Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Lift installer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift installer?

I'm ready to get my lift now, but I'm having the hardest time finding an installer. I want to make sure it's done right.

Can anyone recommend an installer????

Thanks!!!
Old 02-05-2009, 02:26 PM
Staging Lane

Default Lift

I do not know if you bought your lift yet. but I posted this for a friend on the FDT Forum http://seattleblueovals.com/index.ph...187.msg982#new

Equipment Sales Inc has installers. 1-877-844-2900. They also have a Portland co. So I believe they work the entire I-5/405 area.

Also, keep in mind, if you are buy an Asymetrical lift, like the one in the picture, they are NOT as easy to install as some might think. Each stand needs to be angled correctly. Also, installers have basic guidelines of where to install your lift. I had my floor marked up where I wanted it, and the installers said, "we'll install it anywhere you want, but experience has taught us that so many inches from a wall and so many feet from the front of the garage, works best". So I went with their recommendations, and I sure am glad that I did. Otherwise I'd be crowded against one wall, and squeezing between the front of my car and the work bench.

Last edited by GT-347; 02-05-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

there are lift guys that will be at the swapmeet this weekend, iin the Pavilion ask them lol
Old 02-05-2009, 03:03 PM
Staging Lane

its easy to install yourself
Old 02-05-2009, 03:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

I paid a guy to install mine, and after watching him do it, I had an "I could have done that" moment.

1. Get a big hammer drill with big drill bit
2. Get an anchor kit with 3/4" concrete anchor studs
3. Get some thin metal shims (may come with the lift or install kit)

Drill big holes according to template. Set lift in place, install studs, use a level to plum the lift posts and shim under the lift plates at anchor bolts where necessary.

That's the hardest part (which ain't all that hard). Then it's a matter of hooking up the cable or hydraulics, some electrical, making sure the safeties are working properly, and you're done.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GT-347
Equipment Sales Inc has installers. 1-877-844-2900. They also have a Portland co. So I believe they work the entire I-5/405 area.

Also, keep in mind, if you are buy an Asymetrical lift, like the one in the picture, they are NOT as easy to install as some might think. Each stand needs to be angled correctly. Also, installers have basic guidelines of where to install your lift. I had my floor marked up where I wanted it, and the installers said, "we'll install it anywhere you want, but experience has taught us that so many inches from a wall and so many feet from the front of the garage, works best". So I went with their recommendations, and I sure am glad that I did. Otherwise I'd be crowded against one wall, and squeezing between the front of my car and the work bench.
Thanks! I think I'll go to the swap meet Saturday and talk with some of those guys as well. I have a couple details I need to figure out. I'm 90% sure my location will be fine. It'll be roughly centered in a 24x28 garage, but closer to the doors than to the back wall to leave plenty of workbench space. I'm thinking it'll work out to around 6' from either wall and about 10' from the door. I'm curious though, exactly how many feet from the door/wall did they recommend?
Old 02-05-2009, 05:08 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Crisisman
I'm ready to get my lift now, but I'm having the hardest time finding an installer. I want to make sure it's done right.

Can anyone recommend an installer????

Thanks!!!
What kind of lift? 2 or 4 post? I cannot imagine anyone who thinks they need a lift - who doesn't already have the skills to install it.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Crisisman
Thanks! I think I'll go to the swap meet Saturday and talk with some of those guys as well. I have a couple details I need to figure out. I'm 90% sure my location will be fine. It'll be roughly centered in a 24x28 garage, but closer to the doors than to the back wall to leave plenty of workbench space. I'm thinking it'll work out to around 6' from either wall and about 10' from the door. I'm curious though, exactly how many feet from the door/wall did they recommend?
Pat, my lift is 12 ft from the edge of the bench to the centerline of the 2-post pillars. So that must have been what they recommended.

With the nose of any car extending forward of the Lift pillars, I have comfortable room to move my welder around etc. Just keep in mind where the nose of the car will be when it would be on the lift.

Good luck, and congrats. I don't know why I waited so many years to get one - but I am clearly spoiled with it now!
Old 02-05-2009, 09:06 PM
Staging Lane

we have a four post and didnt bolt it down we bought the casters made for it.. so when its lowered we can roll it around. by the way it is a bendpak
Old 02-05-2009, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm getting a 2 post swing arm with low profile arms. I've worked on the car on both 2 and 4 post lifts and prefer the 2 post with the suspension hanging free and no ramps to worry about.

As such, it needs to be bolted down and I have never done concrete bolts. The cost of screwing it up is way too high for me to take the chance. I'll gladly pay a little extra to be sure it's done right.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:50 PM
Pathological Modifier

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brian and I did it for ours... Not that tuff.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
I paid a guy to install mine, and after watching him do it, I had an "I could have done that" moment.

1. Get a big hammer drill with big drill bit
2. Get an anchor kit with 3/4" concrete anchor studs
3. Get some thin metal shims (may come with the lift or install kit)

Drill big holes according to template. Set lift in place, install studs, use a level to plum the lift posts and shim under the lift plates at anchor bolts where necessary.

That's the hardest part (which ain't all that hard). Then it's a matter of hooking up the cable or hydraulics, some electrical, making sure the safeties are working properly, and you're done.
I imagine it lifts those Fiero's pretty quick....
Old 02-06-2009, 07:08 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NWDragRacer
I cannot imagine anyone who thinks they need a lift - who doesn't already have the skills to install it.
that's what I was thinking...

Originally Posted by Ryan K
Brian and I did it for ours... Not that tuff.
if those two can do it,
it can't be that hard

then again,
I can understand wanting to be able to hold someone responsible if there's issues
Old 02-06-2009, 02:40 PM
Staging Lane

I have a BendPac symetrical 2 post above ground, I installed it myself. Concrete lagbolts are easy to install the whole process took me about 8 hrs. They give you a floor plan and all the measurements, I even wired it, easier than most people think. Make sure the slab your bolting it to is thick enough and you will need a friend to help. It would have cost me 500.00 to have someone else do it.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright, someone said they'd come over and help me when it gets here. So, here's the plan. Once it's here I'll throw a little "install" party. The extra hands will come it handy for lugging the heavy parts around and anyone with experience can help with the fiddly bits. I'll provide the pizza and something to drink. I'll post up a date once it's actually here and the weather looks like it'll be decent on a Saturday. Maybe we can get Lane to bring some of his Chili?

Pat
Old 02-07-2009, 02:43 AM
11 Second Club

cool cool,

I definately don't have any skills,
but I'm more than willing to help move some heavy parts

let us know.

Russ
Old 02-08-2009, 03:05 PM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

You can do this yourself. My two poster hoist was taken apart so I couldn't see how it went together and I still figured it out. The key is to get a stout roto-hammer (rent or buy) and then get a good assortment of metal shims. For anchor bolts I used these http://www.simpsonanchors.com/Catalo...-hd/index.html you can buy them at any concrete foundation supply place and according to the structural engineer that I use for my Design & Consulting work he says they're the BEST! Don't just get the Home Depot type of concrete anchors or you"ll be sorry, they weren't designed for your type of application!

Quick Reply: Lift installer?