i lost track....... whose pissing further right now? and whose e-**** is the biggest?

We are both trying to help out guys like you who dont know.

We just dont agree on some of the small details.

Quick Reply: Nitrous noob....what caused this?